News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Grizzly's Xenos, Mechs and Pointy ears !  (Read 30167 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: The grizzly's Eldar, Arvandor Craftworld,
« Reply #80 on: August 2, 2017, 06:57:25 AM »
You guy's are nuts, barely an hour after after my comeback you are already praising my return. You have great expectation of me and I shall not disapoint.

Here you go Cav Mercury Race on Vimeo That's my gradution project. Not my vimeo account though, one of a friend. I did the animation, the rigging and the modeling for a bunch of props.

Coming up next here should be either some painting if the weather cool down a bit or some battle report my firend and I all have holydays around now and next week so a lot of 8th game should be played soon. So wait for it ^^.

Grizzly OUT!

Ps: I have immortalised your praise in my signature
« Last Edit: August 2, 2017, 06:58:33 AM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #81 on: August 2, 2017, 07:04:34 AM »
DUDE! That is so SICK! Wow man so professional. I'm blown away by how awesome that is. Wow... seriously man. Super talented... phenomenal. Make sure you continue to share this stuff I love it.

Also my comment DESERVES to be immortalized. lol  8) 8) 8) Great stuff man keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #82 on: August 2, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
for a bunch of props.

Well here is some more props. That video is awesome.

Whilst I have no idea what rigging entails or the amount of time needed to model something like that but the end result looks brilliant.

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #83 on: August 2, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
@Cavalier: ... What a reaction!! You are way to hyped ! At first I thought you were mimiking my way of talking in your project blog and moking me ^^ And then I understood you were way to hyped. Glad you liked it.

@Alienscar: when I said à bunch it really is more a couple than a bunch, there was an other Guy in the group doing that more thzn me because I had other tings to do. I did the character though even if the end credit says otherwise. The modeling/sculting was on me, but for the color and texture, I did not do a single thing. First we had guy dedicated to that, and second I'm absolute garbage at it.
Rigging: is the act of creating a skeleton system (or a control hierarchy) to allow the animator to animate (that's my job btw, I'm an animator) and controling the deformation this system will apply to the actual object.

Hobby related info x I have two warp spyder paint scheme as WIP, I don't believe i posted any of them yet, so! This should be in my next update once I get some quality photo in. I will be awaiting some return about that. Because one of thèse scheme'I am not so happy about it yet. Expect that soon:)

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #84 on: August 2, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »
Man that video is really cool :) I remember doing the faintest bit of animation in school and finding it mind-bendingly difficult at the time so massive props :)

Also, going to betray my nature as a hopeless petrolhead here but great choice of engine noise ;) I'm going to hazard a guess that it's one of those screaming small-displacement F1 cars from the early 70s. 1.5l Matra V12 or something like that, given the country of origin...

Back in the room...

Looking forward to seeing some paint!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #85 on: August 3, 2017, 01:21:13 AM »
Welcome back! And I must say what an entrance. The video is way cool, probably more to me being a motor head myself. Bring more when you can.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #86 on: August 3, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
lol... no way would I mock you bro. I'm a monstrous animation enthusiast. Huge fan of late 70's and 80's anime like Captain Harlock, Queen Millennia, Space Adventure Cobra, the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Shinzo Ningen Casshan which I just finished. I've got several hundred dollars worth of old animation art books too. My army is even themed off of Char Aznable from Gundam and Rodimus Prime from Transformers and I was also a film major in college so the hype was REAL! Anyway killer work bud, so, so impressive. Cheers bud  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 3, 2017, 09:15:58 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #87 on: August 5, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
@Ynneadwraith Thank for the heads up^^ I love animation and my mind works really well with the mechanics of it so I can say I'm kind of gifted for it, BUT if you asked me to do some texturing and shading you found the wrong guy, I find this mind-bendingly difficult :P 3 years of 3D and I have yet to find the tric for it.

For the sound I regretfully can't answer you. The guy who did the sound was not from my school so I don't know what he used. Plus we had him make it more toward the bass because it was way higher pitched at the beginning. So I really can't tell. I'm a petrol head myself but my petrol head hearing is defficient so sorry I can't help.

