News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 117537 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good
« on: June 4, 2018, 07:25:48 PM »
ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Most of the images in this thread no longer display correctly due to a change in the forum!

You can still load each blank image if you click on them!

I will be changing the image format so that they will display correct from now on - beginning somewhere on page 20 - if you have the standard page count (or long, can't remember which one I'm on lol)

So it begins... with the dabbing of an ink feather upon the page of a dusted tome. You are the meek ones that wonder and observe, purposed with an undying task of cataloging the ambitions of high-minded societies, enigmatic horrors, and brutish and rampaging hordes... So shall we begin?

Welcome, everyone from all corners of the world to my Project Log. All visitors, from the humble beginner to the seasoned veterans of the forum, I hope you guys enjoy your stay and like the content you should see coming in the near future! After a number of requests to try my hand in 40konline's storied Project Logs (granted, those requests were a couple months ago :P), I decided that I would surprise everyone and actually start one! I have given over to peer pressure ;D!

So... I've long been contemplating what my first project would actually be and what I intended for it. I tossed around the idea of starting with 40000 for one year, then moving onto Age of Sigmar, or vice-versa, or a combination of both.

You can see from the thread subject that the Idoneth Deepkin stole away the other factions' envoys into the depths of the great oceans. So, let's summarize:

PROJECT I:
Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
Conclave: Mor'Phann
Army Composition: Balanced, all-comers list. (Nope, decided against the all-cavalry force, but maybe one day!!!)

Current Status: I don't have anything painted at the moment, as the Chronicle is only just beginning... But!! I thought I'd show some pictures of me gathering my army and building the models, and acquiring supplies! Rest assured, I'll have everything I need to begin probably sometime next week!

So here is the Wave of my Idoneth, plus a small band of Ironjawz!

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

EDIT: Sorry, having trouble with the pictures!
« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 09:50:45 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Welcome to the Projects MyenTal!

I'm stoked that you've decided to work on Idoneth Deepkin, because it's part of the reason why my Plog has been quiet for the past few weeks...the models are terrific and I'm sure you'll enjoy painting them. That said, one or two of the fits for the Eel riders is a little bit taxing, while the flying bases will likely have you swearing until you're blue in the face.

Best of luck bud, I'm looking forward to following this with great interest.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks, Loosh :D!

I didn't realize you were also working on Idoneth, that's awesome! Cannot wait to see them in your log! Hmm, surprised that the Eel riders are a little difficult to work with, they seemed simple from the screenshots I've seen. Guess I'll find that out in a little bit. Another reason that I should get those citadel tweezers!

I'm also really looking forward to this project, as I've anticipated doing it for what seems like forever now ;D.

EDIT: After assembling a pair of the Akhelian Guard, I can confirm that some areas of the model are pretty finicky! Kind of glad I'm not doing that all cavalry force now ;D.

Finished building my first unit of Akhelian Guard. Not the simplest models to assemble, but it felt good to complete the models!

Added some unit images below. Please tell me how the lighting is, if the light is bright, then I'll adjust and tone it down. Also how does one name image links again?

« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 12:02:47 AM by MyenTal »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
EDIT: After assembling a pair of the Akhelian Guard, I can confirm that some areas of the model are pretty finicky! Kind of glad I'm not doing that all cavalry force now ;D.

Finished building my first unit of Akhelian Guard. Not the simplest models to assemble, but it felt good to complete the models!

They look great MyenTal. They are tricky to work with. Most things fall into place really nicely, but I've really struggled on a couple getting the rider seated and the reins to line up. Part of the problem of painting in subsections and then building I guess.

Just don't talk to me about the reins on the Akhelian King. I may well end up snipping them off entirely!

Added some unit images below. Please tell me how the lighting is, if the light is bright, then I'll adjust and tone it down. Also how does one name image links again?

I'd say that the light is just from the wrong direction at the moment. With the light source behind the models, a lot of the detail gets lost. The images are nice and sharp, but parts are underexposed. Move the light around, or better, have multiple sources of light, to find the best results. Can't help with the image links I'm afraid...I'm a Flikr man!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing some paint on these guys. The Deepkin are beyond awesome models... and the Eel Riders are the coolest dudes of them all. I cant wait to some of their bits are available on ebay. I've got some kitbash ideas for my Eldar.

