News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Imperium and Human Population  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Awfully Dandy

Re: The Imperium and Human Population
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Whether these colonists are voluntary or voluntold is up for speculation but I presume they're willing colonists rather than prisoners and the like.

I imagine it depends on the planet. There is probably no problem getting people to sign up for a verdant world. Getting people for a hellhole (but strategically important) planet is another matter.

I do think it's worth mentioning that while the High Lords probably have zero interest and time to deal with individual planet's fertility policies, the nature of the planetary tithe of men for the Guard would encourage Planetary Governors to come up with policies to encourage a high birth rate so that the tithe could be meet.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Assuming of course that the colony recruiters are telling the truth. What you sign up for and what you get may be two entirely different things.  ;) Especially true if the recruiters have a quota or monetary incentive involved with their work. Because basically, what are the colonists going to do after arrival, walk back?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »
I do think it's worth mentioning that while the High Lords probably have zero interest and time to deal with individual planet's fertility policies, the nature of the planetary tithe of men for the Guard would encourage Planetary Governors to come up with policies to encourage a high birth rate so that the tithe could be meet.

Well, supposing that planet's tithe is in the form of fighting men. One would assume that mining worlds and agriculture/aquaculture worlds, and similarly highly specialized worlds could escape the demand to send 5% of their PDF to the Imperial Guard and instead sending their respective resources - much like Catachan only provides fighting men, and not anything else (if my memory serves me right.) It's a nitpicky point, of course - I agree completely that an Imperial Governor would probably be concerned with how to sustain the population of his planet.

And to see how effective the Imperium is at repopulating planets - didn't they essentially replace the entire population of Armageddon in about a 400 years time?