@Dread Thanks Dread for the warm welcome it's been a while how have you been? (Last time I was there you had some health issue if I recall.) Glad to hear you enjoyed that animation. I will had some 3D project to this blog if they are cool, if you want :). Nothing really impressive to show for now So I'm gonna wait a bit.

@Cavalier Ahaha! Well you certainly wrote 'that' the same way I usually write, the over entusiast kind^^. Thanks for the hype again. The day I find a job in Canada, expect me at your door step with mini's and a thrist for old animation art book then (and I am bound to find a job in Canada at some point just a question of years, months may be, even if unlickly).

OK let's stop idling around, and let's get into the meaty stuff. New WIP! The one I promised and a new one I wanted to give a try because of some inspiration found on the internet. :D

Here we go:

Some explenation required:

The Spyder first, 2 style for two squads. One Dark with purple and Red à second more colorfull and bound to have some change. I'm not happy with them yet. I bought some paint yesterday to make the nessecary change. We are speaking about the Grey one here. First is I'm going to stop using null oil for the shadow, instead I will be using some Guilliman blue, the Idea I am going for this one's are a bit of etheral ghostly theme. Therefore once the shadow are done, I will be adding some edge highligting with some very, very light caledor sky mixed with White (1 to 3 or 1 to 4), and an over highligh with some more punchy blue horror. Do you have an idea for the details color? I don't like them like that. Gun will have the end black like the other spider, head will not stay purple I don't like it at all,and for the rest I don't know yet.
The other Spyder is heading where I want it so it's unlikely they will change much. Details and highlight work is what's next.

Onto the unexpected then, the Fire dragon. It's a very very very very early coat of paint done with poor lighting. BUT the Idea is getting there. The plan is the under part of the armor will be black and the armor plate will be yellow going towards orange. Don't mind the Pink/purple IT WILL NOT STAY. This dragon are second hand model, this is the color they had befor I began painting them. The end goal for my dragon is something like this:

Hopefully the link works, preview button does not react.

The only change I will do are red weapon to match my other aspect and the helmet orange, like the style I use for other aspect (reminder, painting rule for my army: aspect must have some troll slayer orange piece somewhere and the weapon in mephiston Red).

There we go. As I can't really do detailed paint because of poor lighting condition, let me say my next update sould be a vehicule, Serpent probably. I can slap paint on bigger surface easier even with less than ideal lighting. So expect that.

Hope you like the very small, but very meaningfull for me, work I had to show you today.

See you soon folks! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 5, 2017, 07:55:58 AM by Grizzlykin »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #88 on: August 5, 2017, 08:35:39 AM »
I'm loving the unique colour schemes, particularly the warp spider in the middle. It's going to look killer once you get some washes on there.

Looking forward to see how your project progresses.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #89 on: August 5, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
I found Guilliman blue does not work in the same way as nulon oil does, it works more like a paint if that makes any sense.  It doesn't really water down very well either. I did find regal/kantor blue watered down fairly well and could be used like an old ink/wash to get into fine detail, I used it for scaly skin type of things like corsair cloaks.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #90 on: August 5, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »
@Dog_of_War - Thanks for the kind words, hope it's gonna be as beastly as I hope it will and as you hope as well^^

@magend - Oh? Thanks for the Info, I will give a shot to gulliman blue to see if does what I expect it to do. If it does not work I sill see with your technique. Thanks.

Small update, here is the beginning of the painting my Fire prism hull. Gosh do I hate painting this orange, but god does I love it when it's done. If I may suggest you, do not ever choose "Troll slayer orange" as you main color. I think I'm gonna try to look around to see if I can find an equivalent in some other paint distributor range of paint, even if only as a first coat before doing a last one with troll slayer.

There we go. End of short update.

See you later.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #91 on: August 6, 2017, 03:46:33 AM »
Wow, thanks for remembering. Health is better now just cramping hands. The nice thing is the shakes seem to be gone. So a give and take.

