News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Saim-Hann, Space Wolves and Nids  (Read 10535 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Saim-Hann, Space Wolves and Nids
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 05:36:21 AM »
Thank you so much for that, Mate!
Didn't really look forward to sanding all the wooden ones that came with the models. This will save a truckload of time. You are the man, Magenb... Be well!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »
Looking awesome! That'll make a hell of a board when all painted up!
I do really like the Eldar stuff that those guys do, I've got a couple of bits but not had chance to paint them up yet!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:49 AM »
Loving the Tyranids Saim-Hann. The mottling effect on the carapace is very well executed. I'd love to see some shots of these guys from a lower angle though! The top down look is great for the detail of the carapace, but I just love seeing what a terrified guardsman would see!

I've looked at those Eldar terrain sets numerous times, but I may have to go for some soon. They look great and I'm sure when you get them painted they'll be a superb centrepiece for your board.

Terrific work as always buddy, keep it up!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 01:18:41 AM »

G'day, Aurics Pride!
Thank you, mate. Very kind of you to say, and get into those Eldar terrains. Your painting style would make them look Micky Mouse... Be well!

Hey, Looshkin!
Thanks for your kind words, mate. Only took the Swooping Hawk view shot because only the head and back carapace were done. Took some head-on shots for this post, however, they turned out shocking.

Finished the Trygon, Swarmlord and 20 Genestealers.

Still, haven't decided how I'm going to paint the claws/swords and talons as yet, but they're tabletop ready. Some of the Genestealers are the old school 2nd ed models. Will replace them with some newbies some time down the track.

Thanks again for popping in, forumites... Be well!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:40:27 AM by Saim-dann »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:01 AM »
Oh man this is looking GLORIOUS! Those carapaces are just amazing Dann. What a collection of units too... I'm super envious... I wished we lived local to each other because I'd be DYING to play against this army. Avatar of Khaine vs. Swarmlord... FIGHT! Hell yeah.

Just excellent stuff Dann. I really like your painting style, very unique... its painterly but super clean which you dont often see but its very striking and very well executed. I dont think I could see it as much on your Wolves because they are so grimm dark... but I can see the similarities in painting style now that I've seen your Nids. Very cool, very interesting.

Anyway fantastic stuff my friend I'm loving these Tyranid updates. Keep them coming. Cheers Pointy Ears!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
now where did that can of RAID go.... :)

Looking good mate keep it up.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #46 on: February 4, 2018, 08:47:05 PM »
G'day, forumites!
Have 1000pts tabletop ready and a Carnifex to start the road to 1500pts.

One day I'll have the time to improve my photography to do these pieces justice, but for now, you get a general idea... Be well!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #47 on: February 5, 2018, 10:10:49 AM »
I like the group shot and it is a real shame the detail has been lost.

I didn't notice the first time around but I am impressed by how your painting has really made the carapace look like it has been carved/grown from bone.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #48 on: February 5, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
G'day, Alienscar!
Thanks, mate. Truly appreciate it. They're only tabletop ready. Still don't know what colour/technique I want to do the claws, swords, and talons yet.

The Carnifex and beefing up the Genestealers and Termagants too their max numbers will bring them to 1500pts. Then will work on the Eldar.

Thanks again for stopping by, Alienscar... Be well!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #49 on: February 5, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
They're only tabletop ready. Still don't know what colour/technique I want to do the claws, swords, and talons yet.

Have you got a shortlist of ideas for the claws, swords and talons or are you after suggestions? I am positive that you will come up with something great on your next scotch night.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #50 on: February 5, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »
Bwahaha!!
Have something in mind, mate. Will have to test it on some Hormagaunts. Any suggestions are welcome, though.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 12:04:46 PM by Saim-dann »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #51 on: February 5, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
Absolutley crushing it! You are flying through this army bud... Damn am I jealous too! Arghh! The more I see it, the more I realize Tyranids are truly my favorite bad guy army.... and they are in red too... so that probably has something to do with it.

The balance of red to bone is spot on. And paint job on the bone part of the carapace is again so well executed. I really love your style man, its very striking.

What weapons load-out is that on the Carnifex? They've been absolutley awesome in Scorpion82's bat-reps so I'm fascinated to know what route you are going with them...

Any ideas on a Hive Fleet?

Anyway great stuff man, so glad Bugs are so good again. Love all the units you've chosen too... keep it up bud you are rocking!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #52 on: February 5, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
G'day Cavalier!
Thanks for the encouragement, mate. Am pleased with the progress, myself. The Carnifex is wielding a heavy venom cannon with massive crushing claws.

Hive Fleet Kraken. Had a game last Thursday night at the LGS and wiped the IG guy out to one conscript. The combination of the hive fleet adaptations and the Swarmlord's high commander in conjunction with Genestealers is a hoot. 45 shots from 15 Termagant appearing from a tunnel added to their 1st round pain.

Going mostly combat units is a risk and will soon have to change once word gets around. However, with Genestealers, Termagants, and the Trygon Prime racking up wounds on the very 1st turn it's worked out.

Thanks again for the feedback, Cavalier... pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #53 on: February 5, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Have something in mind, mate. Will have to test it on some Hormagaunts. Any suggestions are welcome, though.

