News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Sound of Silence  (Read 5775 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
The Sound of Silence
« on: June 7, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
Well then, it seems the forum has gone the way of the the old ones. Mysteriously dying off with barely any discernible evidence of their once existance ...

I am sure that someday there will be a new codex to breath life back into the orks. In the meantime the cases that hold my orks will just gather dust to symbolize the once glorious Waaagh the world once knew.

Is it something that I said? Sure the KoS is the best "klan" to have, but I don't begrudge the other types of ork armies that seem to exist, or once existed...

In the meantime, I will be watching. Ever waiting for the opportunity to proselytize new members into loving the color red and all the meaning it has.  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Dr. Zoidbork

• Yellin' at Kelis, coz I want me Boyz back!
  • Armies: Orkz!
Re: The Sound of Silence
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2016, 06:36:49 AM »
I am sure that someday there will be a new codex to breath life back into the orks.

I'm trying my best here!  :D

'Tis a shame that things are dying down.  For what it's worth, I'll keep updating the COR thread.
WAAAGH-Waaagh-waaagh-waaagh-waaagh-waaagh-waaagh-waaagh-waaagh!

Head over to the Orks forum and get a preview of Codex: Orks Rewrite!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
Hello Ghazy my old friend
I've come to drink with you again
Because the codex is still creeping
Left a steaming pile which is dripping
But the vision that was planted in my brain
still remains
within the green of skin

Unfortunately I fear that the last attempt at fixing the codex has already been done, and the big wigs are shoving us back to the classic release schedule of a new Codex every 7-9 years. 

I mean it was nice that they released a 'new' Ghaz supplement, but it was pretty much the old one with an overpriced and underpowered Decurion, and they took out the 1 Formation that was of any real use.  They also gave us a new Flyer, which has a great look to it (despite missing any and all semblance of landing gear) but for what it's worth the Wazbomb has been pretty underwhelming in the few games I've playtested.

I still love my Orks, and its honestly all I want to play, but every time I try to play them the depression sets in.  They wrote the book so you fought the codex alongside your opponent, which not only saps all the fun, it makes my beloved hobby a "why bother".  And I'm personally angry with myself, my models, and the codex for feeling like that.

I don't know what exactly the 7th Ed book was written for, in hindsight I'd rather be playing with the 4th Ed book with a FAQ print out for HP, Death from the Skies for Flyers, Escalation if I ever wanted a Stompa, and a beat up WD for the Looted Wagon.  I actually find it really strange that my favorite datasheet for 7th Edition Orks is the Looted Wagon which isn't in the codex.  I think it points out that Jervis Johnson wasn't part of the design team since he made something for the Orks that was viable. (Of course that datasheet is the ONLY Ork thing that had an author's name attached to it in 7th, so there's that to consider.)

I know a lot of players both in person and online that have mentioned that it's two years old and I should shut up already with my opinions on the Codex.  To that point I myself must admit that I'm getting sick of Chaos players mentioning their codex creep since they can still be considerably more competitive then the cheesiest Unbound Ork army (which coincidentally lacks any infantry save for Grot Artillery crews).

For a forum to exist you need two things.  A place for the voices to be heard, and people excited by the topic to speak.  We have the place, but nothing to spark the conversation.

I know that sometime in the near future GW will be releasing the Snapfit Orks for their attempt at the Toyz R Us market, which will garner some new Greenskin players, but in my crazy opinion they'd sell more if they gave Orks a worthwhile rules set.

And all the boyz bowed and prayed
For a good codex to be made
But GW flashed a warning
in the signs that was forming
And the sign said a new codex
is not on the horizon walls
or Ork hut walls
echoing the sounds of sadness.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:53:39 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »
If it makes you Ork players feel any better, the codex can still be heavily tweaked to perform well in a competitive environment.  I had a tournament on Saturday which was billed as being highly competitive, so you saw some truly disgusting lists (3x 3 Knight players, Ravenwing & Space wolves, Monster mash Tau w/ Eldar allies, etc).  The player that won Best General and had the best battle record short of the guy who won overall was an Ork player.  I don't know his exact list, but he was able to kill 3 Renegade Knights in 2 turns of shooting.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
Forums in general are dying out a bit, this is just loose talk but we could consider a Facebook group.  Just remember: I'm always watching youA-l-w-a-y-s

The entire game would be better if players just agreed to use older Codexes, the new Eldar book is like a sick joke.

You could always play with armies that were outdated long before they were released, like Dark Eldar and Sisters Of Battle!
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:01:58 PM »
You could always play with armies that were outdated long before they were released, like Dark Eldar and Sisters Of Battle!
Or play an army that was outdated as soon as it was released, like Orks.

Oh... wait...  ;D
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »
Just remember: I'm always watching youA-l-w-a-y-s
That is truly terrifying video Peanut.  I'm like super uncomfortable now, feeling like you've watched me in the bathroom.

Or play an army that was outdated as soon as it was released, like Orks.
To me if the 7th Ed codex had been released in 5th or 6th the reaction would have been exactly the same, unlike DE which was invalidated by Hull Points, or at least my ability to play them was null and void when 6th brought the HP.

But I don't mean to complain.  I seem to only complain and talk about the 'Glory days' of the 4th Ed codex.  I think I need a 12 step program to overcome my Ork anguish.