I do love the color ideas your using. I think maybe Azureman blue wash might be what you're looking for. I use it and love how it works. The orange and maroon is so complimentary, can't wait to see the finished product.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
Aww man. Excellent, excellent stuff Grizz. The Falcon in particular looks brilliant. I also like the purple + orange Warp Spider. Thats a nice color combo. I look forward to the yellow Fire Dragons too. Averland Sunset is a brilliant paint. It soooo easy to work with. Y'riel Yellow and Flish Gitz go on super easy as highlights too, so it'll be a million times easier to work with than Troll Slayer.

Yes. Troll Slayer is the WORST to work with. Absolutley horrible. I do not know why its so thin... every other orange goes on so much easier... but its sooo nice looking. My first commission ever was a Revenant Titan and of course... it was in Troll Slayer. As a preview to my tutorial for you... try using Squig Orange as a base. You can even prime it Mephiston Red if you have the primer to make it even easier. Thats how I did the Yncarne.

If I'm not mistaken Montana Gold has an equivalent spray primer... and I'm sure Vallejo has an equivalent for brush painting.

Anyway super nice work my friend. I'll have that tutorial up for you soon.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #93 on: August 6, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
@Dread: Glad to ear that man, it was something I was wondering about while I was away. You were one of the member that welcomed me the warmest back when I first arrived, so seeing you not going well wasn't much to my liking. Really happy you are doing better.  8)
Thank for the paint suggestion I'm gonna as is for now ant if it's not working I might give a try to Azurmen blue yes ^^

I'm not sure what you mean by marron, probably because of the lighting, because it's orange and khorne red.

@Cavalier: Yeaaaah thank for the time investement on your end. Your commitement to the well being of my army shall be remembered! I will go right ahead and paint a very thin coat of mephiston Red on my Avatar right away!

Huuu wait... I Just read again your comment, do I paint the base for the Avatar squid orange? Or mephiston Red? I'm confused><  ??? :o

It's not a falcon it's a Fire prism don't you read ? :D Glad you like it non the less, will be adding some red and black if I got the time today or tomorrow ^^
Ahahaha you thought I had thought ahead with the dragon? You were wrong... I don't have any pot of averland sunset only a spray and it's to hot for that here... Sadly. I will buy a pot of averland next week then, I should drop by the store on tuesday, if you could tell me the paint I need for the Avatar as well, that would be wonderfull, like that I can get the one I don't have right now.

OK, So didn't have time to paint today or yesterday, so expect something once I have added some color to my tank ^^ And maybe some other stuff if I feel like it. I really have an ectic schedule when it comes to painting, I begin a lot of things but I don't finish much :P

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »
Awesome to see you posting again Grizzy, and it's great to see you cracking on with good early progress. The Fire Prism is looking eye-poppingly cool so far; it's such a striking colour scheme. I just can't believe (like Cav) that you're choosing to work with Troll Slayer Orange...it's up there with Stormhost Silver as my 'Come The Apocalypse' paints to use extensively in a scheme. Really brave, and I hope you pull it off.

Great to see you back and full of hobby. Great stuff!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:30:43 AM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2017, 08:13:21 AM »
Hey Grizz. So let me hook you up with that tutorial.

The Avatar of Khaine is super easy. Black Primer, Warplock Bronze Base, Balthazar Gold on all the raised areas (like the on raised parts of the musculature) and on all the blades. Edge highlighted with Sycorax Bronze (though you may be able to use Retributor). Boom! Done! The hair is simply Wild Rider Red with Carroburg Crimson Wash. Super easy!

The Yncarne is also simple but it does take a far bit of brush work. So Mephiston Red Primer on the Yncarne, Black Primer on the Flames. I assembled and primed the whole thing black and then just blasted a few puffs of Mephiston onto the body of the Yncarne. Then... I put a heavy Nuln Oil wash on the body of the Yncarne. Hit the raised parts of the musculuture, armor, face etc. with fresh Mephiston from the pot. Then on those same areas I highlighted them using Squig Orange (see the picture to get an idea of where I layed down the Squig Orange... I leave a sort of rim of the previous colors as I highlight by each step).  Then highlight again with Troll Slayer. Just a tip on this... I just do multiple quick layers. Troll Slayer seems to build better in multiple layers instead of big thick coats. Then Fire Dragon Bright. Then finally hit it with Bloodletter Glaze... and then hit the super fine details with Fire Dragon Bright again.

The flames are basically the same process, but really just with dry brushing. Where the flames are most prominent I got in there and did them very carefully, but you can be fast and loose during the flames to try and give it a natural vibe.

Anyway bud hope that helps. Its a lot easier than it sounds on the Yncarne trust me. As you paint it, you'll see the natural spots to pick out to highlight to the max. Remember only pick out the most prominent spots to highlight all the way (and make sure you show the transition of colors!) Alright bud if you have any questions let me know. Good luck!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2017, 04:58:41 PM »
Hello everyone, I had planned to bring you some hobbis style things first, but the next things to come will be a bat rep. Please be indulgent with me, as this bat-rep will sadly have to compete with Cav's bat-rep coming soon, and I would rather not get compared to much because it will hurt my pride ><. (not that there is much pieces of it left anyway).

Let me first answer a few things:

@the people that do not read: >:(
I. SAID. IT'S. A. FIRE PRISM. >:( The one in progress at least, IF  you were refering for the older tank, then sorry I done goof with understanding. With that out of the way for the update, it's still in progress but I don't have a picture at the moment. So once it's a bit more advanced, I will come again.

@Cavalier: Thanks for the tutorial ! I don't have a red primer so I will be painting the mephiston red straigh from the pot. I got a large brush for the first base coat that should work nicely. You will be seing some of this in the futur that's for sure.  8) 8)

@looshkin Glad you dig the army, thanks for droping by aswell. Let me had a small note. I did not choose Troll slayer, Troll Slayer chose me! How shoudl I say, I was looking for my color, found an orange army loved it searched for the color I wnated found troll slayer loved it, and since then I have been regretting that choice as the main color from a painter perspective not from a final prouct perspective ><. It's freaking hard to paint, but it trains you so mcuh that when you paint other colors it feels like it's magnificiently easy to do.  8) That said I love the orange at the end result. Why don't they have an orange as base paint so I can put it as a base then over paint with troll slayer. I will soon be giving it a shot with averland sunset I will tell you all if it works.

@everyone: Did I stole this presentation from Cav? Shhhhh don't say it ! The weather as gradually been cooling down these last few days, so I might be able to spray paint a large portion of my army. WICH WILL BE A GOOD BASE FOR THE TROLL SLAYER :P I was thinking about bringing you the bat-rep today, to tired for that now, going to bed then, I will post it tomorrow. So expect some 500 pts eldar versus ork bat-rep. That was one hell of a fun game for me and my friend, and I hope you will be able to enjoy it aswell once it's out.

Here have a small token of preview.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:08:04 PM by Grizzlykin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
Hey Grizz. That board looks super cool. But dear lord get some LOS blocking terrain on there! Its really important for 8th.  ;D ;D ;D

Also never hesitate to upload a bat-rep just because I am! The more activity in the Project Logs, the better!

Also good luck with the Troll Slayer my friend. Can't wait to read the bat-rep!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
I do wonder whether some GW paints, especially lighter ones, are designed to be that thin to sort of approximate a wet-palette without the wet-palette. Designed so that you can blend them into a stronger colour straight from the pot.

It's the same with Runelord Brass. Try and paint that straight over undercoat and it looks awful, but paint it over Leadbelcher/Warplock Bronze and it ble ds itself with minimal effort...
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
@Cavalier: Oh don't worry I don't ask myself if I post something when you do because, if I did, I would not have posted anything to begin with.

@Ynneadwraith: Yes it does feel that way with troll slayer. Since it's called a layer I'm not to surprised though, it's in the name. Well troll slayer work best so far with a load of thin coat of it. What ever the color under, haven't tried yet with red but with either iriel yellow or ratskin flesh, nothing really seems better, it's better than pure black primer that's for sure.

@Everyone: Cav mentionned the board so here, have some info about it and the rules for the game.

About the board, it's a gaming mat from gamingmat.eu 48*72 inch (we played on 48/48), if I'm not mistaken (not mine), and 2 set of macrage basic terrain. About the LoS blocking terrain it's something I was thinking aswell, but concidering what we had (at our disposal) it was not possible. I will need to discuss that with my friends for the next few games. For cover we decided to go with: if you are on it you get cover, and if you stand just behind it you get cover aswell. Ok let's roll then.

------------------------------

ELDAR CRAFTWORD VS ORKS ! 500 pts, no real scenario to speak of. We only played for the fun, no kill point just a basic: Slay the warlord, line breaker first blood and it's all. (now that I think about it should have played with some kill point aswell.  We didn't have the big rule book at hand so it was hard to determine what to play.

Onto the list then.

Eldar was:

Batallion (3CP) - 500 pts
 - Hq: 2 (separate) Warlock - Singing Spear
 - Troops: 10 guardians (shurycan plateform), 10 gardians (scatter platefrom), 6 dire avenger (5 +1 exarch double Avenger shurycat)
 - Fast Attack: 6 Swooping Hawks (5 + 1 Exarch with Sunrifle)

Orks was:

Batallion (3CP) - 500 pts
 - Hq: 2 Warboss with mega armor(not sure of the english name but 2+ save) - Energetic claw(?) and Fling Kustom (or something like that).
 - Troops: 10 Boys, 10 Boys (Big Gun, or something), 15 boys Rocket launcher.

Well I got to deploy first but as I have unit more than he does, so I started second.
Judging from the wording I assumed "Placing the hawks into the skyes" counted as one deployement action. If I was wrong then what can I say.

TURN ONE !
ORKS:  All orks forward.  Everything said, for movement.  Shooting phase saw the rocket launcher doing one dammage to the guardians, with shurican, the big gun dealt one dammage to the same unit. Nothing more for orks.

ELDAR: Repositionnning a bit of the units, forward for the shurycan team to get in range and get some cover, backward for the other expect for two guardian and the plateform so they can fire at full bs. Avenger moves forwards to get in range. And the hawks come in behind the orks line just in the corner of the table...  this probably was a mistake, but we shall see that later.
Psichic phase was... glorious... Basicly I tried to used bravour with the warlock close to the shurican team (the one not painted closest to the camera). Failed miserably... even used a CP to sill miss. And for the fun of it, I used enhance on the other team...  PERIL... Luckily I only did one on the mortal wound role leaving my warlock on 1 HP, I could have lost the game just there with a first blood/slain the warlord on first turn (he was the warlord yes). Shooting phase saw me go crazy. Fired avenger, scatter and shurican in the closest 10 man boys squad, left only two of them alive... and that's where it went down hill. Swooping hawks shot. 5 guy's rapid fire 2, so 10 shots ( the autarch was one inch out of range). 9 hit, one wound. THERE IS ONLY ONE ORK ALIVE between me and the first blood point! I was cursing at my dice roles (EVEN USED A CP TO FAIL AGAIN THERE), and the bullamphetamine parrot rules of orks moral. I gotta admit that's one of the most intresting rule I have ever seen and one of the strongest if used correctly.

Side note: Could someone be kind enought to remind me of the rapid fire rules? That's something we were not sure about.

End of turn one.

TURN TWO !
ORKS: Orks all move forward expect for the lone boys trying to move back and a warboss who thought It might be a good idea to go and kill a bunch of swooping hawks (he even ran toward me). The shooting phase saw the rocket launcher hitting again, killing one avenger (my friend said he killed thor, wich made me think that from now on every exarch I have in an Avenger squad will see it self with a marvel avenger paint job, but this is for a later date). The lone warboss desided it was time for a one man waaaaghhhh, and charged my hawk. No damamge on overwatch and only one kill in cc, but the hawk could do nothing to him.

ELDAR: The hawks fled from over the warboss shot the lone orks left, giving myself first blood in the process. The shurican team moved back a bit and the scatter team did not move. Avenger moved to be just at max range. Scatter and avenger unload on the rocket launcher boys squad. Killed a bunch (can't recall exact number).  Shurican killed a couple in the other squad.

End of turn two.

And I'm going to bed. End of bat-rep hopefully twomorrow, when I stop being lazy and do it during the day.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:58:52 PM by Grizzlykin »