News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fun lists for Blood Angels?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Fun lists for Blood Angels?
« on: May 1, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
Anyone have some fun lists for Blood Angels? A friend is looking for something that plays more like they used to, as in being somewhat focused on close combat rather than gunlines. We play upto 2k points, but as low as 500 points for combat patrols.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Fun lists for Blood Angels?
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
I would check out StrikingScorpion82's 2000 Point List & Tactica on YouTube. He is semi-competitive and has annual seasons in which him and his friends compete for the top spot. I would give his channel a visit! :)
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2019, 11:56:00 PM »
It really depends on what you view as a fun list.  Do you want something that will hold its own?  Something that plays more to the fluff?  Or something that is just so balls to the wall crazy that you don't care how the game plays?

I went down that last route when I built my Night Lords and I've really been enjoying it.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
I've switched to a mostly close combat oriented BA list that has been quite fun. Run a dual battalion with close combat scouts as your troops (6x5-man squads). 1-2 big units of Death Company (bolter/chainswords and a few hammers) and a squad of Sanguinary Guard. Using stratagems you can start off really close to your enemy and it's really fun. The key is lots of scouts since they're quite good in a BA list due to the army trait. They can deceptively do a lot of damage in combat.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2019, 07:10:21 AM »
It really depends on what you view as a fun list.  Do you want something that will hold its own?  Something that plays more to the fluff?  Or something that is just so balls to the wall crazy that you don't care how the game plays?

I went down that last route when I built my Night Lords and I've really been enjoying it.

More fluffy, so a bit more close combat rather than gun line heavy. You can get death company to work but its a lot of points, I think a unit of I think they are vanguard with power swords (~18ppm) should do well given the army rules.

How are you guys delivering BA's close combat units given the speed of other armies now?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2019, 11:23:24 PM »
Scouts just scout deploy. One unit of jump pack DC can forlorn fury up. Then you can fling another squad of whatever with jump packs using stratagems.

The issue isn't my army not being fast (read, close enough). My issue is keeping my HQs close enough to buff my units.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
How do you find Rhinos/razorbacks? Are the tank transports too much of a target if they have HQ options in them?

Any love for an allied detachment of standard marines? A librarian with might of Heroes or Veil of time possibly even null zone with a bit of luck, would be an interesting combo as a Vanguard or DC jump past.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2019, 10:44:04 PM »
Rhinos are over priced for what they do, whereas Razorbacks are decent.  Not a fantastic option, but decent.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »
Rhinos are over priced for what they do, whereas Razorbacks are decent.  Not a fantastic option, but decent.

So do you use 5 man combat squads in razorbacks or do you use the razorbacks as a heavy weapon platform?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:52:24 PM »
Frankly, I don't use either.  I mentioned in another thread that the issue with Rhinos (and inherently Razorbacks), is that any competent opponent is going to have enough anti-tank to reliably kill a Dominus class knight in a single round of shooting.  Personally, I find that if you are looking for a heavy weapon platform, Devastators are a better option.  They are much easier to get in cover and have a wider variety of weapon options.

Armour is inconsequential in this meta, I find.  You have to build to be able to take on Knights, which can make lighter tanks irrelevant.

It really is a shame, because two of the most iconic vehicles in this game for Marines (Rhinos and Drop Pods) are practically useless.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 12:19:33 AM »
They key to taking BA as an army is to focus on the army trait. So you want to focus on assault.

If you're looking to take vehicles, you need to spam them, and would be better suited for another army.

Razorbacks were all the rage when you took 6+ with twin-assault cannons and Rowboat Sillyman to give them all the rerolls. A chapter master works too, but not as good.

You wouldn't put any units inside as you were spamming scouts as your non-HQ/character infantry anyway.

Edit: Stormravens would be BAs most points efficient vehicle for AT and some AI with hurricane bolters. Landspeeders with multimelta and typhoons aren't bad for the points and can do ok if you ran Dante near them.

I prefer to throw lots of close combat dice as described above.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:25:24 AM by Partninja »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:55 AM »
They key to taking BA as an army is to focus on the army trait. So you want to focus on assault.

If you're looking to take vehicles, you need to spam them, and would be better suited for another army.

Yeah but I was thinking you might use the razorback or rhino's to stop the unit from being shot before it could reach its target.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
All of your scouts infiltrate as close as possible to the enemy. A unit of jump DC uses forlorn fury to move up. Then you can fling another unit if you wanted. You literally start in the enemies face.