News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The (slow) return of a god  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Farseer Ari'Torcis

• Vengence is at hand.
The (slow) return of a god
« on: January 20, 2005, 11:22:36 PM »
I read a post somewhere else on this and just cant get over it.  What do you think will happen (hundreds of eldar generations down the road) when Ynnead finially returns.  Would the dark eldar finally stop trying to fill their internal void with the pain of others?  What would happen to the infinity circut?  What would be the reactions of the chaos gods?  I'm glad that GW put his return in the plot, but I wish there was more to do with this in the current plot.

Also, does anyone know of any campaigns that have somthing to do with Ynneads return?  (Official or otherwise)   Sorry if I am mulling over an old topic, this is just too cool.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
Re: The (slow) return of a god
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 12:19:28 AM »
Quote from: Farseer Ari'Torcis
What do you think will happen... when Ynnaed finally return.
Erm, my first response would have to be: "A lot".

Would the dark eldar finally stop trying to fill their internal void with the pain of others?
Depends on how you view Ynnaed as being birthed.  For me the dark eldar would have to go through a significant paradigm shift... ;)

What would happen to the Infinity Circuit?
Ynnaed is said to be slumbering in the Infinity Circuit or, rather, the Eternal Matrix.  Consider what happened to the warp when Slaanesh awoke...

What would be the reactions of the Chaos gods?
To turn with less speed?

...but I wish there was more to do with this in the current plot.
GW tend to fervently avoid anything that is truly interesting.

Kage

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 12:24:46 AM »

Also, does anyone know of any campaigns that have somthing to do with Ynneads return?  (Official or otherwise) 

Not likely, given that Ynnead and the Rhana Dandra are set to happen only in the extreme far distant future, millions upon millions of years from now. It's also very non 'Imperio-centric', so probably won't get a look in.

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 12:37:30 AM »
  First off, Ynnead wouldn't be returning, he hasn't been born in the first place yet,

Secondly, it would never happen.  As Lomendil said, it is far into the future, and this sort of fluff is just in there to make the game seem "cool".

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 07:15:06 AM »
...Rhana Dandra are set to happen only in the extreme far distant future, millions upon millions of years from now.
Although to be fair it is meant to be suggestive of 'Armageddon' in the Christian sense: the great ending, and an ending that isn't happening yet but some people say that it is... or that it is a metaphor for what is happening now... or we're just on the cusp of it.

Kage

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 07:25:01 AM »
I have not heard any mention of an Eldar saying that the Great Battle was here, now. Have you?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline BunniRabbi

• Reason & Faith must coincide, else one risks both.
    • Burgeon Battle Wargame Wiki: A Fan-Collaborated Wargame System
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 12:33:21 AM »
      I've always thought that it would be a neat idea for GW to have a signifigant amount of time go by in game between editions.  1000 years or so, for instance.  It would be easier to justify the creation of new armies, new models and new special characters, and old ones could be saved through a number of loop-holes (after all, what can't you do with theoretical physics and theoretical technology in a fictional setting?).
Interested in an open-source, player made wargame system?  We could use your help getting off the ground.  http://burgeonbattle.pbworks.com/

Offline Farseer Ari'Torcis

• Vengence is at hand.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 10:32:18 AM »
This is very true.  I do see a number of benefits other than the ones described above including; (first and formost) being able to create changes in the plots of existing races (such as Ynnead's awakening), weaponry advances (new weapons and models), ect. 
One would not necessarily have to get rid of their old models either.  The universe is a big place and (unlike starcraft) when you upgrade the armor of your marines you still have to get the new stuff to them.  The old models just havent gotten the new stuff.
While GW does do good stuff, it sucks that they miss some other really good things as far as plots go.