News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Has this happened to you?  (Read 403 times)

Offline Lieutenant Mack

• Lieutenant
  • For the Emperor!
Has this happened to you?
« on: August 27, 2006, 09:58:21 AM »
I played a game of 40k in 40 minutes last night using city fight rules against Ultra Marines..... I use camoleine and my stratagem was fortification thus giving me a 2+ cover save. My opponent was none too happy about this since he had a very tough time rooting me out of my top floor positions(he couldnt get into HtH until I took some shooting casualties since I left no room for him to get into Base to Base)

Do any of you feel my tactics combined with the Fortification/camoleine 2+ cover save unbalanced the fight?....It wasnt until I pointed out after the game that if he had taken some flamers, he could have toasted my arse that he realized how he could have won....as well, I took him down to the last with only minimal casualties sustained...:)

Listen up you slack jawed maggots. Until you are lucky enough to die by the Emperors grace, you will do what I say without question, without concern for your own safety, and without hesitation. Do I make myself clear?

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
Re: Has this happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »
I think this kind of topic should be in the IG tactic forum... As a future reference, please keep in mind that anything related to tactical ideas or principle in fighting should be posted in the tactic forum. Now then...

Do I feel that it is unbalanced? To put it bluntly... No, I don't. Your opponent should know well that, in low pts game, (or 40K in 40 mins in this case) he is likely to face more infantry than vehicles. Not to mention that he was fighting against you. (Guard) Not having proper equipments (or flamers to toast your men) for the job is not really a good idea.

From my point of view, you have chosen to take full advantage of any avaliable options & strategy that allowed you to archieve victory. Not to mention that your troops deployment was good which did give him a hard time. I think you should be proud of that, Lieutenant. :)

Who says that we, Guard, have to fight fairly? ;) Now, you said it yourself that he could have won if his units took some flamers. That alone could turn the tide of battle where all of the options you took become pretty useless...

EDIT - Correcting my English. :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 11:32:17 AM by wper34 »

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Sr. Commissar Gribb

• Senior Commissar
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Whoa! What's this guy doing on here?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:23:25 AM »
I did play against an eldar player who was hiding snipers in building ruins once.

He really didn't like when I got killed them in 2 turns using a couple catachan pattern sentinels
"The Old Guard" of 40kO

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.

Offline Stu35

• Meh
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »
If you go into Cityfight without any template weapons, or some serious hand-to-hand ability (or a nice mix of both), what the hell can you expect?

You took advantage of the situation available to you, and by the sounds of it his list simply wasn't balanced enough to deal with it - a well balanced list in City Fight simply HAS to include a couple of template weapons.

While we're on it, my and a friend have been playing reguarly over the last few weeks - his Ulthwe strike force vs My Infantry Company, I spent all week coming up with a list designed specifically to remove his Ulthwe from the table, and he decided to show up at the last battle with his Iron Warriors instead.

Naturally, I got hammered... he knew what I was planning for, knew what I was expecting, and used that to slaughter me. It wasn't dishonest of him, because at no point did we agree what armies we were playing with, I just ASSUMED it'd be the same army as the last few weeks and I made an unbalanced list designed to take out his WWP attack force, I've since learned my lesson and my list next week will be much more balanced.

Interestingly enough we're playing Cityfight, which means I'll be dusting off my Orks, and you can be damned sure that the list I write will be balanced enough to deal with Eldar, Tau, Iron Warriors, IG, Space Marines and an Armoured Company... because I'll definetly be facing at least two of them.

Of course, if you could give us an idea what list the Space Marine Player was using against you, that'd be nice...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:11:22 PM by Stu35 »

Offline Boris Grevane

• Drop Troops=Crazy as hell Mother F-
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 09:04:40 PM »
That is deffinitly not over balanced.

1. If he got into combat, your reduced to a 5+.
2. If he brought Flame weapons, your probably getting insta killed real quick.
3. Do you really think IG will fight fair? If they got to paccify a town of 3000, and had anything they wanted at thier disposal, they would first airstrike it, then have an armoured assualt, then an assualt from air and ground. They would probably scorch and salt the ground because they can.

IG are not called the hammer of the emperor for nothing.
Inquisitor Lord Boris Grevane
Captain Hykowa
Commissar Gorshak
The Ruling IG Triad of Richmond Area
"Dont mess with the captain."-Former Captain Grevane
Task Force Pheonix-Formerly 512th Company
"If it absolutly, possitivly, must be cleansed and purged overnight."