News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: MacGyvork's Workshop: Orks  (Read 5075 times)

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
MacGyvork's Workshop: Orks
« on: January 7, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »
ORKY greetings to one and all !

My History:

I have recently just gotten back into the hobby again after selling all my models and going on a university exchange to Taiwan. A lot has changed during my time away and i recently acquired an Ork army ( through a commission paint job )

I decided that i would start up a thread about the construction and the painting steps i take to:

a) Derive a colour scheme
b) Experiment with the new techniques and colour theory
c) Convert models
d) Help out beginner painters with my modeste skill and hopefully shake off all the rust before i reach my character models so i can do a decent job !

Hopefully this project will inspire others to do so, as well.

I have changed my choice of paints from Citadel to Vallejo as I find that Vallejo colours can come in quite a variety of gamuts.

Aim:

1) To paint an army to the best of my ability with the goal to improve on technique with every brushstroke
2) To learn more about colour theory and to get more into the technical side
3) To have a competitive army list to enter into local tournaments that also looks good on the table
4) To give a step by step account for what i do when i paint and convert an army
5) To have fun ! Painting should be an exciting and enjoyable aspect of the hobby – not a menial task.

Weapons of Choice:

Airbrush
An ever increasing array of Vallejo paints
Weathering powders
Oil paints
Plastic medical gloves
Blu-tac
Corks
Hobby knives
Windsor & Newton Series 7 brushes in 000x2, 00, 0, 1 & 2
Digital Camera  - For all those updates
6.25" curved sharp tweezer
5pc single ended dental pick set
Dremel 421 polishing compound
3/4" brass wheel brushes
32pc needle file set
1/4" x 9/16" cone rubber polisher

Last but not least my 'Palette o' Doom'

A standard artists palette as pictured here:

The List:

( note: the models in this are the base for an army i hope to play with/have – I have a great deal more models, but to avoid getting overwhelmed by the Orky madness I plan to break it up into models that I include in my 1000pt and 2000pt army list. )

HQ:

Warboss ( PK, Attack squig, Cybork, 'Eavy armour )
Warboss ( PK, Attack squig, Cybork, Warbike, BP )
Big Mek ( KFF, PK )

Elite:

8 lootas
8 lootas
5 Kommandos + Snikrot ( 2 burnas )

Troop:

4 Nob Bikers + Painboy
NB1: PK + Waaagh Banner
NB2: Big Choppa + Shoota/Skorcha
NB3: Big choppa
NB4: naked

18 boyz + 1 PK nob w/ BP
19 boyz + 1 PK nob w/ BP
11 boyz + 1 PK nob w/ BP in a trukk
11 boyz + 1 PK nob w/ BP in a trukk
10 Gretchin

Fast attack:

The Green Baron ( 1 Deffkopta was TL rokkits and a buzzsaw )

Heavy Support:

Battlewagon ( Armour plates, Grot rigger, Deffrolla, 2x Big shootas ) 
Battlewagon ( Armour plates, Grot rigger, Deffrolla, 2x Big shootas )

See list above for assembly updates/ colour scheme patterns/ test model colours ect. as I will update this main post with links further down so you don't have to go searching  ;)

The Saga:

Chapter 1: Mold lines are the bane of my existance *sadface*

When you need to pretty much assemble and carve out/ file down all the mold lines on the models over a few days it pretty much will do your head in. So I'm a firm believer in doing it in small amounts and before you actually assemble the models. This way it will not put so much strain on the plastic/metal surfaces that are thin and or fragile.

After being covered in shard of plastic and metal for the last 3 days and swearing that if i see another mold line today i will kill its entire family and its pet Goldfish... ( and I'm not even half way through the assembling ) I have decided that enough is enough and its time to assemble, base and try test colour schemes on the ones i have done. 

Chapter 2: Assembling the models and basing! - In progress now.....

Easy enough. Glue meet plastic, plastic meet glue.

Granted that the customising and the full conversion of this army is quite a project ! I believe that doing it this way will improve my conversion skills as well as my painting.

I have ordered some resin bases so, please forgive my models that are made up/painted on standard bases. These are only temporary.

Chapter 3: Creating a colour scheme.

Ahh probably the hardest thing for me is to choose a colour scheme. Its definitely up there on the list with choosing a name for a character on an Online RPG.

I like to have a darker feel to my colour schemes. I will try and go with some realistic ( as you can get ) weathering with my Ork vehicles as well as adding a lot of colour nuances through the models to shy away from a 'flat colour with highlights and shadows'. I love the dark and gritty nature of WH40K and the lore surrounding it. That's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it hahaha.

