News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Adeptus Arbites list.  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Adeptus Arbites list.
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
Hi, I wondered if anyone on here actually plays an Arbites list of any description?
I often used a squad of them with my Space Marines back in 2nd edition and am looking at making an army for 4th using the current Witch Hunters codex.

I'm planning to use the inquisitorial storm troopers/arbites units as squads in rhinos with some Guard inducted to represent PDF.
I'll take an Inquisitor Lord to represent a Judge with a retinue. I figure the Necromunda Enforcers with power mauls/shields can work as Crusaders. I'm thinking about how else to represent the retinue; maybe Arbites data-officers as sages etc.
Enforcer heavies will have to be converted to carry heavy bolters to represent gun servitors; but I think I'm limited to the number of Warrior retainers in a retinue and gun servitors and Crusaders come from the same pool. So the Judges retinue will be small and not very combat orientated.

Cyber hounds come with the Enforcer patrol too. I first thought they could be familiars in the retinue; makes sense for the Judge to have some faithful hounds with him. Another idea is to use Sister Repentia rules for a pack of cyber-hounds with an Arbiter as the Mistress.

So, any body else tried a similar army or does anybody have any ideas I can use?

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
Re: Adeptus Arbites list.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:45:50 AM »
Check the Inquisition thread and look for tarrin. You should pm him. He´s fielding an Arbites army based on the WH codex (I believe). You might also check this link as well for starters:

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=122354.0

Have fun
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:20:46 AM »
Ah great stuff, thanks! I had a look through the inquisition thread and managed to miss that.
Cheers for the pointer.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »
Don't forget that Inquisitors (not Lords - standard Inquisitors) can field 6-man retinues as well.

I am working on building an Arbites WH List using:

HQ
Arbites Judge (Inq Lord - retinue as Bailiffs, Arbites Technicians, Arbites Medics, etc)
Arbites Wardens (For Penal Legion - using Priests w/ Carapace & Shotguns)

ELITES
Arbites Suppression Teams (Inquisitor w/ Power Weapon & Rosarius, 3 Crusaders, Acolytes w/ Mancatchers as Cyber-Mastiffs)
Arbites Executioner Teams (Inquisitor w/ Storm Bolter & Auspex, 3 Gun Servitors w/ Heavy Bolters or Multi-Meltas, Acolytes w/ Storm Bolters & Carapace Armour)

TROOPS
Arbites Patrol Teams (Inq ST's w/ Shotties in Rhinos as you said)
Penal Legion (Inducted Guard Infantry Platoon -  Command squad are all vets w/ Carapace as Headwarden Team)

FAST ATTACK
Arbites Sentinels (Inducted Guard Sentinel Squadron)
Arbites Rapid Pursuit Team (Inducted Guard Rough Riders w/ Shotguns)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Arbites Leman Russ (Inducted Guard -  supported by a novel which I cannot remember the name of right now...)

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:15:35 AM »
Don´t forget. You must fill up the standards with two units from the WH / DH codex (i.e. IST) before you´re allowed to take inducted IG. And you must have two inducted IG (troops) before you may take fast assault or support units. Anything else would be illegal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:33:10 AM by tryanotherone »

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 05:32:52 AM »
Just stumbled onto a themed army you´re looking for. Check these links:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32915

and

http://www.geocities.com/haleccles/CGPfront.html

Might give you some ideas.

P.S. To the modes. I know I should have modified my other post, however, I wasn´t sure if had read it already and missed the added info. Thanks for your understanding.

Have fun. :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:34:35 AM by tryanotherone »

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 06:02:04 AM »
Hmm I'm not sure whether you should go WH or Scout army, they both have advantages. Does anyone know what the warseer guy used for the heads of his Terminator equivelants?

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:18:54 AM »
Don´t forget. You must fill up the standards with two units from the WH / DH codex (i.e. IST) before you´re allowed to take inducted IG. And you must have two inducted IG (troops) before you may take fast assault or support units. Anything else would be illegal.

Yeah, I know. It wasn't an army list as far as being exactly what I'll be fielding, as much as a list I will use to choose my forces.  :)

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:21:20 AM »
Does anyone know what the warseer guy used for the heads of his Terminator equivelants?

Nope, sorry. Perhaps you ought to ask in the conversions board. Maybe one of the mechanics knows.

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
Hmm, nice ideas there Ambience. :)

I was thinking of using the Elites Inquisitor as a 'Detective' style Arbites. Hard-bitten copper with long coat and two pistols sort of thing. :D
I do like the idea of using the Inquisitor and retinue as Executioner/suppression teams, I may have to have one of each...
Not a fan of Penal Legions; I don't see the Arbites as having that many prisoners. Tend to dispense 'justice' on the streets. Haha!
I'll be using inducted Guard as Planetry Defence Force; makes more sense to me that in crisis situations the Arbites declare Martial Law and take control of the PDF.
I really like the idea of mounted rough rider Arbites. Almost like mounties... Tough conversions to do though.

@Tryanotherone; thanks for the links! :D Busy perusing them now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:02:23 PM by Lorizael »

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »
It probably would be an issue. I can't really see anything that would work though, I don't think they'd look right on horses or motorbikes for that matter. I'd have to agree about the penal legion though.

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 01:13:12 PM »
I can see them on motorbikes rather than horses. Not as hard a conversion as on a horse I think. We'll see, I'll have to play around with some models at some point.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 03:38:57 PM »
I don't think it would be too tough of a conversion. For bikers, you could use Scout Bikes, including the driver's legs and then add Arbites/Enforcer models from the waist up. (Or just use the scouts w/ head swaps).

As for doing them on horses - same concept, except below the waist they could be Warhammer knight models for that armoured look. I think the Empire has suitable models in the range.

I picture mine simply as Shotgun toting light cavalry "mounties". Might even incorporate some extra red into their armour...  :)

Offline matus

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 10:02:33 AM »
I may have just registered on a forum to post on a thread thats not been used in a year and eight months I've been thinking about this myself (quite unaware it'd ever crossed anyone elses mind)

SOme of the posters in these threads have had some genius ideas to cram all sorts of extra units into an arbites force, but to be honest they're not quite how I envisioned it. The way I always looked at Arbites is hat they couldn't and really shouldn't be made into  balanced army that stood a chance against a proper field army. They are after all only a smaller scale organization to be used to suppress rebellion and rioting. I thought they would be best used in small 'combat patrol games' and games with a heavy narrative where their enemies forces were prescribed specifically to give them a chance.

My plans were only to use units that are games workshop cannon for arbites/enforcers. If my background knowledge is right (and as I neither played in the 80's nor have read all the BL books, it could be well out) the only units Arbites have even been given is patrolmen squads, cybermstifs, judges as leaders and mounted in repressors (the IA2 book that introduces repressors states that the sisters of battle adopted them after working with the arbites).

A 'legal' army could thus quite easily be made with very little 'counts as'. As Khemri noted in another thread the WH Stormtrooper is also intended for use as arbites. Repressors are intended as a FW addition to the WH list so fielding them would be fine. Some small proxying would then be necessary to have Arbite Judges count as the two ranks of inquisitor (with a retinue of more arbites as stormtroopers are an option) and something to represent the mastiffs, possibly archo flagellants. If there has been mention of Arbites using a Leman Russ in a novel as Ambience suggests, then that could easily be used as inducted guard.

Before I'd read this thread I was also considering inducted conscripts as penal legion troops (I know there is a penal legion entry in the IG book, but I always figured that would represent courtmarshelled military type with training and experience, not the hive gangers and street scum that would be in the arbites gaols). However as some people have pointed out, using prisoners as soldiers may not be that much in character and not many criminals would be lucky enough to end up as prisoners (and I'm not sure would be legal without a guard platoon first).

This whole lot could be represented by a load of necromnda enforcer box sets and some forgeworld purchases, and if you could get some old arbites minis off ebay to add some variety and provide the HQ units all the better.

Now I know this would give one a very limited army, with few choices and almost no ability to face heavy infantry or enemy armor, to me this would seem in character. They should be fighting small scale skirmishes in the streets and fighting chaos cultists, rogue governors palace guards and genestealer cults etc. If some sort of invasion, daemon incursion or major military rebellion occurred the arbites, if I understand the fluff correctly, would have to defer to the planetary defense forces or IG garrisons (and could be nicely represented as allies to a Codex: IG army). If they did end up facing those on their own (as they do in a number of books) they would almost certainly, after putting up a stiff fight, die (as they do in the books).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:08:38 AM by matus »

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »
Matus

it is in no way a limited army. i have been very successful with my arbites without giving them silly weapons or losing the feel. Several players on here have done so. Never underestimate massed shotgun fire and grenade launchers.

The fluff states that they are better equipped than a pdf, but not as good as marines. Remember they are the first line of defence in rebellions etc.

check out for my thoughts, a lists and few writeups.

http://splan.wildwinter.net

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.