News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Tale of Four Gamers 2009  (Read 47017 times)

Offline StraightSilver

A Tale of Four Gamers 2009
« on: January 6, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
Hey Guys,

Ok so anyone who reads White Dwarf will know the deal with this.

Myself and 3 friends have rather foolishly decided that as part of out New Year's Resolutions we will take part in a "Tale of Four Gamers" style challenge beginning 1st January 2009 and finishing 1st August 2009.

So the plan is for each of us to assemble and paint 250pts per month for 6 months resulting in each of us having a 1500pt fully painted army at the end of the challenge.

We will game on the first Saturday of each month with our assembled forces, awarding each other points in the style of the White Dwarf article.

We will then have an overall army list and painting competition at the end of the challenge which I would like 40kOnline members to vote for.

The four of us have many years of 40K experience, having all started with Rogue Trader way back, but find it difficult to get motivated to paint and play games on a properly regular basis, especially as we all hold down full time jobs. The idea is that this challenge will focus us (me in particular) to get an army finished but also play some games along the way.

So the challengers are:

Chris Parsons (me): I will be assembling and painting 1500pts of Ultramarines. This is because I want to be able to assemble and paint an army that requires little conversion work and has all the models from the Codex available. This is mainly because I am the slowest painter of the group and rarely get things finished.

Lijah_Cuu: Will be assembling 1500pts of Chaos Space Marines (mainly Plague Marines). Lijah_Cuu is well known amongst our gaming group for his particularly nasty Army Lists so this is quite an appropriate choice (in other words he always whoops me!!). He is however going to be assembling his army using a ton of Forge World bits so this should be quite an interesting (and expensive  ::)) army.

Stuart: Stuart will be assembling and painting 1500pts of Daemon Hunters (mainly Grey Knights). I think this will be a fairly straightforward army although Daemon Hunters gives him a lot to play with so again this should be interesting.

Yan: Will be assembling and painting 1500pts of Imperial Guard! :o I think the man is crazy to pick IG for this challenge but I have faith in him and know that he has already been beavering away on Infantry Platoons, but I think of all of us Yan will have the biggest challenge. However he will also get a nice new Codex halfway through the challenge which should be interesting.

The monthly scoring is as follows:

Models Painted on time = 5 points
Game won = 3 points
Game Draw = 2 points
Game Lost = 1 point ( to encourage players to actually turn up and play )

At the end of the Challenge there will also be 10 points awarded for Best painted army and 10 points for Best Army List. We would like these to be voted for by 40KOnline members in July/August.

Players have 250 points to spend on their armies each month and may carry over unspent points into the following month but may not exceed the monthly point maximum.

Players need to have the mandatory 1xHQ and 2xTroops completed by the end of Month 3.

The aim of this thread is for the four of us to provide Work in Progress details of our armies, tell you all about our games and get feedback and tactical advice from you guys about our lists.

Hopefully it will also be a learning process for us and a kind of motivational thing for anyone like me who struggles to get anything finished.

So to get the ball rolling my first month will be spent as follows:

Assemble and paint 5 x Marine Scouts: 4 x Bolter 1 x Heavy Bolter
Assemble and Paint 5 x Tactical marines: 1 x Bolt Pistol and Chainsword 4 x Bolters
Assemble and Paint 1 x Space marine Rhino with Pintle Storm Bolter

Total Points spent in Month 1 220 pts

And to prove I've been busy:

So that's one squad down.......

Any suggestions for the challenge would be greatfully received, as well as feedback on our army selection, tactical advice or general Comments and Criticsms. Obviously it's early days but as the months progress hopefully the four of us will have lots to show you all.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:25:22 AM by Chris Parsons »
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
Re: A Tale of Four Gamers 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »
We (as 40kO) have one currently running in the Projects board, plus there was one this time last year (links to my contibutions for both in my signiture), and a few others that other members have on their own. I expect your thread will be moved there shortly!

Good luck though!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2009, 09:48:07 AM by Jonik »
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
Cheers Jonik, yep it got moved.  ;D

You know I've never actually checked the projects board out before though, more stuff to peruse at work..... ;)

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »
And all full of pretty pictures :D

Offline lijah_cuu

• Best Painted Hellhound; Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks to Chris for sorting the log out!
I've always wanted to do a chaos marine army and I love forgeworld stuff so I thought it would be good to combine the two. My aim is to, where possible, use FW's lovely bits of kit to do up my marines and then try not to bodge them with my painting...
Thankfully, as csm are quite expensive 250 points a month is pretty much just a 10 man squad and a Rhino so I won't have to much stress trying to do a good job on them and hopefully be able to use my airbrush on the larger kits,etc, to save time.
Having splashed out and got the renegade strike force box and most of all my FW stuff express delivered yesterday I shouldn't be too far behind the other guys and not have to shell out anymore cash apart from getting a few bikes and so on.
So far I have managed to put together my first squad of Plague marines and their Rhino:

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2009, 04:35:28 AM »
Ooooh those Plague marines are looking great already!

I thought you were gonna get delayed by Forge World being slow but it sounds like they were pretty fast. I may have to pop round and see them in the flesh at some point, although it's too cold to even think about leaving my flat at the moment!  ;D

Well I attempted to assemble a 5 man Tactical Squad last night, but only got as far as cleaning up 5 sets of legs, as they were covered in mould lines!! I also hate cleaning up marine plastics as I always seem to carve great chunks out of the curved armour plates!

I seem to have lost a bit of momentum though and need to pull my finger out as I am falling a  bit behind my schedule. My Tactical Squad should be assembled and undercoated by now so that I can paint it up over the weekend.

However spraying undercoat in this weather is probably going to be tricky. Anybody got any suggestions for spraying in sub-zero tempratures?

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2009, 05:41:50 AM »
Bring them round to mine if you want mate..I just do mine over the bath as the paint won't fix to anything in there.
Did a test figure on the marines last night and im really chuffed with it! just needs a little more detail work on it and it will be done. Im glad I went with airbrushing everything with a thin purple coat first as it makes it look nice and gribbly. This was followed by a drybrushing it with  camo green, another colour that i've forgotten the name of (!), rotting flesh and then a little bit of Kommando Khaki for highlights. Lots of washes on the armour and weapons have aged it nicely i think. Will put up a pic of it when I get home at 4 as I was up till 11.30 with it. I reckon I should be able to do the rest in the next few days and then have a go on the rhino.
Not sure what to do with the bases as yet, thinking I would like to do something with water affects to give them a swamp feel but you don't get much room on the base because of the stupid great feet they have!

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2009, 05:56:25 AM »
Nice one cheers mate, I may well have to come round and kill you with Toxic Undercoat fumes then! I also do mine over the bath but my bathroom is actually colder than outside at the moment!! OK so that's not actually true but you know what I mean.

So are you using the Citadel Washes on them? I have to say that I have been impressed by them so far. I was a bit sceptical at first but now I am sold, they give nice coverage and go on without all the mess you used to get with inks.

I also think using the Airbrush is a very good idea too. It will give you nice coverage without obscuring detail, which with Forge World stuff is essential.

And I am intrigued to see how they turned out now, I wasn't sure about the purple base colour to be honest but it sounds like it's gone really well.

As for the bases yeah I know what you mean about the feet!! marines just don't seem to fit a 25mm base!

Swamp would have been my first choice too, but you're right there isn't much room. That would definitely work on the Termis though if you're doing Nurgle ones? Or are you having Khorne Termis?

Only thing is would you not want unified bases for the army? Swamp would look great on the Nurgle but a bit odd on the Khorne.

How about something different like snow? You could maybe have horrible gribbly stuff on the snow for your Nurgle marines, and then some lovely bloodstained snow for your Khorne?

Also got an email from Yan this morning, he's finished 250pts of Guard already!!!!

Better pull my finger out I guess.....

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
Yan posting under my pseudonym Dakota
Weaklings!
A week gone and only one paltry squad each! Ha!

You will be ground under the boots of my Imperail Guard Legions!

Ok, Enough boasting. This should be a pretty hard challenge. As Chris said, getting an entire army up and painted is the challenge. I've got a pretty cohesive vanilla space marine army, and a 95% done Tyranid. On top of this there's a 60% finished Tau force. And as the challenge was issued, I was contemplating finishing a Chaos Marine army that had a sort of corrupted Space wolf theme going on.
Can you see a pattern?
Yup. Start an army, buy the bits, put them together, then get bored with painting, and end up playing them as an ugly half painted army and then move on. So I really welcomed this as a chance to get an entire army up and painted.
So, here's the plan for the guard army I'm doing. Get the boring line troops done first. According to GW rumours, the troop sprues are going to get recut and reduced and although there may be some nice odd bits on the new sprues, the basic Cadian troops I want to use should be fine as is. Then, as the new codex is released, and the new Chimera and Russ tanks come out, buy them then and see if the variants fit in better with the themes doing.
So for month 2, we're supposed to be fielding "legitimate" armies. Now this is a real struggle for the Guard. You can talk about doctrines, and using my base troops as grenadiers etc, but to me that means: 1 HQ with command platoon, 2 troops platoons each consisting of the minium command squad plus 2 troops squads. Anyone want to do the math? 55 models!!! Basic - ouch!

Now, as luck would have it (kind of), I've just had a week off work as i couldn't take any time over xmas, so it's been out with the brushes and a painting frenzy. Sadly though, the stuff I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so it's been a case of doing the bits I did have, and running through some conversions on figures I had in my bits box. And after five days painting, I'm really regretting my choice of colour scheme - doh!
Going into this, I'd seen the Star Wars: Clone Wars film, and in it there are some clone scout troops in a mottled white cammo version of thier armour. I really liked the look of this, so I figured I'd do a winter scheme cadian force, with fortress grey fatigues under white armour patterned with dappled Catachan green. If you can imagine that.
My initial tests on some old sniper figures (that i'll be fielding as ratlings) worked really well, but then they didn't have the large expanses of armour.
Long story - Short. Painting white is a nightmare. I've gone back to using a priming technique an old friend showed my years ago, of using a white undercoat then a black wash to get the best of both worlds, black lined recesses, along with bright easy to cover areas. I'm nothing like the painter Chris is. I learnt all my techniques almost 15 years ago. Slap on a base colour, highlight, then a wash to blend the two, none of this thin layers building carefully up to something. Too slow and messy, with far too many chances of ballsing it up along the way with a duff layer.
So this month i've managed to get done:
My General - a conversion from Commissar Yarik - powerglove is gone and replaced by a bionic arm with powersword
6 ratling snipers: a mix of catachan and cadian snipers plus the sniper from the last chancers
10 man hardended veteran squad - I found ten old Tallarn troopers in my bits box and used them to make a cammo smocked squad of infiltrators.
20 base Cadian troops plus veteran sargents. No suprises here.
troop platoon command sqaud: Another figure from the last chancers (good guy) providing the junior officer.   
This is more than my 250pt allotment, but next month begins the slow work of converting ogryns and roughriders so i figured i get a bit of an early lead on before griding to a green stuff laden halt.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
This is the test model for my Nurgle boys. I still need to highlight,etc, and cover up a bit more of the purple showing on the backpack and so on but overall I quite like it.  He's not as bright as he looks in the pic but had to hold the lamp in one hand and the camera in the other...
Any recommendations please let me know!
« Last Edit: January 7, 2009, 11:54:33 AM by lijah_cuu »

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
Hey Yan,

Good to have you with us on 40KOnline! Sounds like you have been a very busy man indeed! I must admit that having the time off over Christmas meant that I got more done than usual, but coming back to work this week has left be a bit unmotivated.

However the idea of Tale of Four gamers seems to be having the desired effect, as even though I didn't feel like doing much I did manage to get some stuff done last night, so let's hope I can keep it up for 6 months.

And it is so nice to now have another Guard player amongst our group!! Now you can feel my pain! ;D

Yes there are indeed a lot of the little buggers to paint aren't there! Having 25 models for 1 troop choice (minimum size Infantry Platoon) is a bit of an ordeal painting wise

Anyway what you've done so far sounds cool, I love the idea of the Commissar Yarrick conversion, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

And I watched Clone Wars (didn't think I would like it that much but it was awesome!) and agree that the digi camo on those biker scout troopers is really nice, but I do think you're gonna have difficulty replicating it.

I still think the colour scheme would work better the other way around, with white camo fatigues and grey armour, or even a mix of both?

Or if it really isn't working out maybe leave it as it is on the Ratlings and try something else on the Infantry?

I also really like the idea of using Tallarns as Hardened Vets. I have quite a few of the old metal tallarns that I will never use too (a gift from Alex bless him) if you need more?