The player that won Best General and had the best battle record short of the guy who won overall was an Ork player.  I don't know his exact list, but he was able to kill 3 Renegade Knights in 2 turns of shooting.
Kudos to that dude, he earned some serious accolades, especially since I can't even calculate how exactly he would have been able to pull that off without using Unbound craziness for 9+ units of Tankbustas, Lootas, and Smashaguns... oh I think I may have figured it out inadvertently there.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:25:33 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 12:26:35 AM »
What's the largest amount of tankbustas  you can fit in a legal list?  Because he had that many hiding behind a void shield generator.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
Depends how many CADs he was playing with. Tankbustas are elites, while lootas are heavy, so using the normal BRB FOC he could have three of each per CAD he took. Add in a whole wack of deffkoptas (double digits allowed in a single CAD) and I could see some viability in that list.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
I have a feeling he was using two CADs then, because I want to say that he had somewhere in the region of 50 Tankbustas.

Just pulled it up in ArmyBuilder, and that is starting to make sense.  50 Tankbustas in Trukks is only 800pts, so that is definitely what he did.

Being in Trukks was actually very beneficial for him, otherwise the large blast weapons from the Knights would have been able to snag multiple hits and take down the void shield much more quickly.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
Wow...just wow...

Times are tough, for sure...our codex sucks, our forces are laughed at by the opposition, our figures need some revamping (as does the game in general), but come on guys...all cyber creepiness aside, are we collectively rolling over and flashing our soft green underbellies? (white underbellies are a humie thing...)  I've done really very little with the game or the minis for months, honestly, I've painted ONE figure for a buddy, last month...Yes forums are not as vibrant as they used to be, but honestly, what is?  I've always enjoyed this forum; if for nothing else but a place to vent and blow off steam when it comes to our armies.  I guess what I'm sayin is simply this:  Boyz, it's time to pick yourselves up off the floor, couch, whatever, dust yerself off, quit moaning about the good old days in you favorite mug of ligquid refreshment and get stuck back innit...We're better than "Boo Hoo...my codex sucks..."

Maybe I'm out of line here, I dunno.  I'd hate to see this fade quietly into that good night...my 2 teef..
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »
I keep trying to get this guy I know to play orks. He says he wants to, but it's been radio silence for a while.

I'd ask him to swing by here, but if I do, you guys got to pretend like everything is super awesome for the Orks, okay? It'll be like a sitcom episode, where you guys keep putting on a brave face while GML and OD from TV keep hiding the wreckage of the orks former glory and sweeping dead models under the couch and such.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »
I still say that the best part to sell someone on Orks is the kustom work you can do.  A Marine army is going to look like a Marine army with very little changes.  On the flip side, I have never seen an identical ork army.

Ever.

No Ork player is ever satisfied with the standard configuration they get out of the box, it seems.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 11:08:36 PM »
Whoa now, there's plenty of things you may do with Marines, Grand Master Glass Half Empty.

However, you are correct about Orks being an individual delight unlike the majority of other armies.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »
I've got my last chaos game planned in a week and then the ork machine will be back up and running. The project board will be buzzing with some new dreads, kans, and koptas very soon.

Wyddr bring your buddy over and we are sure to take him under our proverbial wing.

I truly don't think our codex is as bad as everyone makes out. What is makes us is the under dog, the unexpected. Every player that sees a power list on the opposing side they have some idea on how to counter it, as that is what is plastered all over the net. Sure they get extra formation bonus rules and free units over and above what the orks can have, but ork cunnin and tactiks count for a lot, especially when your opponent was not expecting on facing what we can bring to the table. GMLs example of the 50 tankbustas is a prime example. When was the last time you saw a horde army on the board? Everyone is bringing plasma this and melta that. Lately its been about bringing some of your highest powered units to counter your opponents and these units are expensive. My favourite comment at the start of a game from my opponent is "I don't have enough to kill all that."  :)

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
Yo dog (ya know...I've always wanted to say that...trying to extablish my Urban Cred, Check)
Anyway, I have always been a proponent of the "horde approach" to the army.  I only have 3 vehicles, a battlewagon, 2 buggies; so, everyone cruises on the old LPC (leather personnel carrier).  I don't care how many lascannons, multimeltas, plasma cannons you have, you can only take out so many of 4 units of 30 boyz before I swamp ya..ok, now I feel better.

GML - the fact that we can steal...er...loot almost anything, is the very reason that I got into orks in the first place; kit bashing and looting!  Nothing has been cooler than taking a broken model from an opponent after he's thrown it across the room and refurbishing it into your latest ork ride!

I dig 'em and they're lots of fun, but we've been a bit low as of late.  I'm sure we'll bounce back...phases of the moon and all that...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »
I too like the kustomization of orks. You can have almost anything "count as" anything. Too cool most of the time.

I do run an ork hoard I call the red tide: Nine trukks of 12 boys (ok, 12 are nobs) is 108 orks. That is a green tide in red trucks  8)

As for the looting, most of my vehicles (besides the trukks) are kustom. Makes the orks very not uniform. Maybe that is why GW hates the orks as they can't figure out how to bring the orks into lockstep.. ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak