News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: If You are Going to Post an Army List Please Read This First!  (Read 18154 times)

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
If You are Going to Post an Army List Please Read This First!
« on: October 8, 2003, 07:53:28 AM »
First have you read any of the other army posts, someone may have already posted a list like your's and you will get an idea about how people tend to view some choices.

Second is you list legal?  Please check that you have taken the min/max unit choices on the force organization chart, and that wargear and upgrades are right.

Third tell us the type of opponents you normaly fight or if you want a balanced army to take on any one style army, it will affect any advice.

Forth how experienced are you? If you are a newbie thats fine say so (we tend to assume you are anyway) or a vet looking to fine tune your list.  Also what kind of tactics do you use?  How much terrain do you play with?  This and the above will help improve the quality of your responses.

Fifth please do not post upgrade specific point values for any units as they are copyrighted material and could lead to Games Workshop requesting shut down of message boards on the site.  This is not an optional step.  However, total unit cost is fine to show.  Also, if someone helpfully points out that you should delete the points values please be respectful and realize they are just trying to help.

Sixth, if you could, this isn't needed but, at the beginning of the title of an army list thread:

[HM] I own the models in the list - Have Models
[NM] I need to buy the list - Need Models
[HM/NM] I own some of the list and need to buy some
This helps people know if you actually own the models as this can affect some peoples responses to your army list.

This forum is the place for not one, but quite a few armies.  If you are posting an army list, be specific in your title.  Be sure to tell others that it's a Dark Angels list, or a Close Combat Orientated Vanilla list.  This will help stop people from entering threads they don't want to.

Seventh, we're not here to write lists for you.  We're here to help you modify your list and tweak it.  So at least give us a rough sketch to work with, posts such as make me a list don't fly well.

Also, if there seems to be a lack of interest in your thread, and it isn't getting any replies, don't post "is anybody there" or anything to get it to the top of the list.  There are other ways such as PMing people you know and asking them to kindly take a glance at your list if they have time.

This was partially copied from PF199 on the Eldar Online boards, and others who have made suggestions, no offense is intended to anyone, I thought this would be helpful to other message boards.  The following was submitted by Spiritbw:

One of the big things that effects what people are going to say is how you play.  This is pretty individual to each person and each person has a way that they think things should work.  This means choices that one person thinks is bad while another thinks it is good.  It all depends on how you field your army.  For example, someone who likes to charge up an engage close in might favor melta weapons.  The low points cost, high power and armour punch makes it ideal.  The person who likes to sit back and pound the enemy to pieces though will find that the melta weaponry have too short a range and shun it in favour of other things like the lascannon. 

A unit that works well for one might be shunned by another for the same reason.  A person might take a pred because the cost is cheaper than a dev squad, but the other might prefer the dev because they just can't seem to luck out on the hit charts.  It's not uncommon and it really isn't a choice you can come to by law of averages. 

Some might find that certain combinations work well for them that others don't.  The composition of squads may differ depending on play style.  For example I always take veteran Sergeants and always outfit them with power weapons or fists.  It's an extra 30/40 points a squad but the number of times that has turned the battle for me has made it worth it.  I make it up a bit because my tactical squads don't typically carry heavy weapons though.  the tactical squads I feel should be able to move to better positions without having a weapon that might make it just as tempting to stand on a bad position to be able to fire it.   This is especially true as it seems there is alot more emphesis on holding objectives and table quarters under the new rules.

Some might find that certain combinations work well for them that others don't.  I often also have a Deardnaught or my command squad moving in tandem with a tactical squad.  Since both can have improved stats in close combat and better weapons they tend to be able to help the tactical squads with units that would otherwise be to tough for them or (as often happens) to numerous to deal with quickly.   Many don't do that and have each squad act independantly of the rest.

So far that's been assuming we're just dealing with the basic list.  Now add to the fact that there are at least seven or more possible alternate rules out there for specific chapters with Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Black Templar being the major four out there. There are alot of possibilities and even then, you have variations on the theme.  I knew a guy who fielded a SW army that was mostly tanks.  Not exactly what you expect from your average Space Wolf is it?  He did however win every game he played with it and switched to a diffrent list out of boredom.

Long and short of all this is that while we all can help, there is only so much we can do.  Alot of it is going to depend on you and how you want things to work.  While we can make initial suggestions and even discuss the effectivness of specific units and combos it's up to you to find out what works for you.  Get out there, play, have fun.  Don't worry about making the killer list of all time.  If you lose, figure out where you went wrong and tweak your list or tactics accordingly.  While we all can help nothing in the end beats experience.

Thanks for reading this.   If you have any suggestions for this please post them here and I'll add them if they are needed.

Cheers!  :D[/color]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 06:00:31 PM by Ranger Astheria »

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: If You are Going to Post an Army List Please Read This First!
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2003, 05:25:49 PM »
Also, i'd like it to be noted that if you do have codex supplement, for easy quick acess to it when noone posts there anymore, put the link here as soon as you have the thread started as then everyone can kow about it  :)
« Last Edit: February 6, 2004, 06:10:01 PM by Falhandir »
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2004, 07:45:26 AM »
Falhandir's link is no longer valid. All home made Codices/rule suppliments should go here

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

• Ancient
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2004, 10:13:58 AM »
Thanks Wargamer
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Eddie_karrde

• Seventh Son of ... willkarrde?!?!
« Reply #4 on: July 2, 2004, 09:42:04 AM »
Does this include armylists that allow you to create an army thingy- a variant on codex SM, like the BT list in Armageddon, and not just actual armies made using official codex lists and GW trial rules???
Haha, I have returned after a mighty crusade through the Eye!!! No one can stand before me!!!!....

Right...

"Iron Maiden! Excellent!"
-attributed to Bill S. Preston Esq.

"I hate Eldar"
-willkarrde

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 06:03:01 PM »
Yes it does.

Also, the post has been updated with some revisions and Spiritbw's submission.

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 01:55:14 PM »
A beginner's guide to making a Space Marine army list is currently under construction. Please have a look at it if you're going to post an army list.
See http://www.40konline.com/index.php/topic,77888.0.html

Please don't dig up older threads (e.g., more than one week old). Simply start a new one.

Everybody starting a thread should come back and answer the replies at least once.

Don't hijack a thread by posting an army list non-compatible to the one to be discussed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 03:51:40 PM by Wuestenfux »

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:59 AM »
Please note that army lists made for the 5th edition will be immediately locked.
Even if a pdf file is floating around, most of we know are rumours.

Offline Nathanralph

• And They Shall Know No Fear...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:38:13 PM »
Hi just wondering if you could look at my army list and see if it fits the criteria.
Thanks!!!

Offline bezerkoid

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
Is 5th Edition still to be locked?

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
Is 5th Edition still to be locked?

Aha no, if you look at the time stamp the post was made before 5th ed was officially released.  They're pretty standard now.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2009, 03:50:28 AM »
You will find a short beginner's guide  to making a Space Marine army as a sticky thread at this board.
Please have a look at it if you're going to post an army list.
See http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=173380.0

Please don't dig up older threads (e.g., more than one week old). Simply start a new one.

Everybody starting a thread should come back and answer the replies at least once.

Don't hijack a thread by posting an army list non-compatible to the one to be discussed.