Thanks for joining the paint squad Myental glad to have you aboard! Great updates so far. Cant wait for more
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
For imgur, on a mobile phone, press and hold on the image, an option will come up, select share image link. Copy it to your clipboard. Then when your typing your post put in square brackets IMG followed by /IMG in square brackets with your link pasted in between.

Sweet models by the way. Really psyched on following this project.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 07:26:56 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks for all of the encouragements and advice guys. Before I get started next week, I do have an important question that will impact my paint process for my Mor'phann. So for the Akhelian Skintone, I was planning on priming them white, then layering with Flayed One Flesh, followed with a highlight of Wych flesh. The scheme I'm going for with the eels however, would be best primed with Mehanicus Standard Grey. Do you guys think I could still achieve a fair look to the skin if I based first with the new Ionrach Skin, then layering on the Flayed One Flesh?

EDIT: Another model built, this time the Akhelian King. Which I made some modeling mistakes on, with me using the normal king torso instead of Volturnous' XP. Oh well, I still like him well enough! ;)

Akhelian King
Akhelian King 2nd Image
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 10:15:39 PM by MyenTal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
I really want these models too, but just can't afford them right now. As for the question at hand, I use white primer for all brightly colored models and black for dark. I haven't used grey primer on models in years, only on my hotrods. Water based craft paints work differently for me, I prefer black primer and layer darker to lighter shades to acheive brighter colors. Hope this helps.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks for the information, Dread, that should really help me out :)! I definitely agree that Idoneth aren't the cheapest army to start. I thought I could purchase everything I needed to start painting by next week, but after calculating the cost, I'm going to have to choose between Paint/Supplies and new models XP. I think I'm going to buy all of my Namarti units tomorrow... we'll see how it goes.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Quick update: The Akhelians answer the summons of the Enclave! Rumors abound that the final kinband to arrive from the moonlit shores of Gloom Haven has failed to arrive due to some inconceivably minor slight (Haven't gotten around to them!) Akehlian King Annith-hain the Scarred, rides on without them, knowing that his erstwhile and eager cousins shall not be able to resist a heroic intervention from the shadows at the last possible moment (They're on their way!)

Akhelians ride into battle!

Ishlaen Lochian Prince

Mustering of House Gloom Haven under King Annith'hain

Kinband of the Glimmer Shoal

Beneath the depths of the great Void Rift Sea, an eerie chant echoes from within the Great Mor'phann enclave of Ebonspire. From labyrinthine Palaces of moon-touched quicksilver and volcanic obsidian, great schools of the Akhelian Warriors swarm through the great rift toward the surface. A legion of countless thousands of namarti slaves cut through the frozen depths with their High Born masters, the sweep of their weapons through razor-finned schools synced with the rhythmic pulse of the war drums. Beneath the heart of the Gloom Haven Phalanx, perhaps something even more ancient than the great city itself stirs upon the ocean floor.

Army Name:

Gloom Haven Sentinels

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
 - Enclave: Mor'Phann

LEADERS
Vulturnos, High King of the Deep (King Annith'hain the Scarred One)
- General

Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers (Aryriel, the Ancestral Keeper)

Isharann Soulrender (Ithiryn Void-Caller)

Isharann Soulscryer (Atannis the Radiant One)

UNITS
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (The Shadow-Shoal Reavers)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (Sentinels of the Mor'khaine Temple)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (Scions of Mathlann)
20 x Namarti Thralls (The Oathbound)
20 x Namarti Thralls (The Silent Vigil)
10 x Namarti Reavers (The Bleak Watchers)
10 x Namarti Reavers (The Black-Bane Kindred)

BATTALIONS
Namarti Corps

NOTE: You might be seeing another Akheian King become the new Annith'hain, as I made some mistakes with the first model, because I decided to just go by eyesight instead of reading the directions :P.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Looking good man. Love the little descriptions too, really well written. Just saw the Deepkin in person for the first time yesterday and just loved the models. Also too bad about not following the instructions. Doing commission painting for a living I can tell you... I have to follow instructions on even the simplest minis as there are so many weird little bits these days. That being said the instructions are very easy to follow. Anyway looking forward to seeing some paint on these guys! Looking good!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
@Cavalier: Hey thanks man, I'm stoked that you like what I've built so far! The models are truly amazing, you won't regret getting some of those Idoneth bits ;D! Cannot wait to see what you do with them. I'm not sure when I'll start painting, but the plan is to begin in the next couple of weeks or so, but it just depends on a couple of factors. Glad you like the backstory I'm weaving into the army. Might add some more when I actually get them on the table! :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Awesome :) massive fan of the fluff snippets. Can't wait for some painted dudes to go alongside them ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Awesome :) massive fan of the fluff snippets. Can't wait for some painted dudes to go alongside them ;)