I always like to start with a 'test model'

This is where i paint him with a very very vague colour scheme in mind, test the skin colours, try to identify whether the model should belong to a clan ( Goff, Bad Moon etc.) or should be a part of my overall army colour scheme. From there i pretty much go with inspiration of models i have seen and colours that i like. I have a general idea of what I want to paint prior to adding any colour to the model as I consult my painting bible !

Most of the time it works for me as i have  basic idea of what colours complement others and what clashes horribly to look like M&M vomit of a small child who has recently taken LSD, thinks he is a squirrel-turkey monster and is currently trying to eat your shoelace.

So what i will be doing is the main infantry squads up one at a time, but at this point I am still in the conversion stage !
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:19:29 PM by ΦMacGyvorkΦ »

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
Re: -Φ Daoshi's Φ- Orktastic WIP blog
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »
'ello boyz  ;D

Today I have made a start on my crazy plan to customise every single Ork boy ( and the rest of my army as I progress ) !  8)

Currently mould lines are the bane of my existance and that is merely on the torsos alone ! *groan*  :-\

My plan is to use a fair amount of bitz from the sprues (as well as all the ones I have accumulated over 10 years or so ) on each model as to represent a 'loota' feel to them. They may not represent lootas per se, merely the idea that the boys 'keep what they kill'.

I will also be making 'mixed' weapons in one squad ( yet counting the whole squad as choppa + slugga for gaming purposes ) to get more of a random feel. The items will include burnas, big choppas, rokkits, big shootas, shootas, sluggas and so on and so forth. I despise any sense of uniformity when it comes to Orks ! I will also be looking at adding other races' weapons into the mix as well. Just have to do it in bits and pieces as to not get too bogged down, but you can expect to see some orky versions of the alien weaponry. I won't be having orks running around with weapons smaller than what they would normally use ! That is just not on !  ;D

Here are some pictures of the process so far ( and a snap at my work station ), I will be making a WIP Ork blog somewhere along the line to share the Orky love with one and all.

I am a bit stuck and deciding which bases look better before I order them:

Pros: Cheaper and isn't so cluttered as to distract from the model on top.

Cons: Not a huge amount of detail.

OR

Pros: Very details bases. I imagine great for models with a low amount of detail such as grots.

Cons: Detailed to the point where it can be considered too cluttered for a base. More expensive ( not by much )

I can do a mix of both, just at this point might be best to stick with some sort of uniformed base. Throw in your 2c if you have an opinion  ;)

With any luck I hope to be updating daily with new pictures and progress so stay tuned !

May the WAAAAGH be with you.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2012, 06:29:43 AM by -Φ Daoshi Φ- »

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2012, 12:43:09 AM »
Well it looks like I just dumped about $350 on new paints and bases !!!  :o

I am quite excited, but I also know that this is a huge investment towards my painting career so I take it with the knowledge that I am going to have to perform to the best of my ability and that any sense of procrastination is now unforgivable ;)

You may ask my why I did such a thing.... well:

Right now at Maelstrom Games http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk ( and only until tomorrow ) they are having a January sale of 17% off the RRP on most things. I have always intended to pick up my paints from there as the retail price in Australia for what I picked up would have cost me $950 !  :o

A saving of $650.... sign me up !

I now have over 140 resin gaming bases ( varying in size and style and only costing $50 ) on their way as well as 111 new Vallejo paints. That brings my total paint count to 175 Vallejo colours and 78 Citadel colours ( excluding duplicates ).

I picked up a few extra things such as pigments and weathering powders so that I can really go to town on this Ork army and make it the best I can.

Not sure about you guys, but I am really excited for what is to come ! So stay tuned  ;)

May the WAAAAGH be with you.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »
After a long and tedious process I have managed to separate left arms from right arms, heads and bodies that were randomly floating around in my massive bitz box. The real conversions start tomorrow !  ;)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
I know it's late to comment on the bases, but I think either will do fine...  My own ork army is based on rusty debry, and it really adds to the army...

I can't wait to see what you do with you your orks based on the past posts you have made!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
I know it's late to comment on the bases, but I think either will do fine...  My own ork army is based on rusty debry, and it really adds to the army...

I can't wait to see what you do with you your orks based on the past posts you have made!

Adam

Hey Adamscurr ,

Thanks for the kind words, I am really excited about this army ;) I went with the first lot of based in the post above as the 40mm bases that I will be putting my Nobz on were a lot like them as less cluttered than the second industrial ruin set. I will be working hard on these guys and I have my first 'Nob' posed so far with blu-tac. I will be editing this main post as I add extra photos throughout the day.

2 Nobz down. 2 to go  ;D

Not a bad kitbash day. Greenstuff and all those goodies will be done later on when I get new supplies.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:55:02 AM by ΦMacGyvorkΦ »

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
Re: MacGyvork's Workshop
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Hey all,

I have been working on this guy for about 2-3 days now and I suppose he is ready for some pics. A few things still need to be done and is currently, very much so a WIP. Tomorrow I may be adding a bosspole if all goes well.

