News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Corsair 1850  (Read 3714 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Corsair 1850
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
OK first crack at a general 1850 point Corsair army, what do you guys think?

A general play book run down would be:
Balestrike/hornets transports ASAP (Voidstorm and Reavers playing clean up, with Reavers as a backup to pop armour), then tear down any left over armour. Order might swap around depending on what hits the table.

Malevolent would be the rabid dog on a leash waiting for anything that gets too close to the back line.

Cloud Dancers go looking for T4+ units to terrify at range.

I expect either people will go hard for the warp hunter or try to avoid it, either way, its job is to melt whatever is silly enough to get within range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1850 points
Corsair JetPack (CJP)
Corsair Combat Drugs (CCD)
Brace of Pistols (BoP)
xxx - Base cost of unit, blanked out to avoid GW's hit squads ;)

110 Prince - CJP, Void Saber, ForceShield, CCD
 - Joins Voidstorm

815 Cotorie 1 - Titan Breakers
 HQ
 65 - Baron - CJP, Void Saber, ForceShield
  - Joins Reaver
 Troop
 190 - Reaver (10), CJP, BoP, Haywire Grenades, CCD

Fast
 xxx - Nightwing
 285 - Hornets (3) Pulse lasers, Kinetic Shroud

Heavy
 150 - Balestrike (5) CJP, Dark Lances

880 Cororie 2 - Hate Bringers
 65 - Baron - CJP, Void Saber, ForceShield
  - Joins VoidStorm

Troop
 150 - Cloud Dancers (6), Splinter Cannons

Elites
 245 - Malevolent(10) CJP, BoP, CCD, 2 x Power Weapon
 235 - VoidStorm(10) CJP, BoP, CCD, 2 x Power Weapon

Heavy
 xxx - Warp Hunter
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:38:54 AM by magenb »

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
Re: Corsair 1850
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:12 AM »
Looking good Magenb, couple of pointers:

1. Some units are a bit bloated, definitely go minimum upgrades and minimum squad sizes as much as you possibly can so that you can maximize threats and scoring potential, e.g. spread out the hornets into 2-3 squads and remove the shrouds -- how often do you turbo your hornets?! One exception would be the Reavers, but not the Cloud Dancers.

2. Titan Breakers + Hate Bringers are nasty, but Sky Burners are INSANE, probably Hate Bringers after that. Given that Preferred Enemy vehicles or whatever titan breakers has only applies to To Hit rolls, it's not so great. Also you need to always remember to nominate your Hate Bringers target at the beginning of the game -- so far I have forgotten to do so 100% of the time.

3. Shadowfields, anyone? Yes please!

4. Malevolents are rabid dogs, that's for sure, but they need to be off the leash and down the opponent's throat from Turn 1, not hanging back. Causing negative morale on your backfield troops, and given that they don't give up a killpoint when killed, means they should be taking all the heat up front for as long as possible.

5. If you're going to take Kinetic Shrouds, take them on Nightwings and Warp Hunters, in which case they need to Deep Strike, in which case make them Sky Burners -- and profit!

6. Nightwings are pretty good, but I would rather see the points in a Void Shield Generator for this list. But then you would need a CAD, which you could do by switching one of the Coteries to a CAD, but you would need to add another Prince, which seems fine. A jetbike Prince is definitely the meaner, tougher way to go, he just gets so much more movement and toughness.

Those are my thoughts, enjoy!

Ibushi out
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »
Looking good Magenb, couple of pointers:

1. Some units are a bit bloated, definitely go minimum upgrades and minimum squad sizes as much as you possibly can so that you can maximize threats and scoring potential, e.g. spread out the hornets into 2-3 squads and remove the shrouds -- how often do you turbo your hornets?! One exception would be the Reavers, but not the Cloud Dancers.

I only have 3 Hornets, so I just lumped them in, but I'll happily add another one to my shopping list ;)

I thought about running 2, 3 man squads of cloud dancers but 1 death before leadership rolls might mean I may not be able to regain control of them. Same idea was used for running 10 man infantry squads.

2. Titan Breakers + Hate Bringers are nasty, but Sky Burners are INSANE, probably Hate Bringers after that. Given that Preferred Enemy vehicles or whatever titan breakers has only applies to To Hit rolls, it's not so great. Also you need to always remember to nominate your Hate Bringers target at the beginning of the game -- so far I have forgotten to do so 100% of the time.

I considered Skyburners, but I wasn't sure how useful it would be given the mobility in the force. With my CWE I normally only DS things that are short range like Fire Dragons or a Wraithbomb.

Yeah Void shield does take a little bit of the sting out of the firt turn.

4. Malevolents are rabid dogs, that's for sure, but they need to be off the leash and down the opponent's throat from Turn 1, not hanging back. Causing negative morale on your backfield troops, and given that they don't give up a killpoint when killed, means they should be taking all the heat up front for as long as possible.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about this one. Since the Voidstorm and Reavers are going to have to push up, it would mean the morale bubble would be closer to them.

6. Nightwings are pretty good, but I would rather see the points in a Void Shield Generator for this list. But then you would need a CAD, which you could do by switching one of the Coteries to a CAD, but you would need to add another Prince, which seems fine. A jetbike Prince is definitely the meaner, tougher way to go, he just gets so much more movement and toughness.

If I swap a Nightwing for VS, I would need something as AA as well. Bunker with Quad-Gun and VS isn't a bad combo. Every game I've had to deal with a flyer of some description, but then I'm not too sure what to leave behind to man it.

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
Good feedback and some legitimate concerns.

Off the top, if you have 3 hornets, then run 3x1 hornets! Once you get to 4+ then run them in pairs I reckon.

On the "why deepstrike" thing, bear in mind they only scatter D6 inches and REROLL their reserve rolls, this is seriously the creme de la creme of deep strike assault. Jetpacks are not "fast" at getting into position, they are pretty good at getting OUT of position (reckless abandon and thrust move are both after you've already shot your weapons), so deep strike really helps get them into position. Warp Hunters/Nightwing can both deep strike rather than deploying normally, which gives them a 4++ with a re-roll thanks to Kinetic Shrouds, so now you don't have to jink next turn and basically get a 'free' second round of shooting -- what's not to love!

If you have Voidstorms and Reavers AND Malevolents, my suggestion is start the Malevolents on the table deployed as aggressively as possible, and just run them straight at whatever they can hurt the most to get attention. Voidstorms and Reavers cannot tank damage very well, so use them as finesse hit teams to target specific weak points, probably by deep striking them so the opponent cannot anticipate where you will hit.

Regarding Flyers, they don't score mission objectives so you can generally just ignore them and profit. If you are being utterly destroyed by someone's airforce, just learn to run away better because a quad gun or nightwing won't help. A nightwing is a great unit, it would just be lower on my list of priorities than jetbikes, hunters, hornets, reavers, VSG, and possibly malevolents. Voidstorms would be low on the list too, those boys are not cheap.

Really looking forward to seeing how your boys do on the tabletop, please share your experiences!

Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.