Thanks, Ynnead, that means a lot! ;D

An ill wind stirs from the granite maw of the Abyssal Pit, a bleak squall that reeks of the earthy scent of death and decay. The Deathless God's ire piques with untamed rage, and the ominous wind that flutters through the ocean depths becomes a vicious squall that shreds flesh from bone. As the Grand Halls of Ebonspire endure the unnatural storm, a legion of Gheists and forlorn, lost spirits surge upon the undersea currents in an effort to drown the Idoneth Deepkin beneath an endless tide of the enslaved and the tortured.

As Ebonspire withstands legions beyond count, Annith'hain commands the Gloom Haven Host to establish a beachhead upon the shores of Shyish. It was upon the Shore of Old Incanth that Annith'hain pledged his friendship and honor-pact with Lord Arcanum Tibalt Von Saarland of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer Sancrosanct Chamber, creating the Ebon Pact Alliance... but as Sigmar Heldenhammer extends aid with one hand, the other shall soon bring down the hammerstrike of vengeance.

A vengeance often heralded with a storm that gleams both polished gold and oceanic blue...

(TLDR: Soul Wars is coming! Anvils of the Heldenhammer for the Stormcasts, not sure about the Nighthaunt yet as I haven't seen their background. Hammers of Sigmar take up arms against Specter and soul-stealer!)

The Kinband Assembled!!!

Morsarr Guard Pic 1

Morsarr Guard Pic 2
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:32:40 AM by MyenTal »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Looking good man! Any thought to painting up a few so you dont have too big a mountain of stuff to paint before you are done assembling?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Looking good man! Any thought to painting up a few so you dont have too big a mountain of stuff to paint before you are done assembling?

Funny you mention that, Cav! I may have jumped the gun a little, but I'm rethinking my strategy on Soul Wars. I'll postpone the new Starter Set and just get the books and stuff, and put that money towards some paint and supplies instead. You're right, that's too many minis to paint! ;D, Hopefully, I'll be able to start actually painting sometime this weekend. Fingers crossed!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Cracking progress MyenTal.

I echo Cav though...get some paint on some of these bad boys. They have stacks of details to paint and I wouldn't want to see you get burnt out because you have too much bare plastic to paint!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Quick Update:

So the Akhelian Guard are almost ready for some painting sessions (Almost, I think I'm going to increase my Ishlaen Guard to six models). I've received orders for most of my miscellaneous supplies a couple days ago, but now I am just waiting on the Paints and Brushes to ship out from the Warstore (Along with the Citadel Paint Handle!). Not sure when it's going to ship because I ordered a *lot* of supplies that I'll need to tackle my entire Idoneth Army.

You can bet that I'll keep you guys updated as things progress. Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about the project ;D!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Small updates here!

Some new editions to the Enclave... and some primer prep underway

Also more paint prep... test run for paint pre-thinning and transfer over to dropper bottles.

Gloom Wood Sentinels List:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
 - Enclave: Mor'Phann
LEADERS:
Isharann Soulrender (Myrmidon the Evening Star)
- General
- Command Trait : Born From Agony
- Artefact : Terrornight Venom

Isharann Tidecaster (Selena the Abyssal Traveler)
- Artefact : Lliandra's Last Lament
- Lore of the Deeps : Freezing Mists

Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers (Attanis the Radiant One)

UNITS
30 x Namarti Thralls (The Silent Vigil)
30 x Namarti Thralls (The Oathbound)
10 x Namarti Reavers (The Bleak Watchers)
10 x Namarti Reavers (The Black-Bane Kindred)
6 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (Sentinels of the Mor'khaine Temple)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (Shadow-Shoal Reavers)

BATTALIONS
Namarti Corps

2000/2000
« Last Edit: July 1, 2018, 07:33:45 AM by MyenTal »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
So it begins

Painting begins this weekend, can't think of any other way to spend a long weekend ;D.