News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blazinghand's Blue Craftworld Eldar  (Read 10128 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Blazinghand's Blue Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Simply stunning conversion work Blazinghand. Love the chosen pose as well. Seems a very 'take charge of the battlefield' look, as if he's saying "onwards brothers."

If you're finding he's a bit wobbly, try gluing a coin or a washer under the base. Always balanced out my orks when I've used oversized bits on them.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »
I feel like there is still some highlighting work to do and a lot of clean-up, but the Autarch is basically painted now, and ready for action on Saturday!

I think the wings add a lot. I'm glad I went for DE Scourge wings over Swooping Hawk wings.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:17 AM »
Niiiiice!
Your right, Blazinghand. Those wings are far more majestic than the Swooping Hawks. You've done an amazing job, mate. Fell proud.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
Scourge wings are great :) If I ever do Hawks, they would have those wings 100% (unless GW rescuplts them).

Good job!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
Nice! That is a sweet conversion Blazinghand. Those wings look so damn good. I really like the blade too... might have to give that a go on my Shining Spears exarch (I use the Avenger Glaive for spears). Love the base as well. Great stuff man keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Love the glaive dude :) that's a lovely conversion, and the use of crocadile clips to keep it straight would have saved me hoirs in re-positioning while stuff dries!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »
Thanks! The alligator clips thing has actually been a huge help for things like this. The glaive was unusually difficult, but I actually have somewhat unsteady hands. For painting and such it's not a problem since I can rest my wrist on something for painting, but holding two things together is pretty rough, even with relatively quick-drying super glue. It also has been helpful for holding onto bits by a small amount so I can paint them individually. I used the alligator clips to hold onto the wings when painting them.

So, I actually still have a bit of a sprint between today and the tournament I am playing in tomorrow. My list is:

Eldrad Ulthran
Autarch
Warlock

5 Dire Avengers, Exarch has 2 Catapults
5 Dire Avengers, Exarch has 2 Catapults
5 Rangers

5 Fire Dragons, Exarch has DB Flamer
5 Fire Dragons, Exarch has DB Flamer
5 D-Scythe Wraithguard
5 D-Scythe Wraithguard
8 Wraithcannon Wraithguard

4 Wave Serpents, each with 3 Shuriken Cannons

So, how close am I to done with this?

DONE: Autarch, Eldrad, Warlock, Rangers, Wraithcannon Wraithguard. In Eldrad's case, he has a grey undercoat, his cloak is painted blue, and his staff+armor are painted gold. Not really done, but perfectly legal

ALMOST DONE: D-Scythe Wraithguard, Fire Dragons. The D-Scythe Wraithguard all have their heads detached, but the heads are done. 5 of them need their guns to be painted (just a basecoat will be good enough). Fire Dragons are done except Exarch guns are unpainted.

NEEDS WORK: Dire Avengers, Wave Serpents. One squad of Dire Avengers is done and just need to be put on bases. The other squad has gotten its blue basecoat but still needs guns and plumes to be basecoated. Wave Serpents are all done-ish, but need the shieldbanes to be added. 2 of them need canopies to be added. I want to check all of their underslung guns to make sure they're fine as well, but in terms of painting they're good to go.

I think I can wrap up the D-Scythe Wraithguard and Fire Dragons in about half of an hour. The Dire Avengers and Wave Serpents will take more time. Tonight will be a sprint!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
Love that kitbash! Great posing and really good choice of bits, the Scourge wings look great!
Good luck on getting all that stuff completed and good luck in the tournament!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 04:35:47 AM »
It was a sprint, but I got everything up to tournament standard. I won't be winning any awards for best painted army, especially since some of my models were "based" onto bases of the correct size by simply gluing them, base and all, onto a larger base, but it's legal.

Let's see how it plays!

PS: here's an example of getting some old Wraithguard "rebased" to the new correct size quickly and easily:

...yeah. But I got the job done.

