News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vampire and feelings  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Russ, Gue'Vesa from the Tiny Red Dot

• The luckiest tau alive
Vampire and feelings
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »
Alright, this is a warhammer FB fluff. I have read over the Von Carstein's book and found it quite interesting. In the warhammer army book, vampires are seen as creatures that kill without any pity or whatsoever(even for Abhorash the first blood dragon, who actually harm others except for his countrymen). They are said not to have any emotions, so this is the question, is it true. If it is true that they cannot have emotions such as love as their heart stopped beating? If it is, how is it possible that Vlad succumbed to blinding rage, and Isabella to love for her husband? Or are they just thinking that they are emotionless because they think their heart is the one that control emotions(like people of old.) which in fact is the mind that control these emotions?
What is strategy without a little luck? What is firepower without a little luck. Some may say it is a miracle, but I say, with a little luck, many things will go your way

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
Re: Vampire and feelings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »
I see no reason to assume vampires can't feel emotion. As you say, the examples of vampires feeling and being driven by emotion are many, and I'd add Genevieve Dieudonné as another vampire that clearly has emotions. What's the reference on them being emotionless, out of curiosity?
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »
In the Buffyverse, the one thing that seperates a Vampire from a Human, behaviour wise, is the absence of a soul.
The soul in this case is a sort of "conscience" without which you're driven more by impulse then morality.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »
...and? My keen message board senses cannot fail to alert me that we're not talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. What's the relevance of that to Warhammer Fantasy?

Offline Russ, Gue'Vesa from the Tiny Red Dot

• The luckiest tau alive
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
I read it from the novel, and a vampire said they are stronger because they can't feel or something like that. So i was wondering if only the strongest of them had more mundane feelings like humans. A little something like a necron lord, only the strongest of them retain their memories but are a shadow of their former self.

Anyway, i was also guessing because the addiction to blood is so strong that they cannot control their emotions well enough.
What is strategy without a little luck? What is firepower without a little luck. Some may say it is a miracle, but I say, with a little luck, many things will go your way

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:21:05 PM »
...and? My keen message board senses cannot fail to alert me that we're not talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. What's the relevance of that to Warhammer Fantasy?
What I mean is, a similar situation could be occuring here, GW not being about nicking from other sources for their fluff.

Offline Larandil

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
I read it from the novel, and a vampire said they are stronger because they can't feel or something like that. So i was wondering if only the strongest of them had more mundane feelings like humans. A little something like a necron lord, only the strongest of them retain their memories but are a shadow of their former self.

Anyway, i was also guessing because the addiction to blood is so strong that they cannot control their emotions well enough.

If the hunger for blood were the only thing a vampire could keep his mind focussed on, they would make pretty poor warriors. Always on the verge of forgetting objectives and tactics in favour of ripping open some victim's throat for the blood inside, just like your average Khorne Berserker ...
That said, I see no reason why they should not take a good drain before moving into battle.
And if you know from experience that there are pretty few things around that can actually kill you, you tend to worry less about what the other guy can throw at you - unless it qualifies as "vampire-killing".

Feelings are not caused by the beating of a heart.
Too much Mon-Keigh business
for me to be involved in!

Offline Hashulaman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »
Look and Vlad as Isabella von Carstein. They loved each other with such a passion. One of the special rules was if one died, the other would be under hate.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
Night's Dark Masters provides a much more detailed and interesting description of Vampires and their moods, feelings, etc. They do feel, but they aren't human, and any attempt to ascribe human ambitions or emotions to them is ultimately futile. They crave power like humans crave water, with blood coming in as an excellent source of that power (for themselves and also over others). Vampires are, for the most part anyway, scheming, manipulative and power-mad. They mostly lack empathy and are generally self-absorbed to a nicety. They do feel love, as in the case of Vlad and Isabella, but that's about the closest they come to humans.

The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »
They do feel, but they aren't human, and any attempt to ascribe human ambitions or emotions to them is ultimately futile.

Incidentally, am I the only one getting rather tired of that line from GW? Nothing is ever human or subject to judgement by human standards. Not that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, but still, I find it irritating.

Come to think of it, how does Genevieve fit into the above? The model of vampirism in those books is different to the norm, particularly in that they seem to actually be tolerated in the Empire, but she didn't appear to necessarily crave power, nor did a few of the other vampires there either. Honorio, I recall, was one of them.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 06:40:46 PM »
She does seem to break the mould somewhat, doesn't she?

And it wasn't just Honorio, there was a whole 'convent' of what I guess you could call pacifist Vampires. They pretty much just wanted to be left alone. Certainly Genevieve was peaceful enough to be allowed near the Emperor himself on multiple occasions, and they knew full well what she was.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »
Genevieve is often more humane than the fanatics of the imperium.
it is just lake many fluff by GW that is set in Stone there are many exeptions.
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Caerolion

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:44 PM »
I think it's mainly put down to the fact that most Vampires seeing humans as just cattle, nothing more. As such, they are generally uncaring of their fate. Outside of that, the Vampires seem to have full emotions. Mind you, I've only read the Liber Necris, not Nights Dark Masters, so it might have changed, or something.

Also, GW Vampires definately have a soul, its just that it resides entirely in their body, rather than how a normal persons soul is equally between their body and the Realms of Chaos/Warp/whatever you want to call it.

Offline Xeal

• Nothing says free time, like modifying an avatar.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:21:26 AM »
Im pretty sure the liobre necris says about vampires and emotions.  I don't have a copy with me to check, but im quite sure it claimed that vampires could only feel emotion when they had drunk blood, otherwise they were emotionless.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
Come to think of it, how does Genevieve fit into the above? The model of vampirism in those books is different to the norm, particularly in that they seem to actually be tolerated in the Empire, but she didn't appear to necessarily crave power, nor did a few of the other vampires there either. Honorio, I recall, was one of them.

Assuming that is, that Genevieve's actions aren't part of an elaborate deception meant to ingratiate her amongst the citizens of the Empire. Taking things at face value is a pretty rookie move when it comes to vampires.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*