News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60331 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: My Aeldari and Aelf
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
Great looking Reaver, Mage, I love that skintone :D! As for those choral bows you're trying to perfect, have you tried the citadel paint app, by chance? If you search by miniature and look for one of the Akhelian Riders with the war horn, I think you can follow the color guide for the conch horn he is using. I think that has the same color and tone you're looking to match your bows with :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #241 on: August 3, 2018, 12:04:55 AM »
OK been a little while so :)

I made some sea shells :)

OK I made a mold of the tip of a real sea shell lol

A squad of reavers and a couple of extra's are ready for the table top.

The rest are on their way.. but umm that giant turtle might distract me for a while..

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #242 on: August 3, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »
So cool! Love the base idea. The colors work so well together. Keep 'em coming
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #243 on: August 3, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »
Awesome Namarti, Mage! I'm loving how the skin turned out on all of them. The bases are also really cool, like the sea shell, a nice added touch. If you don't mind me asking, how did you do the orange markings on the Namarti's foreheads?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #244 on: August 4, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
Wow Mage! The Deepkin look amazing! So does your Eldar terrain. You've truly leveled up in the painting dept my friend. Just fantastic stuff. Love the color pallet and execution on your Deepkin especially. Great stuff!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #245 on: August 5, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »
Thanks Guys.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do the orange markings on the Namarti's foreheads?

It's Fuegan Orange Shade, you'll want a light colour in the groove first. It took me a few goes to get the right amount loaded on the brush, a dab or two on the high straight point will fill most of it in, then you can almost drag it into the curve. If it over runs or you get some out of the groove, you can fix it up easily enough with a dry brush after it has dried

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #246 on: August 7, 2018, 11:00:36 AM »
Thanks Guys.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do the orange markings on the Namarti's foreheads?

It's Fuegan Orange Shade, you'll want a light colour in the groove first. It took me a few goes to get the right amount loaded on the brush, a dab or two on the high straight point will fill most of it in, then you can almost drag it into the curve. If it over runs or you get some out of the groove, you can fix it up easily enough with a dry brush after it has dried

I did exactly the same thing with the Reaver bows. Fuegan Orange is really growing on me; it's way more versatile than I first gave it credit for.

Your Idoneth are really coming together nicely...I'm definitely looking forward too seeing what you can do with the Leviadon, it's such a cool kit!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #247 on: August 7, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward too seeing what you can do with the Leviadon, it's such a cool kit!

Yeah I couldn't resist cracking it open, here's a sneak peak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #248 on: August 8, 2018, 01:09:33 AM »
That beast is freakin' amazing, Mage ;D! Love what you've done with him. You're a painting machine! I especially like the how you did the green on the scales, but the shell and the razor fins are well done too. Cannot wait to see this turtle completed and ready for battle!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #249 on: August 8, 2018, 01:37:36 AM »
Speed painting lol :)
Just been lucky enough to have worked from home, so I got to spend the travel time painting instead of sitting in traffic for hours on end.

So here is the result of tinkering while waiting for other stuff to dry. My first crack at doing a wave breaking on the rocks.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #250 on: August 8, 2018, 08:54:55 PM »
Holy Wow! You did awesome! I just can't say enough but I am humbled by that base. Perfect colors so if that's tinkering I can't wait for you to get serious.

Ha I was going to paint some tonight but ended up at the ER with another kidney stone so pain killers are not conducive to painting, grrr.

Keep em coming!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #251 on: August 8, 2018, 10:04:14 PM »
Loving that base on the Reaver, Mage :)! I think your method for water on bases is more natural than mine, I'm still playing around with the idea of what's a good amount to put on there. How did you get that brighter blue color toward the shoreline without having to flatten your waves out?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #252 on: August 8, 2018, 10:58:32 PM »
Ha I was going to paint some tonight but ended up at the ER with another kidney stone so pain killers are not conducive to painting, grrr.

Youch! Hope you can get it out soon mate.

How did you get that brighter blue color toward the shoreline without having to flatten your waves out?

Seal it with still water effects after you do the blending (Nihilakh Oxide works well with loaded brush and wet blendng). Two thin layers of still water effects seems to work, you get a good amount of controll without having to tape things up and it dries alot quicker.

