News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Advice on Harlequin usage (w/ Biel Tan)  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Heylel Teomim

• Ai yiyiyiyiyiyiyi erp!
Advice on Harlequin usage (w/ Biel Tan)
« on: February 19, 2002, 01:38:48 AM »
To preface, I've never played harlequins before.  They were unavailable to me when i used to play 2nd edition, and until recently when my gaming group decided to pick up WH40k again, they werent around for 3e either.  Its been a while, and I'm rusty, so pardon my stupid questions  :)

I've been fiddling with what I have at hand, and realized that the way I played Eldar in 2nd edition just isnt gonna work anymore.  I have alot of aspects, and very few guardians (those old plastics sucked).  So Biel Tan was an obvious choice due to my models at hand.  I've also recently come into a smallish force of Harlequins.  Not enough to field an army, but enough to form some squads.

Basically, I'm wondering what the best way to go about integrating some Harlies into a Biel Tan force would be.  Points arent much of an issue, our games run towards the 2000 or so end of things.  I've got a Great Harli, Shadowseer, Solitaire, and 8 or 10 Troupers.  No death jesters :(

I've been fiddling with combat calculators and so far the Solitaire looks alot better on paper than the dice seem to tell me.  There's a strong possibility, however, that I'm not using him the right way, so I'd love any advice on how to use (or not use at all) him.  The tests I've run have been primarily against chaos and tyranids, and the only thing he can kill reliably are terminators on a blitz.

I hadn't intended on using the Shadowseer, but having fiddled with a Solitaire and not been so overwhelmed, I've considered the Shadowseer instead, since he could join a banshee unit and conceal it from prying eyes.  If there's a really obvious use I'm missing, someone kick me, I'd love to hear it.

Troupers I've been pretty happy with, figured I'd throw a single squad in as an Elite since Biel Tan have to take guardians in those roles, and I really hate the guardian models from 2nd (and dont have the money to spend on petty troops right now).

In a nutshell, just lookin for advice on using Harlies with Craftworld, Biel Tan in particular =)

Thanks!

Heylel Teomim

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re:Advice on Harlequin usage (w/ Biel Tan)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 03:56:47 AM »

Basically, I'm wondering what the best way to go about integrating some Harlies into a Biel Tan force would be.  Points arent much of an issue, our games run towards the 2000 or so end of things.  I've got a Great Harli, Shadowseer, Solitaire, and 8 or 10 Troupers.  No death jesters :(

Well, since Biel-tan has massive amoutns of hard-a**ed troops in the form of Aspects, you can add teh Harlequins to boost the Swordwind where it needs help. If that means joining a Shadowseer to teh Banshees on foot or letting the Great Harlequin lead teh flank assault together with the scorpions while the Court takes on the main battle-line is really up to you.

Troupers I've been pretty happy with, figured I'd throw a single squad in as an Elite since Biel Tan have to take guardians in those roles, and I really hate the guardian models from 2nd (and dont have the money to spend on petty troops right now).

I never liked the plastic guardians from 2nd ed either (I don't like the current plastic models either, for that matter). I like the old metal guardians.
However, a squad of Harlequin Troupers will suck a lot of points out of you account, and be a mighty good fire-magnet, if nothing else. Just basic equipment (no leaders, grenades or such) and maybe Powerweapons against Marines and you'll have a point-worth squad to back up any other main assault unit, such as Scorpions, Banshees or Spiders. They are very very quick, too.

I wouldn't primarily go for a Solitaire. A Great Harlequin is powerful enough without being a nail in anyones eye, however the Solitaire is a nail-factory!

Tell us how it goes!

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.