Also, their paint scheme is "spray grey primer, basecoat blue on the body leaving the gun grey, and paint a very light grey on the head" which is pretty unimpressive, heh.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:36:51 AM by Blazinghand »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:04 AM »
Niiiiice!
Blood will drain from a lot of faces when they see 4 Wave Serpents and three Wraithguard units. Congrats on making the deadline, mate. Best of luck with the tourney. Wave the 40K Online banner high and proud... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 06:08:53 AM »
I'm liking the creativity in getting stuff done ;) it's all stuff you can come back to later and patch up as well so all's good :)

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 06:29:10 AM »
I got back from the tournament. Here's the list I ran:

Blazinghand's List - Ulthwé
1996 pts, 1 Battalion, 1 Vanguard - 7 CP
+HQ+
Autarch on foot with Star Glaive, Relic: Faolchu's Wing, Warlord Trait: Fate Reader
Eldrad Ulthran
Warlock with Witchblade
+Troops+
5 Dire Avengers, 1 is Exarch with 2 Catapults
5 Dire Avengers, 1 is Exarch with 2 Catapults
5 Rangers
+Elites+
5 Fire Dragons, 1 is Exarch with DB Flamer
5 Fire Dragons, 1 is Exarch with DB Flamer
5 Wraithguard with D-Scythes
5 Wraithguard with D-Scythes
8 Wraithguard with Wraithcannons
+Dedicated Transport+
Wave Serpent with 3 Shuriken Cannons

A typical Deployment for me:
Each of the 4 Wave Serpents carry either 5 Scythe Wraithguard, or 5 Dragons + 5 Avengers
8 Wraithguard with Wraithcannons in Webway Strike Reserve
5 Rangers is Appear Unbidden Reserve

I played in all three rounds.

Game One

First game, I faced off against an Ultramarines player, Joe. His list was, (roughly):

Ultramarines
+HQ+
Captain (Chapter Master Upgrade)
Lieutenant
Chaplain in Terminator Armor
+Troops+
5 Space Marines, 1 has Lascannon
5 Space Marines, 1 has Heavy Bolter
+Elites+
5 Assault Terminators with a mixture of hammers and claws
5 Assault Terminators with a mixture of hammers and claws
+Transports+
Razorback with 2 Lascannons
Razorback with 2 Assault Cannons
Razorback with 2 Assault Cannons

We played ITC Mission 1. As Secondary Objectives, I selected Big Game Hunter, Recon, and Headhunter. My adversary selected Big Game Hunter, Headhunter, and one other Secondary that I forgot.

For deployment, I deployed my transports full of Aspect Warriors and Ghost Warriors, wth my Warlock riding along in one and my Autarch along with Eldrad in the open. Rangers and 8-strong Wraithguard unit in reserve. My opponent deployed a fort with his lascannon tac squad, captain+lieutenant in the back, a row of razorbacks, and infantry in front. He put his two flyers on one flank. Our deployment was the corners deployment 12 inches back from the diagonal.

Luckily for me, Joe's list was pretty similar to that of my friend Kingsley who I often play, in broad strokes. He had Razorbacks, characters to give them rerolls, space marine infantry with heavy weapons, stormtalons, and deep strikers–much like my usual opponent's list. Kingsley usually runs Plasma instead of Heavy Bolters, Devestators to get in more lascannons, some Dreadnoughts, and his deep-strikers are Imperial Guard rather than terminators, but the basics are the same. There's a castle of infantry and vehicles with a lot of firepower, and he'll drop some stuff on my head.

I basically moved everything forward, and dropped in my Wraithguard and Rangers aggressively from deep strike. I succeeded in smashing into Joe's stuff. 5 of my Fire Dragons and the 8 Wraithcannon Wraithguard chewed through his flyers and razorbacks pretty well. His Stormtalons never even got to move. The 10 D-Scythe Wraithguard drew a lot of fire but brought down (with the help of Shuriken support) most of his infantry.

He used his deep-strikers well, though. He brought in the Terminators and Chaplain behind me and popped a Wave Serpent in shooting. They were able to charge and surround and kill 5 Fire Dragons, 5 Dire Avengers, and Eldrad. Although Eldrad wasn't originally in the assault, a careful pile-in after the Aspect Warriors died meant that he couldn't escape. His Terminators and Chaplain weren't able to kill anything else, and I ended up picking off the Chaplain with some shooting when I caught him out of position as he raced ahead of the Terminators.

Overall, it was a tight match but I ended up winning since he didn't have a good answer for the Wraithguard. Assault cannons were ok, but his many Bolters and Heavy Bolters just couldn't do the heavy lifting needed, and his Lascannons had too many other things to shoot at.

Game One Result: Victory!

--

Game Two

In Game Two, I faced off against Trent's Raven Guard. His list was:

Detachment: Patrol of Cadians
Commissar
20 Conscripts
20 Conscripts

Detachment: Vanguard of Raven Guard
Captain
Lieutenant
Primaris Ancient with Standard of Emperor Ascendant
5-man Tartaros Terminator Squad - 1 Power Sword, 4 Power Fists, All Combi Bolters except 1 Reaper Autocannon
7-man Jump Pack Veteran Squad - 1 Thunderhammer, 1 Power Fist, 1 Power Sword, 4 Bolter/Chainsword
Venerable Dreadnought: 2 Twin Autocannons
Razorback with Twin Autocannons, Storm Bolter

Detachment: Battalion of Raven Guard
Captain (Would be upgraded to Chapter Master)
Lieutenant
5-Man Intercessor Squad with 1 Power Sword, 1 Grenade Launcher
7-Man Scout Squad with Sniper Rifles and a Missile Launcher
6-man Scout Squad with Boltguns
Relic Leviathan Dreadnought with Grav-Flux Bombard, 2 Heavy Flamers, Storm Cannon Array

We played ITC Mission 2. For Secondary Objectives, I picked Reaper (which could easily earn me lots of points with those big Conscript Squads), Recon, and Big Game Hunter. He picked Behind Enemy Lines, Big Game Hunter, and Headhunter.

I did my usual deployment, though I took care to keep Eldrad and the Autarch out of line of sight of his Scout Snipers that he deployed early on. He set up with a solid screen and kept his jump pack troops and terminators in reserve. Our deployment was table quarters.

This turned out to be a pretty straightforward game. With the exception of his FW Dreadnought, all of my opponent's units were units I understood. And I figured I could take them in a brawling match. I deep striked my Rangers into my own backlines, and my opponent sent in both of his deep strike squads into my back lines, but had to send them in behind my Rangers and pretty far back to be out of range of my guns (since I could use the Forewarned stratagem to shoot at incoming deep striker). Once he had committed his 400 points of deep strikers to the back of my deployment zone, my Wave Serpents burst ahead, and brought the fight to his gunline. His Conscripts went down pretty easily, with my 4 Serpents putting out 36 shots a turn that are quite accurate and hit hard. I lost some guys on the way in, and had to hold back my 8-strong Wraithguard squad for 2 turns, due to his effective screening, only bringing them in on turn 3. When I brought the Wraithguard in, my opponent remarked, "wow, I never really had a chance, did I?" and the battle in his deployment zone went from "pitched" to "stomp" pretty quickly.

This game was won on the deep strike of his guys into my backline. He actually fought very well with his gunline, carefully repositioning his screening units and forcing my characters to stay out of the action with his snipers. Down (locally) several hundred points though, it wasn't enough for him to win.

Game Two Result: Victory!

---

Game Three

Going into this game, I was feeling pretty good, but also pretty tired, since it was my first tournament. At this point, there were 3 undefeated players. Due to score, it was very unlikely I'd take first. However, if I beat my opponent (the top-scoring player with a 1-1 record) I could potentially take second, if the loser on the top table lost hard enough. So, for the final game, I repositioned to the second-from-the-top table, and faced off against Adrian's Death Guard. His list was (working from memory for this one since I don't have a copy):

+HQ+
Typhus
Necrosius
Malefic Lord
Jump Pack Sorcerer
Jump Pack Sorcerer
+Troops+
19 Poxwalkers
19 Poxwalkers
17 Poxwalkers
+Elites+
Tallyman
10 Blightlord Terminators
+Heavy+
Plagueburst Crawler
+Lord of War+
Mortarion

Quite a list! And with Deathguard, which i'm not familiar with. I identified the poxwalkers as "potentially threatening, but not really a problem" and all the characters as "potentially a big problem" as well as the Terminators as "a big problem" and Motrarion, of course, as "the biggest problem" given his stature. I ran my Warlock with Protect/Jinx, hoping he could cast it on a juicy target like Mortarian to make that Invulnerable save a bit more manageable. Ultimately, my ability to win this game would come down to handling Morty and the Termies.

