News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Where do you think Russ went?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline -The Reaper-

• Ordo Punkus - Emo Hunters
Where do you think Russ went?
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:12:40 PM »
After the Horus Heresy ended, in the midst of comrades while feasting Russ came over in a trance. He gathered his wolf guard (except Bjorn!) and left on a mysterious journey. The Wolves have lead great hunts trying to find there master but have thus far only managed to recover his armour, where do you think he went? Is there any solid info onto where he went and why he didnt return?

Personally, i think he found out what really happened and went to apologise to Magnus for destoying Prospero. Maybe trying to bring him back to the light side  ;)

You don't here much about Magnus, he's in the Ragnar novels but i would have rather they fought Ahriman in those books..

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
Re: Where do you think Russ went?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:30:48 PM »
Russ wouldn't apollogise, but he would try and make amends.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:23:17 PM »
He went the same place the other primarchs went. He jumped into a plot hole. Come the final battle, he will fall out the other end, with hilarious consequences to fight Chaos.

Quote from: DB_Reaper
Personally, i think he found out what really happened and went to apologise to Magnus for destoying Prospero. Maybe trying to bring him back to the light side 

I hardly think he would want to apologise for that. Surely the aftermath of Prospero and the present state of the Thousand Sons, and of Magnus the Red himself, proves him correct? After all, Magnus was a sorceror, and by now he is quite unequivocally corrupted by Chaos. Daemon princes usually are. Even otherwise, Magnus has attempted to destroy Fenris before, even assaulting it in person, and while Russ wasn't around to see that, it's a fair indication that Magnus isn't exactly repentant.

I don't think Russ would think he has anything to apologise for. As far as he's concerned, Magnus is the one who did wrong, and the only mistake made was allowing Magnus to escape alive. One of the origin stories for the 13th Company would support Russ holding a grudge; sending the company through Magnus' portals to hunt him down. It's only one of three theories, but unlike the other two it's supported by 2nd ed. material, which gives it the edge in plausibility, I would think.

Still, if you think Russ is searching for a specific person, I'd think it would be Lion El'Jonson. Those two primarchs did have a rather involved relationship, and at the conclusion of the Heresy I do think they got over their feud (Jonson's attempt to kill Russ in the aftermath of the Siege of Terra, specifically; as Russ didn't defend himself, I got the impression he'd forgiven Jonson, or at least come to an understanding of Jonson's perspective). It's plausible that Russ would want to seek out his old friend/rival, especially considering the mysteries surrounding Jonson's disappearance. The Watchers in the Dark are waiting for something, are they not? Perhaps it is Russ.

Or perhaps not. Wild theories abound when it comes to the primarchs.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Bumbles

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:46:49 PM »
Maybe he went to the pub.

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
Don't be daft!

He obviously needed a kebab after some heavy bingeing.

Uhm, what about Khan? Of all the living primarchs, his fate seems to be the most dodgy. If anyone where to save his ass, why not Russ?
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:34:37 AM »
Maybe he went to the pub.

Or an all-you-can-eat restaurant ;D

No, seriously, I think Russ is somewhere roaming around the Eye of Terror, fighting Chaos and looking for redemption for having failed to arive on time to aid the Emperor. Corax also went into the Eye and Jonson was about to do the same. Split up his legion, give command to Luther and then take a small bodyguard with him on a Crusade into the Eye.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:37:46 AM »
The Great Khan is in the webway somewhere, probably Commoragh.

The primarchs who's fates are most open for debate I would say is Corax and Vulcan who both disappeared and no traces so far has been found.

I think Irandrura's theory about the Wolf and the Lion seems most plausible, if any of them do.

Offline Colonel Penguin

• Blood Claw
  • Chaos, panic, disorder, I see my work here is done
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
well Irandrura's theorie seems the most plausible in terms of russ's character (then again the drunk in some random pub is equally plausible)

As for the 13th that's the theorie I personally have modeled my warband around.

but like most primarchs that disapperaed it's a plot device. they couldn't kill them all so they disappeared some. It's a gw magic trick like squats now you see them now they never existed and we deny all knowledge of their existance
"All right son we're the last two soldiers of the imperium left on this rock. We're going to hit them hard"
"Yes sir I just have one question. Which end do the bullets go in again??"
"That's your knife trooper."
Last words of Sergent Cole. He was found dead, still strangling the body of trooper Brooks

5000 pts space wolves
4000 pts 13th company
3000 pts space marines Knights Invictus

Offline unsafestbird

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:17:03 PM »
I think Russ is at a pub with the other primarches. Corax, Vulkan, Khan and Russ all are having some nachos, ale and playing some poker.
The enemy of my enemy dies next

Offline Xeal

• Nothing says free time, like modifying an avatar.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 10:34:49 PM »
Thaks for that unsafestbird.  Now all we have to do is answer the most importanty question since did the emporer create sliced bread?

Which Primarch is better at poker out of Russ, Corax, Vulkan and Khan?

Offline Bumbles

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
Russ, the huge beard would make for a good poker face.

Answering the question:
I think Russ, knowing that the Chapter would be fine without him, but the Wulfen would need a strong hand, he went into exile to train and lead them against Chaos on it's home turf.

Corax and Vulcan are dead according the the HH novels.

Khan is in the Webway, given a map by the 'Quins (for their own reasons, maybe Khan found the Laughing God and is a human Solitaire).