But in any case it all sounds like we are doing well. Stuart isn't moving house now so should also be starting soon, although I know he is unwell at the mo' and has lots of non-gaming stuff to sort out but I reckon he won't have any problems doing his 250pts. After all that's about 8 figures for Grey Knights!!!  ::)

Yan if you want to get some photos of your figs so far let me know and I can get some sorted for you, or if not when we game in Feb we can get some then.

And you don't need your 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices until Month 3 (so that's March) so you've got a bit of time to paint all those Guardsmen!!  ;)

Edit: Ben!! That looks really nice! Much more subtle than I was expecting, but I really like it! It looks like ET when they find him dead in a ditch!! ;D

The purple has worked fantastically well, and the paint has gone on very smoothly.

It's a bit early days yet, I think once you get the metallic areas and the base done they will contrast quite heavily with the pale armour, but I think that will be a good thing.

I do really like it though, and everybody is working so fast too!

Think I'm gonna get left behind again.....

« Last Edit: January 8, 2009, 04:39:09 AM by Chris Parsons »

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »
Cheers mate!
Want to have a crack at a couple more of them tonight, but the power of the xbox is strong...must resist,must resist.....

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
Had a get together session today with the guys and managed to get quite a bit done... these days are always good to keep everyone motivated and you can get loads done as long as you leave the beers 'til later!
My squad is now at 5 completed marines and two 75% completed, they just need detailing and highlighting, I reckon I should finished them tomorrow and maybe a couple more as well.

My army is going to be a fairly solid list with 2 full Nurgle marine squads and a Khornate beserker squad as my troop choices, all with rhinos, im considering a 5 man rock hard nurgle biker squad for a fast choice but I need to work out whether I can fit forgeworld Nurgle bodies on the bikes instead of the normal breastplates...plus they're £20!!

My normal ultramarine list is based around quite a mechanised assualt force with attack bikes, speeders and rhinos..since 5th edition came out now use a couple of tactical marine squads as my troops instead of just a couple of cheap scout squads and then spend the rest of the points on assualt troops so I'm looking forward to trying these boys out!

Some pics of where I am at so far, once again i'm having trouble getting the lighting right - really must get round to reading the instruction book!! Im leaving the bases till last as I still have to work out what I'm going to do to them.

Offline kototama

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 08:56:28 AM »
I must be slightly barking taking this on. I am in the middle of sorting out moving and will likely be moving house over the next three weeks so it could prove interesting fitting everything in as we've not started packing up yet. Slightly unnerved by how much you other three have done already. I only started properly yesterday and am a little behind. Despite how long it's been out I've still not played 5th edition either so that will be another 1st for me. No idea what structure my army will take yet. Had planned to include a GK dreadnought but had started that back in early december so I can't really count it in this challenge. Cannot decide whether to go for an inquisitor or GK hero for the HQ. My first unit will be a standard GK tact squad (not that I can get much for the points). For the 2nd troops choice, not sure whether to go for another GK tactical or a squad of inquisition stormtroopers.

For 250pts I can get up to 8 grey knights which I've now based and basecoated. I have a strong belief grey knights should be grey so I'm keeping the "official" red/white part of the GW scheme but replacing the silver with some sort of grey (not sure quite which tone of grey. I've basecoated with a 50/50 of chaos black & charadon granite, will probably work up to adeptus battlegrey). I've attempted a lava effect base but methinks it fails miserably so i'll probably have to redo those.

BTW. GW bromley have introduced a "are your models painted" policy required all models to painted to a reasonable level of completeness (beginners sessions with staff are exempt). Offenders will have their unpainted figures removed or be "invited" to abandon their game, so I won't get away with half painting these. At least the place won't be full of goblins with unpainted half built armies any more....

Offline Wallance

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
Hopefuly me interjecting isn't a bad thing.

Good stuff so far guys.  I've been toying with doing something similar down here.  Hope you don't mind me willfully stealing your format.

