News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63290 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 07:41:05 AM »
Thankyou Looshkin! That is high praise indeed :)

Thanks a lot too Cavalier :) yeah very pleased how he compares size-wise to my Tree Revenant Grotesques :) this photo is a bit of a sub-par one, even by my standards! Too much overhead lighting. Really must get a proper soft-light setup somehow (although I fear that will expose my painting for what it really is!)

Post Merge: December 29, 2016, 08:14:35 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Didn't take me long to have another stab at a Wyrdlord and I'm much happier :) definitely weirder ;)

Love the new Sylvaneth range :) loads of great twisted bits to use :)

Oh, and a couple of little fluff background pieces on these guys:

Cult of Lileath and Morai-Heg
The cult of the maiden and the cult of the crone are two halves of the same equation. Like Farseers their acolytes scry the future, attempting to twist the skeins of fate to avert potential catastrophes befalling their worlds. Each acolyte is part of a matched pair: one a maiden, the other a crone. The younger is the dreamer, who in drug-addled dreams receives visions of potential futures. The older is the hag, who uses their wisdom to interpret these visions.

In times of war, their War Wyrd guardians join the warhosts of the exodites, throwing the formidable psychic might of the eldar at their foes.

War Wyrds
The War Wyrds of the Cult of Morai-Heg double as both the Warlocks and Bonesingers of the exodites. Being masters of melding living tissue with wraithbone, they directly fuse their ghosthelms to their head, providing permanent protection from the winds of the warp.

The eldest of these warrior-psykers are the Wyrdlords, formidable psykers and fearsome warriors whose transformation into wraithbone-skinned ???* is near-complete.

*Help! I need a word here but I can't think of it :S something like 'daemon' or 'fiend' but without the chaos connection, or like 'savage' or 'monster' but without the connotation of being mindless.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:14:35 PM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 07:38:30 AM »
Oh wow... another great model. Ibushi has made fantastic use of these dudes as well. Wow what a pose! Love the use of the Harlie spear too! Fantastic stuff....

Also about lighting I use the natural lighting from my window and a normal overhead... I'll take a photo of the rooms I use soon to illustrate. You just need something coming in laterally if you take my meaning.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 08:38:39 AM »
Thanks again dude :) yeah I like the Harlie and Dark Eldar stuff a lot. Being on the whole newer than the Craftworld range they've really got a degree of delicacy that I guess wasn't really possible with older casting techniques.

Can't wait for an updated Guardian or Dire Avenger (or...gasp...plastic Aspect Warrior) kits in this style :)

I love Ibushi's warped Dryad Warp Spiders. Very twisted looking things :)

I've definitely found natural light helps a lot, although it's in short supply at this time of year! I'll try setting up some lamps a bit lower down and see if that does a decent approximation :)

Post Merge: December 30, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Well, these two were an absolute joy to paint. Not often I say that, given my usual attitude towards painting, but I'm really chuffed with how these turned out :)

I even had a go at blending again on the Wyrdlord's warpflames. I have utmost respect for people who put the effort in to do that on more of their models. I'm happy with the result, but it took me ages!

Also, I love the idea of the Wyrdlord having this gnarled and twisted body, and a terrifying inhuman head...but humanoid hands. Something really creepy about that if you picture it in your head :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:59:09 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #23 on: January 1, 2017, 07:46:09 AM »
Excellent stuff! Love the mix of low and high contrast colors. Very neat interaction between the color choices. Everything has a sort of ghostly, somewhat morbid look where the colors blend but then there will be a bright splash of color. I love it! Cheers man!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #24 on: January 1, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Cav here. You've used a great, natural colour palette that really suits the models. Terrific work!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: January 1, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »
Thanks guys! I am really proud of how they've turned out, although i'm fairly certain i've just stumbled upon a couple of colours that work and stuck with it! Must be brave and try out something else at some point. Started painting my archon and even he's a variation on the brown and red theme! :S

Saying that, i'm perfectly happy with that being the case :) through the archon i've discovered Warplock Bronze which is quite simply a stunning colour. If i could paint my car with it i would!

Might take a while though...even with a Tank Brush ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Well, I started out painting my Archon but soon discovered that my age old pot of Scorched Brown was rock solid! New pot of Rhinox Hide on the way (I think that's a dark brown? All these newfangled colours...), but I needed something to paint.

