News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Number of Marker Lights  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Number of Marker Lights
« on: April 2, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
I'm curious ~how many marker lights you guys are putting in your 2k armies and what you're putting them on (or armies of other point values). I guess, of course, this depends a good deal on army comp... but would be interested if there is any general consensus.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Number of Marker Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 2, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
I should note that I haven't been playing a lot of Tau in this edition, but when I have, I've been taking between 4-8 markerlights, mostly on Pathfinders and Cadre Fireblades.

Basically, markerlights are okay if you get 1 hit and great if you get 5+ hits. Everything in-between is fairly situational and not really worth it unless you pack a LOT of seeker missiles.

Essentially, then, you're really only trying to get 1 hit on the units you plan on eliminate that turn. You don't need a hell of a lot of markerlights for that and, since the benefits they give are fairly incidental (re-rolling 1s on Tau BS just isn't that amazing), they aren't such a huge target priority as they were in editions past. In the rare cases you need to get a lot of hits on a single target, that's what the Uplinked Markerlight strategem is for.

So, for a 2000 point game, I rather doubt you'll need more than 10, but I wouldn't take fewer than 6, just because you're going to want a fair amount of coverage.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »
The Orbital Marker Distribution Uplink stratagem is also useful if you have an opponent who's managed to cluster themselves.

2,000 pts is a little higher than I'm used to so around 4-6 as well for lower point games. Now that MLs have been watered down somewhat really not sure I'll be upping that number even at 2,000 pts. Still have my Skyrays yet they're not as necessary anymore due to the change in flyer rules.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2018, 06:27:53 AM »
Used to love Skyrays, but now their markerkights aren't that hot, the Velocity Tracker is sort of pointless, and they are overpriced.

Hammerheads are much the same. Our battle tanks aren't really worth it these days.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »
Especially since seekers are harder to adequately launch now. I think my skyrays may be heading to the shelf for the time being. Tetras are still viable but FW and all that jazz.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.