News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Speed translating to combat ability  (Read 759 times)

Offline ChainAxe Enthusiast

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Too many to list.
Speed translating to combat ability
« on: January 18, 2021, 07:23:38 PM »
I don't mind not having initiative anymore but I feel for armies that are fast like eldar (though not exclusive to them) our speed is only ever accounted for in our movement and not in our CC ability.  Any thoughts for fixing this.  I for one would like to see a roll for who goes first in a round of combat (every round).  I think we should get rid of whoever charged fights first, which is a ridiculous rule, in reality if you charge a unit they have enough time to realise they are being charged and will react and can easily counter attack a charge.  I'd like to see a roll off, each player rolling a D6 and units will have an extra +speed on their profile from 1-10, so you roll to see who has the highest roll and the highest goes first but if the unit has a larger speed profile  it will have either a +1 or +2 (if its double the speed) on their profile which will add to the result you rolled.  This is a very simple rule dynamic, its no where near is complicated as initiative was and because its so simple its a quick roll off that isn't going to add a lot of time towards the length of the game.  What are peoples thoughts on that?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Speed translating to combat ability
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:55:40 PM »
Fight first is the new rule that handles speedy units in CC.

A roll off isn't bad, I would simplify it a little, just have a keyword fast() and the value in the brackets is the units bonus to the roll. Any unit that isn't fast, doesn't get the keyword, so they don't get any bonus.

Offline ChainAxe Enthusiast

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Too many to list.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:31:19 PM »
That would work.

Fight first (from charging) though is a joke though, units like Howling Banshees etc. could still have fights first as a special rule, but for every other unit fighting first just because you charged is daft, its not realistic unless you are a unit like howling banshees etc. Fighting first because you charge is basically the equivalent of saying 'anyone that fights offensively automatically gets an advantage against someone fighting defensively' which in reality is absaloutely ridiculous. You could imagine back in the middle ages, the first army to start running towards the other army gets an advantage because they started running first. that's not how fighting in CC or fighting in general works.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:39:43 PM by ChainAxe Enthusiast »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 06:44:43 AM »
I'd like to see charge rolls changed from instead of 2D6 dstance, to Movement + D6 distance. I think that'd be a nice way to reflect faster units being able to get into combat easier.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 06:20:11 PM »
Fight first (from charging) though is a joke though, units like Howling Banshees etc. could still have fights first as a special rule, but for every other unit fighting first just because you charged is daft, its not realistic unless you are a unit like howling banshees etc. Fighting first because you charge is basically the equivalent of saying 'anyone that fights offensively automatically gets an advantage against someone fighting defensively' which in reality is absaloutely ridiculous. You could imagine back in the middle ages, the first army to start running towards the other army gets an advantage because they started running first. that's not how fighting in CC or fighting in general works.

I'm going to disagree with you on that one. 

Fighting first isn't in the rules because it "makes sense from a realism perspective," but because it gives an edge to combat units.  Units that are already at a huge disadvantage in this game as it is.  The effectiveness of combat units were often blunted in previous editions when they charged a higher initiative enemy. 

If you want to look at it from a realistic point of view, it still makes sense as it conveys an advantage to a unit that charges.  Movement gives you the initiative in that you control where the fight is going to happen.  Because you are likely moving at a faster pace than your opponent, you are better able to time your strike to hit with full effect as opposed to calculating when to hit based on the unpredictable actions of someone else.  If there were no advantage to charging, it would never have been done in the history of warfare.  If you want a real world example, look at the 20th Maine's charge down Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg.

If the charge advantage of fighting first is removed, it should be replaced with something to properly convey the impact of charging like +1 St & AP
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...