The Nobz for my army will be all converted from the metal warboss torso. They will fit quite nicely on the 40mm base and as my Warboss is the Forgeworld Biker, these guys certainly won't out-muscle him !

I used standard yellow-grey milliput and blue/yellow kneadatite ( greenstuff).

C&C welcomed as always.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
Ok...  So how did you sculpt the ammo belt?  It looks really good, and very uniform...  have you made a mold for them...  Also, the gun on the pack looks great...  Did you hand sculpt it?

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
Hey Adamscurr,

The ammo belt was indeed made my a mold as there was no way I could come up with to get that sort of chain effect that thin. It is possible to carve out a piece of plasticard and attach thin greenstuff links to it, but the catch was that I needed it to flex and curve back into the backpack. So what I did was made a basic plasticard mold so that I could add the greenstuff in to get it uniform, like you said :)

The backpack itself is sculpted yes, and I got the idea for it from a devastators heavy bolter backpack. Anything that didn't need to have any flexible property was made from milliput as it dries solid and can be sanded/filed, unlike the flexible greenstuff.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
Quick update before I go to bed: Bosspole complete

I feel that he is starting to come together now with the positioning and the flow of the model. I may or may not leave the whole lightning claw arm there, or do up a Mad Doc Bionik version.  I feel it is a lot better than the standard powerklaw for the story that this model tells.

Will see how it goes tomorrow.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
Good work so far, I like looking at your work, good stuff.

Some of your pictures aren't loading for me, even when I hit the little icon. Don't know if it is just my computer or if your picture host is being a bit contrary.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
Hey SKEETERGOD  :D

Thanks for the comments, I will be sure to keep it updated as regularly as I can ! As for the pictures, they are all linked through facebook so I am not sure that site ever dies. How many icons do you see? I can't see a problem from my end but I might move them to say photobucket if there are any issues with viewing my pictures. Thanks for bringing it up  ;)

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
Just a quick update:

The powerklaw needs a bit more work to smooth out the bionic bits as well as to make it flow a bit more. Then all that is left is to give it a once over with milliput to clean up the joins and cracks and it will be ready for undercoating ! This is Nob 1 of 5  :o

Just a size comparison to a model I painted a long time ago.

C&C Welcomed as always.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
Re: MacGyvork's Workshop: Orks
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »
I got some bases and paints in the mail today  ;D

This inspired me to rearrange my work area to increase efficiency and therefore productivity  ;)

The spaces in the shelf are for the flesh tones that I will be getting in very soon  ;)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Now that is one impressive paint collection! Maybe you could proxy paint bottles as ork boys and run a green tide waagh  ;D

I do like your hobby room, I am insanely jealous  :-[
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »
Thanks SKEETERGOD  ;)

The room has worked out quite nicely. Just a matter of putting brush to mini right now for the upcoming WOTW boss entry. I have to say I am a bit nervous as it will be the first painted model I have done in over 3 years and everyone is looking to see what I come up with in my gaming circles. Quite a bit of pressure to perform :o !!!

I have a lot of ideas for the model itself but being painted before FEB 1 is quite the challenge, lets see how I go  ;)

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »
Big Mek ~ step one complete !

I have de-constructed the Big Mek and will go about painting it in this manner.

Primed with Vallejo Primer White to which 5 layers of very thin Vallejo Flat Brown were applied.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »
I got a bit more work done today.

Basecoat for the metallics of the model are done for the most part. Worked out the distribution of the cold and warm colours. Boots are something I will look at when I get to them as I am not sure what I am doing for them right now whether it be dags/checks. Thinking about being crazy and giving him a kilt  ???

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »
He is looking pretty good, you seem to enjoy the process, and this lets me know you are becoming addicted to orks. Welcome to orkaholics  :) We don't worry about the anonymous part, we just enjoy the addiction  ;D

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »
Thanks SKEETERGOD,

Things are coming along but I had to stop today to work on a Dark Eldar Tantalus and a Space Wolves Thunderhawk Gunship !!!

Dark Eldar Tantalus

Thunderhawk Gunship

Both bags. That is a lot of resin !

Bag 1

Bag 2

Approximate size of the gunship. I put the pilot there for size reference

What does this have to do with Orks you say well... I got these models as a bonus for helping out with the preparation of the Tantalus !!

1 Stompa, 16 Deffkoptas ( potential buggies ), 1 Trukk, 1 Battlewagon, 5 Burna boyz, 5 Lootas, 10 Stormboyz, a bunch of Nobz and Boys !

Going to have a nap and then get back to painting  ;)