News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Spartacus: Vengeance  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Spartacus: Vengeance
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 01:30:24 AM »
Tell Glaber that his "heir" is really the off spring of the biggest apparent nemesis?

Also, do you find it weird that with the thousands of members we have on this board, apparently we are the only two that watch this series?  :P
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
I was thinking more of throwing Ashur off a cliff. They keep showing that damn cliff in all three seasons and only twice have we really had someone thrown off it. Think of the potential! Now that Oenomaus has had an eye taken out we can set him up to be a Roman age Nick Fury in a spin off series.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »
Except Ashur is with Glaber at Vesuvius, and I am kind of assuming that Lucretia is still at the ludus with Illythia.  Also, I don't think we can expect a "spin off" considering in history Oenomaus dies in an early battle, but with little to no record as to when, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets killed off in the final battle of this season.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
Ashur has shown a dedicated history of getting the beslubber out of dodge when the odds turn against him. A swift pair of legs is often the most sublime of defensive positions. They've taken a pretty relaxed view of history so don't get too focused on who should die and when. Glaber's continued existence is ambiguous so he could go either way for example.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »
They have taken a relaxed view of history, but for the major parts they are staying true to history.  Either way, we will see how this pans out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start following the major points of history more closely.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
As long as get an ending along the lines of season one and Kill them all I'll be happy. Yet this also means another year or so off before any new episodes come to light. Season 3 was given the green light last November so we'll be seeing at least some of this group again.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »
But not nearly as long as the wait we had after season one as the main reason that took so long is because Andy was diagnosed with cancer.
I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 1, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
Totally called that Oenomaus would die this episode.  And oh my god were people dropping like flies!

Ashur dead!  WOO!
Glaber dead!  WOO!
Illythia dead!  WOO!
Lucretia dead!  WOO!

Other than that, didn't I say that they were gonna follow history when it came to the battle?
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
Illythia only counts as a half.  ;)

Finally someone else goes over that damned cliff!  Waiting, waiting, waiting..... YES!

By that you mean following history except for all the things that clearly weren't?  ;D Oenomaus is still supposed to be alive and it wasn't just the Dirty Quartet that came down the mountain but most of the army (with vines and not just running out the front while the ENTIRE Roman force forgot how to look behind themselves). For pure rule of cool I am easily forgiving four guys managing to maintain a continual barrage from two siege engines as it was just pure WOO HOO material to watch. Very fun to watch and in the cartoon style I love in the show so I'm not complaining in the slightest.

Ashur deserved more than that. Sure, it was a healing exercise for Naevia but it seemed to me to be just a "now you die" moment rather than the sort of revenge I'd been hoping for.

Moving on though, I wonder if we'll get a good Pompey character in the next season or will Crassus be our focal adversarial point?
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 5, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
My understanding of the history is sadly taken from wiki so take this with a grain of salt lol.

Oenomaus was known to have taken part in the battle against gowned.  But in the second major battle of the third servile war it is assumed that he died in a previous battle.

So really it is staying in line with history (if wiki can be believed).

But I agree I was kind if disappointed in how ashur died.

But yeah some things were "rule of cool" and cool they were!
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
Oenomaus was known to have taken part in the battle against gowned.  But in the second major battle of the third servile war it is assumed that he died in a previous battle.

Wiki not your friend at times (true story). Oenomaus survives later on till after Rome begins dispatching actual fighting forces rather than militia and hired men. He doesn't last long to be sure but he was about after Vesuvius. Spartacus split his forces into at least three to use their mobility as an advantage and not to form an obvious strong point the Romans could focus upon. Pillage the land, recruit, rearm, train, and so forth.  This did invite defeat in detail however as if Rome could engage one of the splinter forces it was sure to out number it. Not that it'll impact the story in the slightest so it's not a biggie.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #31 on: April 8, 2012, 12:58:20 AM »

Also, do you find it weird that with the thousands of members we have on this board, apparently we are the only two that watch this series?  :P

Several aren't active, or rarely active anymore (I'm one of those bastards)

Then you got the country issue, I watched the series from the begining, only through Dling, a friend told me, etc... If that friend hadn't told me, I would have never watched or known this excellent series.

Not much to say here, difference with real history, doesn't really matter/I don't really care anyway. I studied latin for too many years, I did some research on this, even though I was already pretty familiar with the guy.

I'm hoping that this serie does have a (good) end, so many series keep getting cancelled, it's getting anoying.
My understanding of the history is sadly taken from wiki so take this with a grain of salt lol.

It's hard to get a good picture anyway, the only sources are text who were translated, it's all very relative and not 100% sure, this is exactly why I don't mind the producers making some changes.

Wiki not your friend at times (true story).
For several subjects, wiki is complete scheisse indeed. rely on books and people, not on wikipedia lol.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 8, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »
I never said that Wiki had stated that Oenomaus died in the first battle against Glaber.  Just that he died in an early battle before Crixus dies.

This is what wikipedia says about Onemaus:
Oenomaus was a gladiator from Gaul,[1] who escaped from the gladiatorial school of Lentulus Batiatus in Capua. Together with the Thracian Spartacus and a fellow Gaul, Crixus, he became one of the leaders of rebellious slaves during the Third Servile War (73-71 BC), but died early in the war.

Oenomaus was involved in one of the first major successes of the slave army, the rout of the army of the praetor Gaius Claudius Glaber, who had tried to lay siege to the slave army near Mount Vesuvius.

Oenomaus fell in an early battle even before his fellow commander, Crixus, died, possibly during the winter of 73-72 BC when the slave armies were plundering cities and towns in the south of Italy.

How close is that to what you know about him Rummy?
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 4, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
..... and the third season will be the last. They're wanting to end on a high rather than whimper out with a pop. Understandable while also disappointing.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 5, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
Well that... ummm... "beslubbering sucks" is about as good of a term I can think of.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 7, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »
Last season will be aired January 2013. I suspect there may be bloodshed and violence.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 7, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
 :'(

They could have dragged this out to make it a long running season.  Oh well, if you suspect there will be bloodshed and violence, my prediction is for extreme bloodshed and violence!
I knew I had fans!!!