I am no painting expert like Looshkin and Cavalier so I am sure anything I came up with would only spoil the look of your models. I was thinking to counterpoint the striking bone look you have achieved I would like to see the swords or talons painted so that they looked like they were made from a horn like material. No idea what colour would work best though.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #54 on: February 5, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
Hey, Alienscar!
Am with you on that point. Have been pondering a black to grey look to them. fading out to a very light grey, highlighted with white, to give that sharp look. Not a smooth fade either. A scratchy effect like your bone suggestion.

... and don't knock your painting, mate. I wouldn't let anyone else talk about your style like that and get away with it, so you're included. Your work is Micky Mouse. Good suggestion, Alienscar... Cheers, pointy ears!!   

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #55 on: February 5, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
I think those Tyranids are looking great at the moment Saim-Hann. As I said previously, I think that the Bone is done so, so well. It really is a brilliant effect that you have achieved. As for the flesh...I would personally add a little more depth to the recessed areas...a bit of Agrax or Nuln would just deepen the shadows and make the flesh pop a little more; but all that is personal taste. I definitely looks good as is.

I am no painting expert like Looshkin and Cavalier

Fixed the quote for you!

However, I do have some advise.

Have been pondering a black to grey look to them. fading out to a very light grey, highlighted with white, to give that sharp look. Not a smooth fade either. A scratchy effect like your bone suggestion.

I think that would look amazing. Before even reading your reply, I was thinking 'Black to grey talons would look awesome and really finish the look'. I kid you not.

I used this type of effect (although a bit smoother and a little less contrast than what you are going for) on my High Elf Prince mounted on a griffon:

In this case, I think that it was Abbadon Black followed by Dark Reaper, The Fang, Russ Grey and finally a little edge of Fenrisian Grey. I think it could totally handle a fine edge highlight on top of that though. Using the Blue/Greys of the Space Wolf range gives a far more natural palette than going down the White/Greys such as Administratum Grey - the whiteness is a bit too stark and battleshippy for Tyranids imho.

Whatever you go for, I'm sure it'll look terrific S-H. Good luck with whatever you choose!
« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 05:17:06 PM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #56 on: February 6, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
Have been pondering a black to grey look to them. fading out to a very light grey, highlighted with white, to give that sharp look. Not a smooth fade either. A scratchy effect like your bone suggestion.

I was thinking of something similar to the effect shown in THIS video by Duncan @ 08:00 - 09:00. I actually think the colours he has used could work with the pointy bits of your Nids as well.

... and don't knock your painting, mate. I wouldn't let anyone else talk about your style like that and get away with it, so you're included. Your work is Micky Mouse. Good suggestion, Alienscar... Cheers, pointy ears!!   

Based on that comment I guess every night must be scotch night in your house.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 01:18:47 PM by Alienscar »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #57 on: February 6, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
I see what you mean, Alienscar. Will experiment with it. Thank you so much for the effort, mate. Every night scotch night? Bwahaha!! As much of a hoot that would be, no. Try for weekly, more often than not fortnightly.

Will give some different ideas a go with some Hormaguants and see what you think... Cheers, pointy ears!!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2018, 01:26:34 AM »
G'day, Forumites!
Ok, why the name change? A mate of mine found this baby King Brown in his loo. These beauties grow to about 3 meters long.

Being a Saim-Hann player, he blamed me. Jinksing his loo by having serpents scattered all over the pointy ears. He also informed me that Saim-Hann was the name of the snake/Satan in the garden of Eden.

Ben being a reliable bloke, I took him at his word and being a Christian,(except on scotch night), I removed all the decals from the skimmers and changed my code name to Casual. Was about to apply Void Dragon symbols on the skimmers when a fellow church goer told me that Ben got it wrong.

Sam-Hain was a mythical Halloween character... Doh! So now we're back to Saim-Hann. This 1500pts worth is only base coated. Want to give them a test drive at the LGS next week before I finish them.

Have a bucket load of the original Jetbikes with the riders converted to the new Guardians.

Then the new reaver bikes came out and I wanted my pointy ears to have the same kind of thing so I bought a box set of 3 reavers and a box set of 3 Windriders. $150 later and this was the end result.

2 months later GW came up with these... Doh!!

So this post tells you I'm not the sharpest gamer around. Can go back to Saim-Dann so I'll put it to the vote. Do I go back to Saim-Dann or stay with Casual?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:51:49 AM by Casual »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 06:36:25 AM »
That snake in the toilet is hilarious... but dang, what an odyssey! I of course vote for Saim-Dann. Its funny and it tells everyone your favorite CW and faction.

My only question is.... how are you gonna paint these guys? Are you gonna go with a black variant or are you gonna lay some red down?

I noticed you layed down all the transfers which would seem to indicate you aren't gonna airbrush them red... but surely you aren't gonna brush paint these bad boys? I highly recommend against that... It'd be a much shorter road to simply remove those transfers and airbrush them than it would be to brush paint them.

If you are looking to avoid the airbrush definitley just go up a shade and use GW Mephiston Red spray and save yourself the hassel.

I think I'm going to commission painter anxiety mode! lol.. but I am fascinated to know how you are gonna approach these guys....

Its an AWESOME collection of models, all out Saim-Hann so it should be a blast to play. Looking forward to hearing your approach on painting them bud. And finally... BRING BACK SAIM DANN!!!  ;D