News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sean Connery  (Read 960 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Sean Connery
« on: November 1, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
I was never a fan of his politics and nor do I condone his behaviour towards his first wife.  Nevertheless, he was the first James Bond who I ever saw and I have seen many of his other film performances as well, so I thought it was appropriate to mark his death.  His obituary is an interesting read: sign-in.  Having survived attempted killings by SPECTRE across three decades, it was, in the end, simply age catching up with him.  As Donald Pleasance famously said in You Only Live Twice, 'goodbye Mr. Bond', albeit this time the context is very different.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Sean Connery
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
He was an incredible performer and an indelible presence in any film he was in, no matter how bad. Regardless of whether he was a nice guy or not (all signs point to him being an ass), it's hard to deny his talent or influence. I'll remember him first as James Bond, but also as Professor Henry Jones Sr and Juan Sanchez-Villalobos Ramirez.

Online Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »
Beyond the oblivious I’ll always remember him as Jim Malone.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
Another role that I remember him well for was as the submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October.  He certainly did bring presence and charisma to all his roles and his acting was of a very high standard.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
Another role that I remember him well for was as the submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October.  He certainly did bring presence and charisma to all his roles and his acting was of a very high standard.
The only man who could convincingly play a Soviet submarine commander with a heavy Scottish accent!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »
It was quite the international crew on that secret Russian boomer.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »
The only man who could convincingly play a Soviet submarine commander with a heavy Scottish accent!

His Scottish accent also managed to be convincing for Spanish and Italian characters too :D.  He was certainly very versatile in this respect.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2020, 07:41:02 PM »
I always joked about Sean Connery always playing Sean Connery in whatever role he had. But that wasn't really an insult, because "Sean Connery" as a screen presence, was cool as hell.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
I always joked about Sean Connery always playing Sean Connery in whatever role he had. But that wasn't really an insult, because "Sean Connery" as a screen presence, was cool as hell.

I think that's what was great about him.  He was always Sean Connery playing Sean Connery; whereas you will get other people like Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise playing X character.

If you were going to jump into your typecast and own it, no one did it as well as Connery lol.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...