News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 - Word Bearers - Walking Cathedral  (Read 1240 times)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
1850 - Word Bearers - Walking Cathedral
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
This is a joke list, of a sort. The question is if it's a workable joke.

++Word Bearers Grand Host++
+Lords of the Legion+
Palanquin Sorcerer of Nurgle, w/ ML 3, Spell Familiar, Malefic Tome - 190
Same, minus Tome - 180

+Lost and Damned+
Dark Apostle w/ Scripts of Erebus - 120
20 Cultists - 90
20 Cultists - 90
15 Cultists - 70
15 Cultists - 70

+Helforged Warpack+
Warpsmith w/ Combi-Meltagun - 120
Defiler - 195 - Warlord
Forgefiend w/ 3 Ectoplasma - 200
Forgefiend - 175
Forgefiend - 175

++Daemon Ally Detachment++
Herald on w/ ML 2 Paradox and Exalted Locus of Conjuration - 120
11 Blue Horrors - 55

Edited the list. Dropped a Disc from the Herald, turned one of the Forgefiends into a Cerebrite.

The Defiler benefits from an improved save and Challenging hidden Meltabombs due to being a Character. Depending on its Warlord Trait, it can either grant orders via Voice of Lorgar, alter mutations with Nexus of the Gods, or be a ML 1 Malefic Psyker. As a Daemon and a Word Bearer, it's able to safely reliably summon. Cultists bubblewrap. Sorcerers and Herald summon, and ideally get Cursed Earth for a 3++ Defiler, though the Herald can also grant Prescience to a Fiend or Defiler. Fiends are mostly for range, to stay in range of the Cursed Earth bubbles, and to punch through Void Shields and other nasty stuff. Warpsmith took a Combi-Melta to double-tap a trouble target. Because everything else has Crusader, the mob is faster than it looks too.

Competitive? No, but it's not a complete pushover. Hilarious? Absolutely.

You have already been asked once not to remove moderator comments and edits.  This is the second time you have breached this rule.  Please refrain from doing so again - Iris.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:15:23 PM by MagicJuggler »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 1850 - Word Bearers - Walking Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
I love the idea of a defiler as warlord, but in the world of d weapons and grav, he's a massive target.

Why not give the tzeentch herald the Grimoire so you can boost the defilers Inv to a 2+ save?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
Agreed with Killersquid on both points, I'd be pretty wary of having a Vehicle as your Warlord in this edition, even with a decent Invulnerable. I don't really like having MCs as Warlords as you can't really bubble wrap them effectively at the moment. Too easy to lose them to things like Skyhammers, Ranged D etc.
I do like the list and it does look like one that would be fun to play/play against. Good strong theme and a good variation of units.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »
Eh. I thought of it at first, and my issue is that without Fateweaver, that's still a 33% chance to end up with a worse save.

Skyhammer is going to be annoying of course. Spread out in a thin line, layer defenses, and do what can be done to suck up Grav. Hopefully go first and add some Daemonettes to pad out the DS zone, or keep to heavy cover otherwise.

Tweaked the list a little too.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:13:50 PM by MagicJuggler »