News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wishlisting/Rumormill for New Marine Codex  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Wishlisting/Rumormill for New Marine Codex
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »
Okay, got the codex and had a good look-through.

The most surprising improvement to me are Chaplains! The new Litanies look great, *especially* Litany of Death! I can see them now as more than just an assault unit now--they can be legitimately useful in a gunline or defensive role!

I also like a number of the new Stratagems, which overall got much better. They are *really* pushing Intercessors now, huh?
I probably should see about all my old Tac Squads crossing the Rubicon Primaris (a bit of fluff I love, by the way).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »
The most surprising improvement to me are Chaplains! The new Litanies look great, *especially* Litany of Death! I can see them now as more than just an assault unit now--they can be legitimately useful in a gunline or defensive role!

Chaplains in Gravis Armor would be really cool, now that I think about it. But yeah, Chaplains are officially worth taking now. Just wish we had some other chaplains if we have to have them monopose.

I also like a number of the new Stratagems, which overall got much better. They are *really* pushing Intercessors now, huh?
I probably should see about all my old Tac Squads crossing the Rubicon Primaris (a bit of fluff I love, by the way).

That would be really cool, Primaris do haze some snazzy models ;D. Are you going to try and convert or just build up your primaris forces?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 06:35:11 AM »
I'll just buy more guys and say that they're the old tac squad reborn. My tacs did some good work for me back in the day. They deserve it.

In re-reading the Chaplain Litanies, I see that "Litany of Death" is actually "Litany of Faith" and that it only applies to mortal wounds. Still cool, but less of a no-brainer.

In other news: Assault Carbines are a *lot* more expensive, huh? I mean, that makes sense, but it's also a hefty price tag. GW may have just priced them off the board.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Are you leaning more towards Vanguard Primaris or the Battleline Primaris?

What are your thoughts on the Impulsor? The shield dome gives it a hefty invulnerable save, plus with it's 14" movement, this thing can deliver cargo pretty reliably from what I can see.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
It can deliver...what, exactly? 6 Intercessors?

Plus, invulnerable or not, it's not very tough, doesn't add much firepower...

Meh.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 08:38:34 PM »
Incursors, Infiltrators, Aggressors... minimal squads, of course. But then again I don't really play 40k (yet), but I think I can see some potential for it.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2019, 09:10:53 PM »
Incursors, Infiltrators, Aggressors... minimal squads, of course. But then again I don't really play 40k (yet), but I think I can see some potential for it.

It can't transport Aggressors (who, I agree, were it possible = no brainer). Infiltrators and Incursors have zero use for a transport and are actually worse with one.

The only useful options are Intercessors, Reivers, and Hellblasters. Hellblasters I'd rather have on the board, blasting away. Reivers I can actually see as being useful, but Reivers are pretty awful so I can't see taking them.

So, Intercessors. What exactly are you getting with a transport option, though? They have enough range that they don't really need to move much. They don't especially love assault. Shelter from Turn 1 fire might be nice, but it's a steep price to pay for only that, and after that first turn...then what?

I just don't see its use, I'm afraid. Transports in general this edition are just so, so lackluster. In almost every instance I'd rather have more guys shooting. 

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
I'm seeing your point now, guess I haven't read the rules thoroughly enough. I knew Infiltrators don't need them, but the idea of incursors make them sound like they need to get up close to use their weapons, an assumption on my part. And if Aggressors cannot take them, then yeah, I concede my point :).

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »
I'm seeing your point now, guess I haven't read the rules thoroughly enough. I knew Infiltrators don't need them, but the idea of incursors make them sound like they need to get up close to use their weapons, an assumption on my part. And if Aggressors cannot take them, then yeah, I concede my point :).

Incursors have the same deployment rules that Infiltrators do. If you want to get up close, well, you're already there.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:34 PM »
Let's take this thread in a new direction.

We've seen how strong the new supplements are making Chapters.  So, following the general ideas we've seen from those that emphasize a chapter's fighting style, what would you guys like to see from the remaining supplements for codex chapters?  Also, what would you like to see from the non-codex chapters?

Naturally, my focus is on how the Dark Angels would look when they get brought up to speed.  I think the first and obvious one would be that the release of the codex would be a perfect time to also release Primaris Terminators and Bikers.

As for rules, I like Grim Resolve as it is now, but include something to keep the focus on Plasma.  Perhaps along the lines of a pure Dark Angel army doesn't overheat, or all of their plasma gets +1 damage.  Additionally, instead of doctrines, I would love a focus on Deathwing and Ravenwing.

They could make them have something for pure Deathwing and Ravenwing lists.  Maybe Deathwing don't suffer a -1 to hit with power fists / hammers / heavy weapons, and Ravenwing get a 6++ if they move and no penalty to hit with Land Speeders.

Let's hear some other ideas!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 06:33:10 AM »
I very much doubt we'll ever see Primaris termies. That's what Gravis armor is.

I'm very excited to see what special stratagems and gear the Fists get. Ideally something to make them more durable in cover beyond their fairly lame warlord trait.

Besides the "boutique" chapters (Dark/Blood Angels, Space Wolves), what are we waiting on? Successor chapters?

I'd like to see Deathwatch have access to Phobos armor troops, but that's about it.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2019, 01:50:11 PM »
For DA - I would love to see them get 'Doctrines' but those be different for them. Same for Wolves.

Same concept - but call some something different.

If a DA army is 100% DA, then all Plasma shots add 1 to their damage and only overheat on an unmodified roll of a 1

Hunt Doctrine: All DA units add 1" to their run rolls. In addition, they may advance and fire assault weapons without penalty, and vehicles may move and fire heavy without penalty. Finally, all rapid fire and pistol weapons may be treated as assault.
Capture Doctrine: All DA units may add 1" to their charge rolls. They may also add 1 to hit rolls in close combat
Contain Doctrine: All DA units, other than flyers, gain the Objective Secured keyword. If they already had Objective Secured, each model counts as two when counting how many models are near an objective.

Still mulling over Wolves and BA
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.