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 01:36:47 AM »
Just a note to keep it constructive. While it may be amusing to contemplate the primarchs playing poker at the pub, it's also on the spammy side of things, so let's not go too far with it.

Corax and Vulcan are dead according the the HH novels.

Where do they say that? The only place they appear I'm aware of is during the Drop Site Massacre portion of Fulgrim/

We know both of them survived the Drop Site Massacre, because they do things afterwards. They were both around to take part in the debate over the Codex Astartes, for example (ref. p. 6 Codex: Black Templars), so they can't have died before that. I believe both of them left their Chapter and set out for the Eye of Terror alone.

Offline Bumbles

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 05:49:21 AM »
That as may be, but Fulgrim STRONGLY implies that both Corax and Vulcan are dead.
Certain Horus thinks so, and the writer writes about the chapters struggling without their Primarchs.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 07:19:50 AM »
Radical though this may be, I think explicit statements that they survived trump 'strong implications'. In Corax's case, it's even quite well documented what he did after the Drop Site Massacre. It's rather important - the Emperor told him to rebuild the Raven Guard, he authorised the use of a dangerous, experimental technique to clone Space Marines, was tormented by the guilt of knowing he'd created thousands of monsters as a side effect, killed them all personally, prayed for a year and a day, and in the end headed off into the Eye of Terror. It strikes me as being, on the whole, stronger evidence than a mere implication in Fulgrim. Vulkan is less well documented, but he's been repeatedly referred to as siding with Dorn in the codex dispute, and the Salamanders themselves believe he's still alive and will return. It's unlikely they'd believe that if they knew he died.

All Fulgrim says is this -

Quote from: Fulgrim
[p. 482]
Ferrus Manus watched in mute horror as he saw a storm of fire engulf Corax, and a titanic explosion mushroom skyward from where Vulkan stood in astonished outrage at what was happening.
[p. 494]
Of Vulkan there was no sign, his warriors cut off and surrounded by the Night Lords and Alpha Legion.

I don't seem to see any other mention of them after the massacre begins. On a quick flick through Horus never seems to talk about them, nor is their absence specifically noted other than the quote I just posted.

Fulgrim never says that they die, and makes specific mention of the fact that a number of Raven Guard, Iron Hands, and Salamanders escaped. Judging from what we know from other sources, it seems obvious to me that they survived. Nothing in Fulgrim necessitates that they're dead, and as they're both noted as having done things after the Heresy that would be rather difficult for dead people to do, I'd make the assumption, radical though it may be, that they survived.

Then again, I like to think Ferrus Manus survived and Fulgrim wasn't possessed by a daemon, but we all have our little conceits. ;)

Offline Mechanicus

• C'tan Support Group
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 07:51:27 AM »
Close!
Quote from: Fulgrim page 494
"A band of Raven Guard smashed through a cordon [...] towards a miraculously undamaged Thunderhawk as his warriors bore the grievously wounded body of their Primarch towards escape."
You just missed the mention of Corax, one line above the Vulkan reference. :P
Quote from: Ragnar Karlsson
Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are worlds where half truths, lies, propoganda, politics, legends and myths exist. The absolute truth which is implied when you talk about "canonical background" will never be known because of this. Everything we know about these worlds is from the viewpoints of people in them which are as a result incomplete and even sometimes incorrect. The truth is mutable, debatable and lost as the victors write the history ...

Offline Bumbles

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
Whoops, sorry for the confusion folks, it's been a while since I read Fulgrim, all I remembered was the Primarch massacre.
Mind you, I agree that Fulgrim being possessed is a rubbish idea.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »
Quote from: Mechanicus
You just missed the mention of Corax, one line above the Vulkan reference.

Argh!

I remember looking at the start of that paragraph, noting that it mentioned the Raven Guard, but I couldn't spot the name 'Corax'. Maybe because I was scanning the text for the words 'Corax' or 'Vulkan', I missed it because it didn't mention his name. It's funny what we miss.

In any case, that looks to me like a clear description of Corax's escape from Istvaan V. He may have been wounded, but apparently they got him out of there, and it's plausible enough for him to recover.

Offline Caerolion

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 12:25:15 AM »
You really can't trust some GW stuff though. In the Black Templar Index Astartes article, they state that Ferrus Manus supported the Codex Astartes...

Offline Mechanicus

• C'tan Support Group
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 10:51:05 AM »
And you will note that Ferrus Manus, according to the Scriptures of the Iron Hands, appeared in a vision to the Iron Hands when the Emperor died, telling them of his fears for humanity and that he would be there for the end times (or somesuch fateful overly dramatic speech). Who knows? He might have said to support the Guilliman and his Codex Astartes while he was on the subject of humanity. :D

Either way, I wouldn't discount it entirely.
Quote from: Ragnar Karlsson
Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are worlds where half truths, lies, propoganda, politics, legends and myths exist. The absolute truth which is implied when you talk about "canonical background" will never be known because of this. Everything we know about these worlds is from the viewpoints of people in them which are as a result incomplete and even sometimes incorrect. The truth is mutable, debatable and lost as the victors write the history ...

Offline -The Reaper-

• Ordo Punkus - Emo Hunters
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 07:07:36 PM »
Yo,

Just to let you know, i was joking about the apology to magnus. Note the smiley..

Doesen't it say somewhere in the ragnar books that Russ is searching for a tree, with fruit of magical healing.