News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathwatch Fluff Question  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Deathwatch Fluff Question
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »
So, in the new codex it points out that Guilliman "gives" the Deathwatch a legion of Primaris Marines. That seems to imply that they are not affiliated with any chapter--they are Deathwatch and always have been.

Is that accurate? Or is Guilliman merely levying specific Primaris Marines from various chapters?

If he *is* just giving them wholesale to the watch, how are they trained? What does their right pauldron look like? How's this all work? 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Deathwatch Fluff Question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »
So, in the new codex it points out that Guilliman "gives" the Deathwatch a legion of Primaris Marines. That seems to imply that they are not affiliated with any chapter--they are Deathwatch and always have been.

Is that accurate? Or is Guilliman merely levying specific Primaris Marines from various chapters?

If he *is* just giving them wholesale to the watch, how are they trained? What does their right pauldron look like? How's this all work?

There is a lot of information on how the Primaris marines were divvied up in the Dark Imperium book. Basically, a crazy large stockpile of Primaris Marines were built up by Cawl on mars from all the origional legions Gene Seed.

When Guilliman finished defending the Imperial Palace from an invasion of Khorne Daemons, he embarked on the Indomitous Crusade and brought all the Primaris Marines with him. This is a pre-horus heresy legion amount of marines, so many many thousand.

Durring the crusade, the Primaris Marines fought in squads of mixed legion heritage, but with no chapter iconography on their armour. This was a way for them to get used to their new equipment and such. As the crusade went along, Guilliman would give legions Primaris Marines of their gene seed stock, to replenish numbers, or create whole new legions to defend certain areas. So, he'd create a small chapter here, give out 30 marines there, give that chapter 40 marines etc, as they went along their way.

Makes total sense to me that the crusade went past a Deathwatch stronghold and Guilliman just was like "Okay, these 100 marines are now yours", dropped them off, and kept going.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
Okay--I got that part.

But what goes on their right pauldron, then? Is it blank? Just the aquila? Guilliman's silhouette? A question mark?

How about "404 Chapter Not Found" - Rummy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:28:55 AM by The GrimSqueaker »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:50 PM »
I could imagine that they could put the symbol of the chapter their gene seed is from. A marine from the imperial fists legion, would still think of himself as an imperial fists, or, maybe it's a training session for them and they'll go to another chapter afterwards, and get that chapters badge to start. I don't think marines stay Deathwatch forever, unless they are a black shield.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
I suppose they could be Blackshields, yeah. Not sure *why* though, aren't Blackshields supposed to be disgraced in some manner?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2018, 06:26:31 AM »
I suppose they could be Blackshields, yeah. Not sure *why* though, aren't Blackshields supposed to be disgraced in some manner?

Right. Blackshields are those who have *renounced* their former chapter or have been disgraced. Primaris Marines aren't doing either thing.

I've kept them blank at the moment. Can't think of what else to do.