News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What forgeworld armor MK's are appropriate for Alpha Legion?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline kim

What forgeworld armor MK's are appropriate for Alpha Legion?
« on: September 14, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »
I have been thinking of trying to paint a few Alpha Legion miniatures, for 40k, but wonder if I want more uncorrupted look, and mixing in older marks, MK2-5, mixed some with ordinary CSM armor. Alternatively have some full old style, some full CSM armor. What is most appropriate for them? And what is lore appropriate of the Demons and chaos warped, tainted and possessed vehicles and CSM troops at the moment? It used to be, they were only using demons if cultists summoned them, do that still hold, in the fluff?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: What forgeworld armor MK's are appropriate for Alpha Legion?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »
I would say that Mk.2 armour at the time of the heresy would be almost unheard of, and Mk.3 armour would have been rare.  Mk.4 would be where the majority of the legionnaires would be at.  If I recall correctly, though, Mk.5 was the mark of armour that the loyalists started pumping out to resupply the legions during the heresy.

So if you are trying to outfit your guys and have them be period accurate in specific marks, I would say that you'd be looking at Mk.3/4.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:44 PM »
Yeah, the Alpha legion being pretty young was probably the most well equipped legion with 'modern' equipment right before the Heresy. The Alpha legion was composed mostly of mk4 power armour, with some mk5-6 as well. Although, it'd not be unheard of to have older patterns of armour on more veteran units.

For Daemons, you can use pretty much whatever. Alpha legion are opportunists and will work with anyone (according to their plans).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline kim

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
Thanks. What is possible to make them period accurate for the current era? 40k, if one looks at the ranges of Forgeworld and GW? Basic CSM with chests taken from the Forgeworld range, and some Mark 4 - 6 parts mixed in?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »
Thanks. What is possible to make them period accurate for the current era? 40k, if one looks at the ranges of Forgeworld and GW? Basic CSM with chests taken from the Forgeworld range, and some Mark 4 - 6 parts mixed in?

If they are folks kicking around in current times, then they'll have a hodge podge of armour variants, as they either kept their stuff from the heresy, or have scavenged replacements since.

You can pretty much use anything and it'd be fine fluff-wise. Chaos legions don't really make their own armour anymore, so have to use whatever they can find.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria