News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are they really gods?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline -=Abyss=-

• ~Holding Heaven in your Arms..~
Are they really gods?
« on: January 9, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »
Just wondering if I am right, I don't think Khanie, the laughing god, Khorne, Tzeenctch , Murgle, Slaneesh are gods, for one gods cannot die, the only way is that there was no worshipers, also Khanie went into a fight with She who thirsts and nearly lost his life, this is a proof that he is not a god because gods cannot die. So if they were all enetitys would it be possilbe that Jehovah still exists? but due to the Nazi like communism that the IMperium enforces that no one worships him anymore so that he is forgotten? I don't know just wondering, I think I am wrong hahah  :D
Index Astartes Litanies Verse 1:13: TO ME MY BROTHERS!

Offline Flash_hound

Re: Are they really gods?
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2005, 07:12:43 PM »
I would say that they aren't gods anyway since its fictional.

But seriously, these gods can die.  The reason khaine was about to die, was because of his entity getting destroyed, his physical being or attachment to the semblence of a plain that the warp/universe is.  And all the eldar gods are dead, as in the bodies that they used to manifest themselves in.  There spirits are still around, just not nearly as powerful because they have less worshipers.  Also I don't think that the 'fight' between slaanesh and khaine was really a fight of the sorts that we think it is.  Its more slaanesh was killing khaines worshipers, so slaanesh killed many eldar, well khaine tried to keep himself worshiped by the remaining eldar.  Thats just my take on it though.

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »
  Remember, the Norse gods were able to, and did die.  Making the gods in this game be able to die just adds another level of darkness to the fluff.  All those that you mentioned, fluffwise, are real gods.  However, the C'Tan aren't, to my recollection.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2005, 08:33:41 PM »
Anyone being with that power level and with the ability to gift their followers with that level of dedicated abilities, could easily be considered Gods.

Gods can, and will, die when the situation is right. As Dark Flame mentioned with the Norse Gods, prophecy described how they would die. When the situation was right, fate would be enacted.

Faith lends substance, without followers a God is powerless (without Discworld comparisons at this point). When you destroy their followers, all Gods die.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2005, 08:46:18 PM »
Just wondering if I am right, I don't think Khanie, the laughing god, Khorne, Tzeenctch , Murgle, Slaneesh are gods, for one gods cannot die, the only way is that there was no worshipers, also Khanie went into a fight with She who thirsts and nearly lost his life, this is a proof that he is not a god because gods cannot die. So if they were all enetitys would it be possilbe that Jehovah still exists? but due to the Nazi like communism that the IMperium enforces that no one worships him anymore so that he is forgotten? I don't know just wondering, I think I am wrong hahah :D

No offense meant by this, but you messed up spelling alittle much. Khanie is Khaine, Tzentch not Tzeenctch, and Nurgle not Murgle. The last two may be spelling errors, but just correcting you.

Honestly, I think that it shows noone is invicible, even in the land of happy fairy gods.

Offline Insidious Heresy

• General, Hero of Medusa V
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2005, 08:58:11 PM »
Considering that a god is merely something that is worshipped, then they are gods, and it depends on what mythology you a reading on whether or not a deity can die ie. Greek gods couldn't/didn't die, Egyptian ones could... though IIRC there is only mention of one or two of the Egyptian gods being killed.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »
First off, 40k is a fictional universe and, as such, is subject to "suspension of disbelief".  This means that we're not talking about reality, or whatever an individual determines as reality and that also includes matters of personal faith or organised religion.  In other words, do not take any comments in any thread dealing with religion to heart or, for that matter, to soul, suman-ami, ka or whatever.  It's a game that, admittedly, people draw from the real world either directly or caricature.

So, if you take offence at any comments that may be considered blasphemy, heresy, worthy of a jihad, or whatever, then perhaps this is not the thread for you.  I doubt that I'm going to say anything of that ilk, but it's worth covering your bases! :D

Quote from: Angel's Saphire
Just wondering if I am right, I don't think Khanie, the laughing god, Khorne, Tzeenctch , Murgle, Slaneesh are gods, for one gods cannot die...
Depends on the faith, as subsequently pointed out.  In terms of the 40k 'fluff' gods do appear to die or, for me, get changed from one form to another.  (This is the "Greatest Secret" in reference to the eldar gods, but that's a story for another thread.)  Heck, you can even see it in organised religions in one form or another.  The big JC, for example, died.  He just got better again.

