News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Questions on base rules  (Read 806 times)

Offline TheGreatElder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Questions on base rules
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:31:28 PM »
Hi, I am new to the game and i have few questions regarding Base rules of 8th edition.

1. The rules say that i can shoot to all units as soon as I see at least a part of one model. But what is part? Lets say i see just the tip of a model sword who is behind a tree. I can fire to the entire squad?

2. A cryptek model say: friendly units within 3" of this units... this mean that i need to have ALL the unit models inside 3" to receive the power effect, or one only model? Or it mean that only the models inside 3£ get the power? Some powers speak clearly of models, some other only say units. so, what is the difference?

3. Necron monolith is armed with 4 flux cannons... every flux ark is heavy 3. So i can fire 3x4 = 12 times every turn and i can also use the particle whip? All in the same shooting phase?

Thanks in advance.

Bye

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Questions on base rules
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:32:59 PM »
Hi, I am new to the game and i have few questions regarding Base rules of 8th edition.

1. The rules say that i can shoot to all units as soon as I see at least a part of one model. But what is part? Lets say i see just the tip of a model sword who is behind a tree. I can fire to the entire squad?
That is correct.

2. A cryptek model say: friendly units within 3" of this units... this mean that i need to have ALL the unit models inside 3" to receive the power effect, or one only model? Or it mean that only the models inside 3£ get the power? Some powers speak clearly of models, some other only say units. so, what is the difference?
Most powers, or Auras, say either within or wholly within x number of inches. This can be models or units.

If it is a unit, any part of that unit has to be within range for the whole unit to gain the effect. This can sometimes lead to squads conga lining back to pick up a buff. Also not, if the range is 3", the edge of a model being 2.9 inches away will still give the entire unit the buff.

If it says "wholly within" then all of the model/unit must be within the entire range to gain the buff

3. Necron monolith is armed with 4 flux cannons... every flux ark is heavy 3. So i can fire 3x4 = 12 times every turn and i can also use the particle whip? All in the same shooting phase?
That is correct. Also, each gun may fire at a different target or the same Facing, and firing arcs are not a thing in 8th ed. So, if you have your flux cannon facing away from the enemy squad, you can still shoot them with it.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.