We got short table edge deployment, and laid things out.

At this point, it was starting to get late, I'd played 2 games in a row, and I was making mistakes. I mishandled Eldrad, letting him get charged by deep striking Terminators. I forgot to move a squad of Wraithguard one turn. I didn't keep the crew together: 2 wave serpents went up the center, and 1 went around each flank, rather than all 4 travelling together in a manner allowing for mutual support.

The most costly mistake was dealing with Mortarian. When Mortarian made his appearance, I didn't plan for how to deal with him in a tactical sense. I moved the bulk of my forces up onto the center objective on the elevated platform, but allowed Mortarian to walk right to the center of it. From the center, he zoned out my deep strikers from coming in on that platform: my 8-man Wraithguard squad I had hoped would drop in and toast Mortarian couldn't drop in. I had set up a great turn for them too, falling back some units out of assault with Mortarian, etc. Ultimately, these are mistakes that could have been trivially avoided, but as a day goes on and fatigue sets in this happens.

In the end, my Wraithguard had to come in elsewhere and shoot at sub-optimal targets (zombies and terminators) and Mortarian was able to clean up about a third of my army without dying. After that, it was all over but the shouting. I picked up a couple more victory points through some careful Eldar trickery, picking off a character here or there, boosting onto objectives, etc. I'd say I probably doubled my number of points beyond what would have happened if I gave up when all was lost, so I feel pretty good about that. Still, I wish I had been able to give this game my all. Adrian was a sportsman and a great opponent, and I'd like to get another crack at him. Maybe next tournament!

Game Three Result: Defeat!

Overall, the tournament was a great experience. This was true both with the games (a lot of fun, everyone was sportsmanlike) and with the social aspect. It was cool to hang out and chat with other players, play against a bit more variety in list, and see what the local scene was like. I'll surely attend the next one in the area.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
Great reports Blazinghand. I was pleased to see you come through the first 2 encounters convincingly*. That 3rd though? That sounded rough. It's a tough list as well...I'm fairly surprised that he was only 1-1 when you met.

Anyway, great reports from what sounded like a really fun day. Congratulations on doing so well. I'm sure next time you'll come out on top.

*That first army looks really beautiful from that zoomed out shot. Was it pretty impressive?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
The first opponent with the tan army had a really good look. He had good highlights and wash to give his tanks  and infantry that kind of battle-haredened look, and he got the ultramarine blue to fit in quite well on the shoulders and as stripes on the vehicle. Sadly, I don't have more photos of his army, but it was one of the better looking ones out there. Here's a higher res image of the set-up: https://i.imgur.com/tbQBawM.jpg

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 06:37:10 AM »
Great bat-reps Blazinghand! Really well written and I really got a good feel for the game. I wish I was as concise! Really nice run too. I think you played really well. Too bad you got tired in that final game because I think you could've nabbed a victory there. Also in the 2nd bat-rep vs the Ravenguard... did you just race away leaving all those deepstrikers in the dust? If so I salute you sir! I've done something like that a number of times and its just hilarious. Anyway I really enjoyed the bat-reps, congrats on a great run!

BTW where did you get those ITC mission packs? They look fun... are they up on the FLG site?

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 05:00:48 AM »
Finished basing some models! My Warlock, Farseer, and Rangers squad are all rocking some new bases. I've decided to start using dead grass flock to liven things up a bit.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »
I've always liked dead static grass. It just screams battlefield terrain to me. Looking good Blazinghand.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #37 on: April 1, 2018, 07:49:25 AM »
Looking really nice Blazinghand. It looks really nice in contrast to your blue scheme. Also the Rangers look awesome in that camo pattern. Those old sculpts are such classic. Love it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #38 on: April 6, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
Yeah those bases look ace :) definitely suit your scheme. Nice work!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2018, 04:06:33 PM »
I really like your blue combos. Stunning and elegant. Really shows the Eldar sensuality. Keep it up.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword