News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking for 40k Lore Experts. I need your Insights  (Read 898 times)

Offline realizedworlds

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Looking for 40k Lore Experts. I need your Insights
« on: October 21, 2020, 03:07:01 AM »
Hello, everyone.

I have created a free tool at Realized Worlds that allows people to create insights about aspects of 40k lore. It also allows people to respond to insights. The idea is to move beyond what we have with forums or even reddit. It asks people to reference sources where key information is found so that these can be linked. I am looking for people to start using it so that I can test it. I posted an insight, if anyone wants to check it out. Feel free to respond, if you want.

Here is the first insight I added in the tool to get things started Realized Worlds

While waiting for assassins at the end of his life, Konrad Curze (in his insanity) raves at a corpse, as if it were his father. In this, we see his perspective that he believes his father to be evil for telling "a lie of golden futures" (60) to humanity. This, of course, is the lie that no supernatural powers existed, that all of monsters of the warp were not real. He then claims to know that his father knew Horus and the traitor Primarchs would betray him, suggesting that the Horus Heresy and all that follows is part of some grand plan. This is critical because it speaks to a core mystery of the 40k universe: is the Emperor a deluded, but powerful human who succumbed to his own hubris and failed, or is he working a long-game through some grand plan, which would allow for the suffering of humanity in its battles with the demons of the Warp. I am interested in seeing other passages that reference the Emperor as a failure or one that sees him as still potentially victorious.

(If you think you can respond to this particular insight about Curze, or want to create one of your own, please do so in my tool, rather than here.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:20:07 AM by realizedworlds »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Looking for 40k Lore Experts. I need your Insights
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:12:58 AM »
If this generates interactive discussion on this forum, I will allow this topic to continue, but if it is nothing more than an advert to promote your site, it will be removed in accordance with forum rule 6.  I note that you have posted the same topic on other forums, so my guess is that it is an unauthorised advert, but you are welcome to prove me wrong by participating fully in this forum :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
What makes this any different than lexicanum? lexicanum, is an already established resource for Warhammer Lore, and uses sources for it's information.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
(If you think you can respond to this particular insight about Curze, or want to create one of your own, please do so in my tool, rather than here.)

I am probably wasting my time as based on the above I would guess Iris is right and you aren't going to engage on this forum.

Am I right in thinking that when you say 'insights' what you actually mean is 'opinions'. That is, you are asking for people's ideas based on something factual that they have read elsewhere?

Also I am confused by your insight as it does not reference any source material. This means I do not know if what you have posted is factual, or just your opinion.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline realizedworlds

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:27:01 AM »
Irisado
I am sorry if I broke any rules. My tool is not a paid site. It is simply a tool for 40k fans to create commentary. I am a university professor and literary scholar. I don't spend much time on internet forums. So, again, if this breaks any rules, it was unintentional. The creation of this tool, and its use, has been created to better understand the complexities of 40k.

Killersquid
This is different because it is more of a concordance than an encyclopedia. It asks for commentary on topics that point to sources and, if possible, page numbers. You could then run a search for, say, the 'missing primarchs' and get a list of all sources that reference it. Lexicanum is great, and I use it extensively. But have you ever sat back and just wanted to know how often a topic was mentioned in the written history of 40k? That is what my tool is designed to do.

Alienscar
Yes, an insight is an opinion, but an informed opinion. It goes a bit deeper. And in this particular context it is grounded in some sort of textual reference.

Also, I have asked my web guy to change the site to not require a log in to view the content. And I have edited the homepage to clarify what it is (it should go live in today or tomorrow):

What is this tool?

This tool is an example of how methods in the digital humanities help in understanding the complexities with shared imaginary worlds. It focuses on Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 because its ‘lore’ is a challenge for both newcomers to the setting, as well as those already interested in it. To use this tool, please feel free to add content by focusing on an event within the lore, then add your ‘insight’ as to how best understand it. This should be more than simply an opinion. It should be a well-thought-out piece of information that adds significance to the event. Most critically please point to at least one published text (and add a page number, paragraph number, or ebook location).

My hopes are that certain key conversations will emerge as of interest and that as people add their insights, we will create a canvas of the most important texts that address these elements. Questions over the canon, or references that appear to contradict each other are welcome. But the intention is to find references that clarify the published record of a topic.

I will begin by offering the nature of the Emperor, his divinity, his origins, his fight with Horus, etc., as a starting point. Other conversations might begin by charting all the references to the two lost Primarchs and their legions. Have you ever wondered which published texts reference these Primarchs?  Or maybe we might discuss what happened to Dorn, or where Russ might be. The key here is to create a type of online concordance that points to published sources and, if possible, page numbers. 

As this tool develops, I will also add techniques for how to better articulate insights, as well as how to respond to the insights of others.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:09:31 AM by realizedworlds »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
It's not a bad tool for debates, if I understand it correctly.

Offline realizedworlds

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 11:14:59 PM »
Godspeed. Thanks, but it's less about debate and more about trying to provide understanding. Forums do debates exceedingly well. And online encylcopedias aggregate information well. I am trying to create a tool that will organize and collate 'debates' or conversations about specific lore. And then provide a way to easily see what sources relate to those topics.