And as for the last thing about GW stores not letting you play unless you have a complete paint job... way toi chase away potential customers.  I spend a lot of money on this hobby.  If I was just starting with the same financial intent and went into a store like that and was thusly treated so... I would very likely either not ever go to a GW store again or depending on their tone, quit the hobby.  It's bull like that that is chasing away our casual (and spending) fan base.  Let people try their armies that they just bought from you.  We're impulse shoppers!  Why force us to stay home when we couild have our in progress armies in your store.  It would suddenly be "Oh... I need this in my army and they have one on the shelf! $$$$$"   It also shows a progression in the modelling part.  I've had people see my fully painted army and say it's nice but not be too impressed.  Then they come see my studio with the sprues intact... models only primed... models based... and in various steps towards completion and are suddenly more impressed and more inspired to do their own.  Silly GW.  Do they even know how to run a business right?

Offline Wallance

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
PS:  Great work!  I am looking forward to seeing some of the guard work.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »
Cheers Wallance, by all means steal our format, although we did steal it pretty much straight from White Dwarf. :-[

And thanks for the feedback too, so far the idea is working really well. We are all working hard and getting stuff done, and I am looking forward to gaming with our new armies.

I highly recommend this type of project to anyone who like me struggles to finish anything. I seem to be able to be productive if I have some sort of deadline to work to.

And so I should say very well done to all Four Gamers, we seem to be on target for our first month's deadline.

Or at least everyone that is except me.... :'(

I reckon I should be Ok, but I forgot to factor in real life when working out my schedule, and as I am working this weekend I'll lose at least a whole day's painting time. Which I probably need as I didn't seem to get as much done as I had wanted this weekend.

I should say a big THANKYOU to lijah_cuu for hosting another great painting session. These are a great way of getting stuck into painting, and having a couple of other people all doing the same thing with you helps too.

Basically we just get a few bottles of fizzy pop, some random crisps, junk food etc (and Pizza - no garlic bread jokes please guys) and sit around painting all day. This not only makes a change from gaming together as it gives us a chance to have a proper natter, but means that we get that bit closer to finishing our armies.

However as I am a dreadfully slow painter all I have to show for my weekend's work is this fella:

This is one of my Tactical Squad marines. I only have 5 of these to paint this month, along with their Rhino transport, so I reckon I should be Ok, but I was hoping to finish this month's stuff a week early so that I could spend more time on my Army Commander.

Having said that the reason this guy tok so long was because I was thrashing out exactly what colours I was going to use, so the next four hopefully will be a bit quicker.

Just got to figure out my army list properly now. I am still getting my head around the new Codex, and still want to try an all scout army.... ::)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »
Its good to see progress and I wish you all the best of luck in this project as I know how difficult it can be to stay focused, etc...

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »
Garlic!? On BREAD?!?

Sorry...

How do you go about painting the gold - it looks fantastic! It looks like you've used GW metallics too rather than NMM, which I'm much more interested in (easier!).

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
Hi Jonik,

Cheers, the gold wasn't too tricky to be honest.

I think the secret to painting with GW's golds on a black undercoat is to paint the area you want to be gold in Mithril Silver first.

This is because the GW golds are very transparent, whereas Mithril Silver goes over black a treat, and tends to shine through the gold making it look better.

So I paint the area in Mithril Silver first to act as a sort of metallic undercaot.

Then paint the area in Shining Gold (the darker more reddish Gold) and allow to dry thoroughly.

Then apply Ogryn Flesh wash over the entire area. I just used it straight from the pot, and one coat gives a nice ruddy Gold. Also allow this to dry thoroughly.

Then carefully apply Devlan Mud in the deepest recesses, it doesn't matter too much if this stage is a tad messy, but try to get it only in the darkest areas rather than covering the whole thing or it takes away that nice ruddy gold effect achieved in the last stage.

Then repaint the area in Shining Gold, leaving the darker colours in the recesses.

Then highlight by adding Burnished Gold (the light Gold colour) to Shining Gold until you are just using Burnished Gold.

And then if you want to you can apply straight Mithril Silver to the very uppermost highlight areas.

As you can see I like to make everything I do very longwinded, but I tend to use a lot of layering on my figures and use about 6-7 layers on each area.

However it does give a nice end result, even though it probably takes far too long.  ;)

And bugger, the garlic bread jokes have started already! It's a bit of a running thing with my gaming group, but I get a lot of stick for it....  ;D

Anyway thanks for the support, I think my sanity is still intact, just! I am very much looking forward to getting some gaming done now!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:32:29 AM by Chris Parsons »