News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Abandoning the Path of the Outcast to create a new colony.  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Charon

• Where's my coin mortal?
Abandoning the Path of the Outcast to create a new colony.
« on: January 13, 2005, 06:24:19 AM »
Hi all,

New to the 40konline 'Love it!' and new to Eldar.
When I first got the idea of starting an Eldar army I was heavily influenced by the Exodite fluff, both old GW and 'new' from the web.

Kage2020: Reading your excellent Tir'asur craftworld colony world post inspired me and made my mind up for me to go ahead with thinking up background material which combines Exodite and colony world Eldar. It is not my intention to steal any of your idea's.

The reason I've created this post is to find out if this fluff is 'un-Eldar' and also to try and find a name for the world/army as I'm not emersed deep enough into Eldar fluff to use or simulate Eldar language to create my own.

The Maidenworld had long been an Exodite world and a welcome place of rest for many of those who follow th path of the Outcast for a very long time after the Fall. This all changed when the World Spirit became infested by warp entities and legions of daemons materialised on the planet laying waste to the Exodite population. The daemons were defeated with the help of a combined Eldar force of Rangers and a Corsair fleet which headed the call for aid.
The victory was a hollow one though as the Exodite population had been slaughter to a point that they would dwindle to extinction within a few generations.
Harsh decisions had to be taken, guided by their surviving Seers the Exodites were convinced to give up their low-tech anti-decadence culture if they were to survive. The Seers had scried the paths of the Future and found only one chance for survival.
The King, nobles and most powerful Seers were slain during the war so the decision had to made by representatives of all remaining communities across the planet, many representatives the only survivers of theirs. Many voices cried out in dispair when they turned away from the path of the Exodite.
The Rangers and Corsairs were approached to establish themselves on the Maidenworld.
Some Rangers agreed, but most left to return to their wandering.
The Corsair fleet established a permanent base on the planet and slowly integrated into the new society.
In turn for a home the Rangers and Corsairs re-introduced the Maidenworlders to Eldar technology.
In time Craftworlds were approached, trade was set up and technology exchanged.
Aspect Shrines were erected as the society evolved though still linked to its Exodite past: Miltia would take up the Dire Avaneger aspect, Herders would take up that of the Shining Spears and Hunters those of the Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks.
More Outcasts found their way to the Outcast Maidenworld and the population thrived, raised it solar sails and stepped out into the galaxy.

Let me know what you think.
I'll add some colourscheme and tactics idea's to the appropriate forums in the course of time to fill out the look and feel of the Outcast/Maidenworlders.

"I would rather excel others in the knowledge of what is
excellent than in the extent of my powers and dominion"
                  - Alexander the Great -

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
Re: Abandoning the Path of the Outcast to create a new colony.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:43:01 PM »
Quote from: Charon
Kage2020: Reading your excellent Tir'asur craftworld colony world post inspired me and made my mind up for me to go ahead with thinking up background material which combines Exodite and colony world Eldar. It is not my intention to steal any of your idea's.
That is what it was meant for... And it is difficult to steal ideas about the 40k universe given the, erm, origin of the universe in the first place. ;)

This all changed when the World Spirit became infested by warp entities and legions of daemons materialised on the planet laying waste to the Exodite population.
The question here arises in how one views the World Spirit and how similar - or disimilar - it is to the Infinity Circuit.  Personally I include the potential of 'daemon infestation' of the 'wraithbone core' of the Infinity Circuit and would not see a problem with the infestation of a World Spirit.  But such a circumstance is, unsurprisingly, exceptional.  After all, the majority of 'fluff' in the 40k universe has to exceptional almost by definition.

The daemons were defeated with the help of a combined Eldar force of Rangers and a Corsair fleet which headed the call for aid.
Perhaps you have forgotten the root cause, which is the 'corruption' of the World Spirit?  Surely there are less, well, martial means of removing the spirits.  Given the 'fluff' on the direct and full physical manifestation of warp entities, one would imagine that it is their last recourse such that physical intervention might not be entirely effective.

Harsh decisions had to be taken, guided by their surviving Seers the Exodites were convinced to give up their low-tech anti-decadence culture if they were to survive.
The craftworld eldar are, arguably, just as "anti-decadent".  Furthermore, there are some that argue the Exodites are not 'low tech' but rather select to maintain technology as a less significant part of their society.  (Think Star Trek Insurrection as a rather obvious example...)

Many voices cried out in dispair when they turned away from the path of the Exodite.
Just a warning... Be careful when you refer to the 'path of the Exodite' since that can be taken to infer a connection with the Path system of the craftworld eldar.  Again, just a bit of a warning.

In time Craftworlds were approached, trade was set up and technology exchanged.
Remember that craftworlds exchange goods with the Exodite worlds, even though the latter tend to look down on the former.

More Outcasts found their way to the Outcast Maidenworld and the population thrived, raised it solar sails and stepped out into the galaxy.
It sounds that you just want an Outcast colony.  There is no reason that you cannot have this without reference to the Exodites.

Interesting idea, though...

Kage

Offline Charon

• Where's my coin mortal?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 04:07:48 AM »
Kage2020 thanks for the feedback. :D

Perhaps you have forgotten the root cause, which is the 'corruption' of the World Spirit?  Surely there are less, well, martial means of removing the spirits.  Given the 'fluff' on the direct and full physical manifestation of warp entities, one would imagine that it is their last recourse such that physical intervention might not be entirely effective.
::) I did forget to add the climactic 'final' battle between the most powerfull Eldar and the entities in the World Spirit, unfortunately I'm not sure how the battle finishes yet.
There is a need for a physical battle first to save the Exodite Seers and the remaining Exodite population and weaken the warp entities inside the World Spirit.

Do you or anyone else think spirits inside a World Spirit or Infinity Circuit could resist or even fight warp entities?
Because I was thinking along the lines of the King and most prominent nobles sacrificing their lives in the final 'material' battle to enter the World Spirit enhanced by the most powerfull Exodite Seers who linked their minds to assist and in the process destroying themselves.

The craftworld eldar are, arguably, just as "anti-decadent".  Furthermore, there are some that argue the Exodites are not 'low tech' but rather select to maintain technology as a less significant part of their society.  (Think Star Trek Insurrection as a rather obvious example...)
Point taken, I wasn't sure how to word this. I think I'll describe it a s pre-Fall culure then.

It sounds that you just want an Outcast colony.  There is no reason that you cannot have this without reference to the Exodites.
As I mentioned at the start of the post Exodites inspired me to start thinking of getting into Eldar.
And I was looking for a way to field a 'Vanilla' (I hate that term) Eldar army to represent Exodites. Due to the fluff it has changed slightly to include more Eldar from the path of the Outcast, but I don't intend to field a Ranger heavy army.
"I would rather excel others in the knowledge of what is
excellent than in the extent of my powers and dominion"
                  - Alexander the Great -

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 05:08:30 PM »
Kage2020 thanks for the feedback. :D
How could I not when you boosted ye 'ole ego! ;)

Do you or anyone else think spirits inside a World Spirit or Infinity Circuit could resist or even fight warp entities?
Quite simply, yes.  The consciousness of the World Spirit and Infinity Circuit, both, form a 'gestalt consciousness' for me.  Many voices joining into one and becoming something else while they also lose a sense of what it is to be them.  Furthermore, you've also got the action of the Eternal Matrix.  Corruption of the WS/IC/EM is something that I would say as potentially happening earlier on, but decreasing in probability rapidly as one moves away from the period of the Fall.

Because I was thinking along the lines of the King and most prominent nobles sacrificing their lives in the final 'material' battle to enter the World Spirit enhanced by the most powerfull Exodite Seers who linked their minds to assist and in the process destroying themselves.
There is no reason that a 'strong soul' could not tip the balance, even in an early period.  That is the 'heroic' nature of the 40k 'fluff'.

Kage