Don't ask me why, but this seems to work out better with the gel going on top, just make sure the still effects is dry before using the gel, it doesn't mix well lol.  Apply the gel using something Round, like a tooth pick, you can push the gel around and form wave shapes easier on its side and poke at it with the tip, but essencially you are leaving a thin layer of gel or making thin tiny clumps. These either shrink to nothing or dries to a thin transperant blue.

One final tip, don't go too dark on the blue paint going under the still effects, the gel makes it rather dark any way.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #253 on: August 9, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »

Seal it with still water effects after you do the blending (Nihilakh Oxide works well with loaded brush and wet blendng). Two thin layers of still water effects seems to work, you get a good amount of controll without having to tape things up and it dries alot quicker.

Don't ask me why, but this seems to work out better with the gel going on top, just make sure the still effects is dry before using the gel, it doesn't mix well lol.  Apply the gel using something Round, like a tooth pick, you can push the gel around and form wave shapes easier on its side and poke at it with the tip, but essencially you are leaving a thin layer of gel or making thin tiny clumps. These either shrink to nothing or dries to a thin transperant blue.

One final tip, don't go too dark on the blue paint going under the still effects, the gel makes it rather dark any way.

We have similar methods for doing the sea bases, but how we apply the gel is kind of swapped lol. I think I'm going to give your method a shot, cause I really like the luminosity you get in the results.

Also, what paints do you use for the sea?

I use Vallejo Ultramarine Blue, Temple Guard Blue for the brighter waters, and then the Vallejo Atlantic blue water texture to create the waves.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #254 on: August 9, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »
Also, what paints do you use for the sea?

I use Vallejo Ultramarine Blue, Temple Guard Blue for the brighter waters, and then the Vallejo Atlantic blue water texture to create the waves.

I use Nihilakh Oxide for the shoreline, then something like teclis blue for the deeper waters. Vallejo game colour ultramarine blue is a little darker, not by much. I found that the sea needs the white layer first. Nihilakh is really useful as its basically a shade consistency. Makes blending alot easier.  I'll see if I can do a base tonight and post up a snap.

EDIT:OK so, you can find some pics in this Imgur album of the bases at different stages, the difference in paint colours for a comparison. I was/is Teclis blue that I used Bases - Album on Imgur
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:55:16 AM by magenb »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »
That water effect is amazing magenb!  Thanks for sharing these!   :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
So had a couple of games on the weekend with the deepkin.

I dropped the Namarti Corps battalion and merged the Thralls into a single 20 man unit. Totally worth it. The flying Turtle did very little damage output wise in both games, but the extra save was solid, and the combo of the turtle with lure light meant I could engage in a war of attrition against 30 chaos warriors lol. It's odd to have tanky elves :)

Some of the Endless spells are undercosted. Right now, if you don't field Wizards or don't have access to units that can atleast dispell, you're in for a bad day, even if you have access to those, you can still some up against casters you can't stop due to load of bonuses they get to cast, not fun to simplay have to take 2D3 MW a turn with nothing you can really do about it, it would certainly suck worse for armies that can't regain models. Mortal Wounds are still problematic, seems like it would be a fairer system if they moved it to auto-wounds.

It is strange 40k has removed the Turn 1 deep strike, because it caused a boat load of problems, but still allowed it to happen in AOS.

I don't think Namarti outside of Mor'phan are worth it, they just get torn to shreds otherwise.

The warscrolls for Bretonnian's seem to be woeful versus anything with a codex, not sure if this is for all the old armies.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2018, 10:18:22 PM »

I dropped the Namarti Corps battalion and merged the Thralls into a single 20 man unit. Totally worth it. The flying Turtle did very little damage output wise in both games, but the extra save was solid, and the combo of the turtle with lure light meant I could engage in a war of attrition against 30 chaos warriors lol. It's odd to have tanky elves :)

Some of the Endless spells are undercosted. Right now, if you don't field Wizards or don't have access to units that can atleast dispell, you're in for a bad day, even if you have access to those, you can still some up against casters you can't stop due to load of bonuses they get to cast, not fun to simplay have to take 2D3 MW a turn with nothing you can really do about it, it would certainly suck worse for armies that can't regain models. Mortal Wounds are still problematic, seems like it would be a fairer system if they moved it to auto-wounds.

It is strange 40k has removed the Turn 1 deep strike, because it caused a boat load of problems, but still allowed it to happen in AOS.

I don't think Namarti outside of Mor'phan are worth it, they just get torn to shreds otherwise.