So, my Craftworlders got a bit of attention. I did a bit of touch-up to my first Autarch (one of my oldest conversions, and still one of my favourite), giving him gold shoulder pads. Not sure I prefer it TBH, but it'll work better with my planned Dire Avengers in craftworld colours.

Oh, and I also did a bit more experimenting with different lighting setups and backgrounds. Not certain what works best...

I also painted up my Axe/Banshee Mask/Fusion Gun Autarch. Need to do some more work around the Banshee Mask really so this pic neatly avoids showing that ;) also swapped the head on my Uldanorethi Longrifle Farseer (another old favourite) for the one from the Farseer Jetbike kit and it looks much better :) I love plastic HQs!

This would probably be a good place to shoe-horn in the fluff for my Craftworld :)

Craftworld Angvellaith (contraction of Angau Vehk Agaith, meaning 'Doom of the Split-Faced Ones', referring the mythical victory over one of the ancient enemies of the eldar).

The early days of craftworld Angvellaith were unremarkable. Leaving sometime during the middle of great exodus from the eldar homeworlds, it set off into the void alongside dozens and dozens of other craftworlds. For centuries, while others fell, the keen foresight of its seers and the might of its warhosts protected its citizens from the very worst the galaxy could offer. However, all skiens of fate appeared to converge in tragedy for the Angvai. Despite all their efforts, the rotting plague-ships of the Death Guard descended upon their home. Through valient effort and harrowing sacrifice, they repelled the foetid tide. However, like Iyanden their population was decimated. Listless and broken, they drifted through the void awaiting their death. However, all was not lost. Through the webway, a cry for help echoed out from the exodites of Selestini, who likewise were under assault from the followers of the Plaguefather. Throwing what was left of their warhosts into the fray, they managed to turn the tide against the children of Nurgle. This marked a turning point in the attitude of the Angvai. No longer were they content to fade away into obscurity.

In a great council, their eldest and wisest seers developed a radical plan. Through the susserus of their innumerable dead within the infinity matrix, the unborn god Ynnead had made his presence known, and the eldar of Angvellaith welcomed him. They struck a dark pact with their Commorite cousins, exchanging safe harbour in realspace and the industrial resources of their craftworld for access to the cloning vats of the Haemonculi. Through arcane and eldritch technomancy, they rebuilt their shattered warhosts.

Their Guardian forces are comprised entirely of cloned conscripts, who follow the unique Path of the Warborn. These forces are thrown against their enemies with no heed to their survival. If a Warborn survives their tour of duty, they are gifted a name and inducted into Craftworld society as a true citizen. If they fall in battle, add one more soul to the chorus.

I also tried the new lighting setup with the Khaine's Ravens which worked well I thought!

New and improved face on Baroness (now called Yzirienn), using Cavalier's method for painting eyes :) much better!

Also tried to add a little pizazz to the black armour on my Corsairs. It was painted flat black (before I read that it's best to lighten your blacks slightly so you can shade them properly), so I ran a little Administratum Grey on the upward facing edges and hit it with a coat of gloss and I like it much better!

Here's where the mucking about with lighting comes in. I tried two different places to take photos and I'm torn between which is better. The one above, or this one:

I think I like the lighting of the former, but the background colour and woodwormy floor of the latter.

Back-to-back comparisons:

Which do you think is best?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
I agree with you Ynneadwraith the lighting in the photo with the dark background does look good but the woodwormy photo looks marginally better. All your photo's seem to suffer from a lack of contrast and when enlarged they don't appear to be well focused. Are you using daylight to light your pictures? If you are then this is probably part of the problem as something in your lighting set up is causing shadows which is obliterating some of the detail.

Have you seen The Model Photo How To on Warhamer Community?

Cavalier takes brilliant photo's so hopefuly he will pop by and offer you some advice.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »
Thanks for the link dude :) that should be very helpful.

I think part of the problem (definitely with the woodwormy photos) is lack of light (or lack of diffused light at least). Because it's always dark at the moment when I get home, very few of them are done in natural sunlight of any sort so they're probably not quite bright enough to pick out the differences in the colour. Perhaps a second (better) lamp low down on the woodwormy photos would bring out the colour a little more. Shall do some testing!

As for focus I expect that'll be my potato-phone camera. I've got a little point-and-shoot which is much better, but it's a little worse for wear. Was hoping for one for Christmas but alas it was not to be...

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #29 on: January 5, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
40K Online has its own topic for taking high quality pictures too.  It may be of some help.

I really like the colours on those Eldar.  A very regal colour scheme in my opinion, which is very well suited to the arrogance that characterises some elements of Eldar background.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #30 on: January 5, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
Thanks man that's helpful too!

I wonder if some of the focus issues is compression-related. How's this one?

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/qtuplct4zc1jlgj4q2cp.jpg

If that's just as bad I'll just have to shell out for a better camera (although I'll probably have to work on my painting skills accordingly!).

Thanks on the compliments on the scheme :) I wasn't sold on the black part of it when I started but it's definitely grown on me :) personally I see Corsair Princes as the most arrogant of the lot so that fits nicely!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #31 on: January 5, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
Everything is look great Ynneadhwraith! :) Love all the Corsair units and the Scourge unit looks great. The head swaps really work and make them feel unique. Love that my techniques for eyes helped you. Always so stoked when I can help a fellow hobbyist.

About taking the photos I liked the photos on the wooden surface best. I've actually found just a single window with natural light to be sufficient for my photos most of the time. All I use is my iphone so its nothing fancy (well an iphone is pretty fancy but you get my drift). A trick I found is to try using the focus on different colors and it tends to adjust the exposure making it either darker of brighter. For example when I photo my Dark Angels if I focus on the black of their armor the exposure goes through roof and its super washed out and bright. If I focus on the white of my background or a neutral color like brown or grey on my terrain the exposure tends to be just right...

But check out the links provided and I'm sure they'll help.

Anyway bud, keep all the great work its been a treat following you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: January 5, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
That one is slightly better so you are probably right and that instead of being a focus issue it is more to do with resolution.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: January 5, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
I have a pretty high-end Canon Eos as well as some stupenny shuffley lenses. I use my iPhone for all the photos that I put on here though, as a good miniatures picture is largely down to the lighting that you have available. Follow the advice in the articles that have been linked and you can't go far wrong.

If you don't mind spending a little money, I bought myself a little fold away light box with internal lighting. Only cost about £17 including p+p and I think that it has improved the quality of my miniature photos. It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing, it just has to improve the light and ideally give you a situation in which there are no dark shadows to ruin the shot.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #34 on: January 5, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
Thanks guys! All really helpful pieces of advice :) I thought the woodworm photos give the closest approximation of their colours in real life. The ones on the black background look much more yellow than they actually do. The best colours can from the balck background while shining a blue LED head-torch at a sheet of paper off to one side, but that's far too much faff for me!

I had no idea light boxes were that cheap Loosh! I'll definitely look at getting one :) would definitely have to pick up my painting game though ;)

Speaking of dark shadows ruining shots...

...had a package arrive today which had the little gribblies in that let me finish this!

Thaegr, Huntfather, Flutterkin, Son of Kurnous. Prince of the Selestini of the Godwoods

He's my new counts-as Autarch, with a Power Axe, Fusion Gun (the lance on his back) and a Banshee Mask (the little gribblies swarming around his feet). The fluff for them is similar to my Hounds of Kurnous, where they surround themselves with swarms of psycho-active wraithbone-shelled insects that attack/distract their foes before the Son of Kurnous enters the fray :) as soon as I saw the Flutterfury swarms from the Drycha kit I knew I had to use them for that :)

Speaking of Drycha...

I've now got a counts-as Cronos! Once that's painted I'll have a Dark Artisan!

The most monstrous creations of the Boneshapers, great twisted wraithbone colossi, the Sylphlords are often mistaken for knight-suits by their ill-fated foes. They are, in fact, enormous constructs grown around the tattered body of a mortally wounded exodite.

Their new bodies play host to swarms of psychoactive wraithbone insects, which billow forth on chitinous wings to devour enemy soldiers and form a protective screen around exodite warriors.

Thought the little swarm of bugs would do quite well explaining the Cronos' Spirit Syphon flamer attack and FnP bubble :)

Two newbies together for scale...

...and the beginnings of the Dark Artisan :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #35 on: January 6, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »
Oh damn! That Autarch model is sick! Wow... absolutley love it. Where did you get the bits? That had head/hair is great. Also you gotta give us shot of his back... I want to see that awesome looking fusion gun/spear! It looks great.

Also the big tree man guy looks awesome too. Thats a monstrous sized Dark Artisan formation! It looks great.

Anyway great stuff man you are rolling!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #36 on: January 6, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Thanks man! Yeah I really like how the Autarch turned out :) I wanted to do something evoking one of my favourite models ever, this kickass Wood Elf Lord:

Think I've done ok at that!

The head (and axe) is from the Sylvaneth Tree Revenant kit. It's got the typical fantasy neck-stub-on-the-body, rather than attached to the head, so I brutalised another Scourge head to get a suitable neck :)

The antlers are actually from a Wood Elf Wild Rider stag, clipped off and glued on :) I've got a pic of his back...but it's on my laptop at home :S I'll post it up as soon as I get back :)

Big fan of how the Dark Artisan's turned out :) as far as I can tell, the purpose of the Dark Artisan is to cause your opponent to cr*p his pants when you webway portal directly next to them. Thought that would work quite well with a sodding great dinosaur and a spiky Sylvaneth gribbly ;)

Post Merge: January  6, 2017, 12:49:07 PM

Only pic of the rear I've got :) the melta lance is a cut-down Hellion Hellglaive with the tip of a Heat Lance glued on :)

« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 12:49:07 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: January 6, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »
Awesome Autarch Ynnead. The pose is fantastic and the conversion really well done. Another model to be very proud of, well done!

I know it might be a touch labour intensive, but if you could maybe do a step by step guide for one of your amazing miniatures, I'm sure a lot of people would really appreciate seeing your process.

Great work, keep it up!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #38 on: January 6, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
Thanks a bunch dude! That's a great idea too :) wish I'd thought of that before I made this one as he was definitely my most converted dude so far. First time I've done re-positioning of legs!

Next Hunter/Kabalite I do I'll take step-by-step pics :) I'm planning on re-doing my winged Autarch as well so I'll do that too :)

I've got an update too! You can tell when I really like a model as they get painted pronto!

The Catachan platoon hacked its way through the undergrowth, monomolecular machetes carving effortlessly through bough and branch, silently progressing forwards in environs they found most familiar. Death world they called it. Hah! Had they never been to Catachan? Transport a Catachan Devil here and it would clean up the local wildlife in a week!

Even still, the platoon was on guard. One of the Cadian patrols had come this way and were never heard from again. The weapons expert hovered his finger over the hair-trigger on his heavy bolter, and troopers scanned the trees down the barrels of their lasguns. Suddenly, the sarge froze, raising his hand to halt the platoon, his finely honed death-world instincts telling him that something wasn't right.

Suddenly, swarms of chittering insects burst from the trees, engulfing them in a thick fog of tiny wings and bodies. Lasgun shots rang out, but the sarge bellowed that it was no point wasting charges on insects when a flamer would do a much better job. It was at that point that an intense burst of heat exploded the tanks on the back of the flamer. The lasgun fire began in earnest, troopers diligently double-tapping their triggers to eke out every shot possible. However, individually cut off and enveloped by the swarm there was no way to tell which direction they were firing. Muffled grunts rang out as errant shots found the wrong mark.

The methodical thudding of the heavy bolter cleared great swathes of the bugs, its rounds set to detonate after a set distance of travel. It was only when the wretched insects clogged the feed mechanism that the weapons expert saw what their true assailant was. The swarm parted just enough for him to see a great, horned eldar warrior bury its crackling power axe into his sarge's shoulder before the cloud of insects closed in again.

Thaegr sat on a bough, washing the blood from his axe in a babbling stream. Around him, a multitude of buzzing invertebrates were picking the last morsels of flesh from the skeletons of the Mon-Keigh interlopers. 'Death world' they call it. They don't know the meaning of the word.

Just realised there's a mold-line I forgot to clip off there!)

Also took the opportunity to take some more pics of the other exodite HQs I like the best :)

Syaeldren, Threadcutter, Strifeweaver, Daughter of Morai-Heg. Wyrdlord of the Selestini of the Godwoods

Thraoren, Bonebender, Forgebound, Son of Vaul. Boneshaper of the Selestini of the Godwoods

And all 3 together :)

Must admit, I'm having excellent fun with these HQ units :)
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 08:22:29 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #39 on: January 6, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
Looking fantastic! I love the dynamic poses you've chosen. And an awesome narrative as well. Keep up the good work.