(Okay, maybe a bit of blasphemy there.)

...the only way is that there was no worshipers...
In terms of the 'fluff', remember that Khaine was (if you believe the superficial intepretation) affected - wounded, corrupted - by the death of Kaelis-Ra/Nightbringer.  If something can be wounded, it can be killed.  Everything else is a matter of scale.

So if they were all enetitys would it be possilbe that Jehovah still exists?
Or that it is changed from one from to another because of altering worship, organised religion, etc.  One should always remember that religions have a tendency of changing the nature of their own particular deity! :D

but due to the Nazi like communism that the IMperium enforces that no one worships him anymore so that he is forgotten?
Or that it/whatever never existed, and was bit a fragmentary imagination of a short period of time.

Quote from: Flash_hound
I would say that they aren't gods anyway since its fictional.
Of course, one could say reality does not provide the validity... Okay, I'll stop there.  Again, it's a game.  Let's not get mired in personal opinions on religion.  They always send threads into degeneration!

And all the eldar gods are dead, as in the bodies that they used to manifest themselves in.
Well, the full physical manifestation of the eldar gods is a somewhat later addition to the 'fluff', and arguably a poor one at that.  Furthermore, it can be seen in many different lights.  For me there is no such thing as 'full physical manifestation', but rather the investment of an avatar with a measure of the power of the god.  Funnily enough that is practically the description of an avatar! ;)

Its more slaanesh was killing khaines worshipers, so slaanesh killed many eldar, well khaine tried to keep himself worshiped by the remaining eldar.
Well, the original 'fluff' had the fight between Slaanesh (since it was an eldar god) and Khorne (since it was a 'war' god) and that, during the fight, Khaine 'drifted down through the warp' where he subsequently 'fractured' and took residence in the heart of the craftworlds... Or the soul of an eldar.  It all depends on what edition of the 'fluff' you read.

Quote from: Dark Flame
Anyone being with that power level and with the ability to gift their followers with that level of dedicated abilities, could easily be considered Gods.
And, indeed, it depends on the perspective of the people calling the shots as to what is a 'god' and what is not, in just the same way as on another thread the whole Clarke quote was brought up with regards to technology.

Quote from: Dark Flame
When you destroy their followers, all Gods die.
Although in 40k they might slumber...

Kage

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 03:16:18 AM »
In 40k, gods seem to come in two forms

1st- Warp entities that are the embodiment of certain things, be they emotions or a race. The Eldar gods, the Chaos gods.
2nd- Really strong guys, like the C'tan and Emperor, who are practically god-like in power, despite not being warp entities.
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 08:45:08 AM »
An interesting turn in philosophy from 'does God exist?' to 'do fictional Gods in a board game exist?'
 :D

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 10:28:22 AM »
  Kage, when you quoted me, you should have put Barr'El O'Rum's name there.

On the Jehovah thing, possibly it does, possibly it doesn't, and possibly it never existed in the first place.  None of us can say that for sure.

Offline Meithose

• "Virescit vulnere virtus" "Placidus Mortis"
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 06:28:15 PM »
The emperor is seen as a god just like Julius Caesar was. The caesars afterwards were to be seen as walking gods among men.

I believe a crap load of Norse gods died. There were Light and Shadow gods. and I believe Tyr god of war lost his eye and later died or something along those lines. Some shadow gods killed some light gods and some light gods killed some shadow gods. The thunder god Thor son of Odin came close to dying many a time, it was all to create a backround to thier culture. The thing I like is these aren't gods of creation (creation of world) they are but powerful entities who's power levels them to a god. It depends on what you see as a god. Many of these Mythological figures were called gods long before the gods of creation of the modern day were thought of and thus called gods.
"And where they find a mountain of slain,
 Send one to climb, and looking down beneath,
 There they will find him at his manly length
 With his face up to heaven, in that red 
    monument
 Which the good sword had digg'd...
- Thermopylae Gate: The ultimate Deus ex Machina

Offline Sox'li

• Laughing in the face of Danger
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 08:37:04 PM »
The emperor is seen as a god just like Julius Caesar was. The caesars afterwards were to be seen as walking gods among men.

I believe a crap load of Norse gods died. There were Light and Shadow gods. and I believe Tyr god of war lost his eye and later died or something along those lines. Some shadow gods killed some light gods and some light gods killed some shadow gods. The thunder god Thor son of Odin came close to dying many a time, it was all to create a backround to thier culture. The thing I like is these aren't gods of creation (creation of world) they are but powerful entities who's power levels them to a god. It depends on what you see as a god. Many of these Mythological figures were called gods long before the gods of creation of the modern day were thought of and thus called gods.

Tyr lost his hand to Fenris, the great Wolf, when he tried to feed/cjain him.
Odin gave his eye for a drink of the fount of knowledge (or something about knowledge)
Baldir was killed by his blind brother who threw mistletoe at him (long story)

The gods were in two groups, the Aesir (thye most like humans) and Vanir (gods of fertility, love, wealth). There was little difference between the groups, and they later lived together in Asgard.

In Ragnarok, all the gods died. In several myths from various civilizations, gods died. In Greek, Pan dies. In Egyptian, Osiris dies. Gods CAN die, but they can only really be killed by other "immortals"
I am a monument to all your sins.

"Discovery is always a rape of the natural world. Always."
-Jurassic Park

Offline DaWarbossRedtooth

• jus necrons now
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 09:09:35 PM »
I thought loki feed the blind baldir mistletoe
also are the chaos "gods", actual "gods"?
I just thought they were very powerful warp entities that the traitor space marines decided to worship
GW costs too much

Offline Meithose

• "Virescit vulnere virtus" "Placidus Mortis"
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 10:10:33 PM »

Tyr lost his hand to Fenris, the great Wolf, when he tried to feed/cjain him.
Odin gave his eye for a drink of the fount of knowledge (or something about knowledge)
Baldir was killed by his blind brother who threw mistletoe at him (long story)

The gods were in two groups, the Aesir (thye most like humans) and Vanir (gods of fertility, love, wealth). There was little difference between the groups, and they later lived together in Asgard.

In Ragnarok, all the gods died. In several myths from various civilizations, gods died. In Greek, Pan dies. In Egyptian, Osiris dies. Gods CAN die, but they can only really be killed by other "immortals"

Yeah, I haven't taken Norse Mythology since Gr. 9 english, just remember someone losing something. And the shawdow and light gods is straight from the comic "Thor" just had that lying in front of me and was like weeee!
Wasn't there something about 2 ragnaroks but on the first one Odin was able to overcome it. Or something along those lines, something about Odin stopping something, but tthen it happened agai to his son.

I dunno.

Weeee!
"And where they find a mountain of slain,
 Send one to climb, and looking down beneath,
 There they will find him at his manly length
 With his face up to heaven, in that red 
    monument
 Which the good sword had digg'd...
- Thermopylae Gate: The ultimate Deus ex Machina

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 10:15:26 PM »
I just thought they were very powerful warp entities that the traitor space marines decided to worship

That falls into my definition of a 40k God. A divine entity strengthened by worship.
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
Kage, when you quoted me, you should have put Barr'El O'Rum's name there.

That was me.  Gods going into torpor was covered in Pratchet's "Small Gods." Hence my mention to him. Not that I expect everyone to have read everything that I have. That is hubris worth of a God's attention.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sox'li

• Laughing in the face of Danger
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »
No, the gods decided that Baldir was so beautiful that they made everything in the world promice not to harm him (also because Frigg, his mother, was having prophetic dreams of Baldir's death). Everything was asked, that is, except mistletoe, because "of it's youth" (not sure what that means, too young to do any damage?). Loki tricked Hod, Loki's blind brother, to throw the mistletoe at Baldir during a celebration, in which all the gods are throwing everything in arm's reach at Baldir. Baldir dies because of the Mistletoe, Hod is sentenced to death, Loki is exiled, yada yada.

Also, Baldir wasn't blind.

As to Norse creation myths, PM me and I'll see what I can find...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 10:36:56 PM by Autarch Nethrakel »
I am a monument to all your sins.

"Discovery is always a rape of the natural world. Always."
-Jurassic Park

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 01:52:23 AM »
Some versions of that story is about Loke teaching Höd how to shoot with a bow and arrow, pointing the unwitting blind to shoot Balder...

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline DaWarbossRedtooth

• jus necrons now
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 07:07:54 AM »
wow i guess there are alot of variations of that story!
GW costs too much

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 07:12:05 AM »
Mythology tends to evolve, change and revise itself. Even in the times of their tellings these stories would have been varied and fractured (just like modern myths are today) and no, a millennia later, they are not less so (well, a little less, since the sources are fewer, but still). Same with every story retold; urban myths, religious myth (see: bible), folktale, rumours, gossip. It is the way of thse things.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.