The warscrolls for Bretonnian's seem to be woeful versus anything with a codex, not sure if this is for all the old armies.

Hi Mage, glad you got a couple of games in! Sounds like that Turtle did some really great support for you. I haven't played enough with the endless spells to really comment on them, but I have a feeling that two wizards would really come in handy for fending off those impending mortal wounds. One of the list I'm thinking on includes a Tidecaster and an Eidolon, Aspect of the Sea for some wizardly shenanigans!

About the Namarti, I've been thinking that I want to run one or two units of 30 Thralls to keep them in the fight. I'm still not sure about the Namarti Reavers, but I'll keep trying them out I think for the moment. I think the trouble comes from overly relying on the Namarti to tank / destroy most armies. I think instead of having the Namarti be the backbone, you have to use the Akhelians and the Namarti like two pieces of the same backbone. But that's just a hunch on my part ;D.

I only need one more unit of Thralls, and an Eidolon to reach 2000 points, then I can start reall testing my list and we can compare our experiences ;D.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

I will say, that larger units are always better than  multiple smaller ones.  Just keep in mind, the bonus save for being in cover, doesn't apply to assault.

I think for the most part, the endless spells are pointed well, except for the geminids of ulgish, but they did faq it and the spell portals to limit their effectiveness. You do want wizards though. A good counter to endless spells is the lense of refraction artifact from the realm of light as well.

Turn 1 deepstrike was mostly an issue in 40k, due to shooting. In aos,  if you plan for it, turn 1 deepstrike is not an issue, and a lot of factions are quick enough to charge across the table t1 anyway. Screening units are critical for success in aos to mitigate both of those things.

There is a bit of a power imbalance between battletome books, and those without. But, it's more due to a lack of battalions and allegence abilities, more so than the warscrolls/points. Some factions with limited options (like thunderscorn) do struggle, but quite a few "have not" factions can hold their own successfully.

However, compendium units and factions are purposely neglected. Games Workshop doesn't sell brettonia or tomb king models anymore, and don't want people trying to buy second hand models in an effort to chase the Meta. The pdf rules for legacy/compendium units are clearly only there for people holding out with their old models. Unfortunate for those who still have those models, but at least they can still use their toys.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Just keep in mind, the bonus save for being in cover, doesn't apply to assault.

Page 232 of the new rule book, says that the unit charging doesn't get cover saves. It would be very odd wording if cover saves were not allowed in close combat.

Hi Mage, glad you got a couple of games in! Sounds like that Turtle did some really great support for you. I haven't played enough with the endless spells to really comment on them, but I have a feeling that two wizards would really come in handy for fending off those impending mortal wounds. One of the list I'm thinking on includes a Tidecaster and an Eidolon, Aspect of the Sea for some wizardly shenanigans!

The problem I faced was an enemy caster getting +3 to casting rolls, kind of hard to deny that sort of stuff. My main opponent is going to be nighthaunts, so they have no shortage of being able to throw out deny rolls.

About the Namarti, I've been thinking that I want to run one or two units of 30 Thralls to keep them in the fight. I'm still not sure about the Namarti Reavers, but I'll keep trying them out I think for the moment. I think the trouble comes from overly relying on the Namarti to tank / destroy most armies. I think instead of having the Namarti be the backbone, you have to use the Akhelians and the Namarti like two pieces of the same backbone. But that's just a hunch on my part ;D.

Reavers are hit and miss, at full range they are very meh. I think I'll keep 1 unit of Reavers in the army once I build up a large enough force. One of the problems I found with a 20 man squad of Thralls, was I couldn't get all of them into the fight. With a unit of Reavers sitting behind, I can whittle down whatever the thralls are getting stuck into. A couple more models down can cause problem in the battleshock phase.

For me Akhelians and the king, will pair up to go hunting down leaders and juicy targets. This means I can use the Thralls with a soulrender to hold objectives or tarpit.

So I'm thinking my army might look something like:
1 of the kings
2 tide casters
1 soulrender
2 squads of 20 model thralls
1 squad of 10 reavers
2 squads of 3 model eels (not sure which just yet)
1 flying turtle.

This give me some points to tinker and spend on endless spells if I think I have a chance to get them out.

Post Merge: August 14, 2018, 05:04:49 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

OK I've been tinkering again. This time with making big waves.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:22:30 PM by magenb »