News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Priest and Righteous Fury  (Read 690 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
Priest and Righteous Fury
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:13:51 AM »
Just a question that popped up into my head.

If my command squad fires their Rapid Fire weapons in the shoot phase. And in the assault phase there is an enemy in reach, using the fact that the Priest's squad must charge into close combat, does that mean I could fire rapid fire weapons and still charge due to this special rule?

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
Re: Priest and Righteous Fury
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:38 AM »
You wouldn't be able to rapid fire anyway because you always count as moving...

Mr.Squid
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:47:21 AM »
Last time I checked, you could fire Rapid fire weapons while moving. To quote:

Moving and Firing: "Fire twice up to 12", or remain stationary and fire once up to maximum weapon range."

Firing and Charging: "Unit may not move in the Assault phase if the weapon was fire in the Shooting phase (unless allowed to by a special rule)"

It doesn't say you couldn't move and fire up to 12", just you could only fire up to maximum range. It is also implied that Righteous Fury is the special rule that allows the firing of Rapid Fire weapons and charging.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:58:46 AM »
(unless allowed to by a special rule)

There ya go. Righteous fury is a special rule.

If anything came up, I would assume that the people who shot in the shooting phase would get 0 close combat attacks, as that seems to be a quick fix that your opponent would probably agree to without struggle.

I suppose my only question is why you have rapid fire weapons in a squad with a priest in the first place...

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:12:14 AM »
From the Codex Space Wolves FAQ:

The Head-Strong rule states that "Blood Claws must charge if one of their models is within 6" of the enemy, unless led by..." a character.  This rule means that the Blood Claws cannot rapid fire their bolt pistols if the enemy is within 6" as this would prevent them from assaulting.

I would apply the same ruling to this situation due to the precedent set.  If you're in assault range, you would not be permitted to fire a weapon if it would prevent you from assaulting.
"A commander must have the courage to see his plan through,
for good or ill. Wars are won or lost when the battle-lines are
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 01:18:09 AM »
(unless allowed to by a special rule)
I suppose my only question is why you have rapid fire weapons in a squad with a priest in the first place...

It's just a hypothetical question, I was flipping through the codex and just wanted some conformation.

Offline Masked Thespian

• Blessed be the mind too small for doubt.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:39:48 AM »
The Witch Hunters FAQ covers this question quite nicely:

Righteous Fury (p. 27):  The rules for priests state that the unit always counts as moving, and must always charge.  To clarify, this rule effectively means that units with an attached Priest may never fire a Rapid Fire weapon if they are within charge range of an enemy, as to do so would preclude them from charging.  If there are no enemies within charge range, they can still fire at targets up to 12" away, but not beyond, as they always count as moving.
Regards,
Masked Thespian.

"Better to stay silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Winner of Games Workshop's 2005 Games Day Treasure Hunt.

Worst last words ever: "Ultra Magnus; you're in charge."