News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60336 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Start of my Corsair Journey.
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 03:48:01 AM »
Man I hate it when a converted model doesn't go as well as I'd hoped in the paint department.

It's not all lost though. Do you have something like Fenrisian Grey? You could use the regal(ish) blue as a base colour, and then drybrush on the Fenrisian Grey in layers up to a grey-blue at the highest points.

Just start with an all-over (except for the recesses) really light drybrush and work up from there :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2017, 07:17:22 AM »
Yeah the Fang... highlighted by Fenris Grey is probably what you are looking for. They have a whole range of greyish blues that are really nice to work with... and can be painted on over black. They even have a spray primer for it which I highly recommend.

It lasts forever and makes life so easy. The Fang Spray | Games Workshop Webstore

Any thought to going with something to contrast against your Corsairs? Averland Sunset yellow or Zendri Dust tan or something? GW has sprays for all that... so you could do it quickly too. I've been rocking a can of Zendri Dust for like 2 years and its still rocking
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
I can only echo what Cav and Ynnead have said. The Space Wolf style Blue/Greys are tremendous (and easy) to work with. Working from The Fang, up through Russ Grey with a final Fenrisian Grey highlight provides a really good finish without a lot of fuss.

I hope you figure something out, as it's a cool mini that deserves a paint job that you are happy with. Good luck.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2017, 04:52:32 PM »
Yeah dry brushing helped, but still didn't hit the mark. Tried a heavier grey mix and it does look a bit better. I think the real problem is there is too much of the colour in a tight model. Alot of other mini's have a wide stance with long cloths to break it up a bit.

Took a look at Averland on the website and it looks like very dark, but definate yellow, found the hex code for it and it looks closer to the old graveyard earth, than a yellow, kind of like a dark wet sand.

Oh https://coolors.co is handy site I stumbled on you can pick a ferw colours out and it tries to find matching colours.

I'm temped to turn those long horns into short ones curling back and making the face Kabuki mask.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
Gotcha so you need something to break up the blue/grey slightly.

Have you tried painting (delicately) all of the little spikes on the undersuit in gold? I've found that's really helped my corsairs to look finished :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »
Didn't have any Fenrisian grey, so tried mixing Astronpmican grey with the very old hideous blue (man those original white topped paint bottles are magic). They lose some of the blue colour in photos, but certainly more in the direction I was thinking. Might need to heavily water down the Hideouse blue and wash it on or maybe try dry brushing it.

I did say there's always a show off right ;)

Tinkering with the fluff.. for fluff reasons lol. I've always had the exodites as pulling in what works and finding a way to replicate the effect of something as they may not have the tech to do it. Combine some wyches moves with some dramatic tricks from the Harlies to replicate the effects of banshee masks, where they throw flashbang/sonic/smoke grenades instead of normal assault grens. So trying to find a way to make them look like they are moving through the smoke. So I'm thinking rakarth with a dry brush of kislev.

I think Kabuki masks are a go.

I was originally thinking silver for the spikes will give it a go.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:49:31 AM by magenb »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2017, 05:50:52 AM »
Looking good :) a selective darker blue wash in the recesses of that grey/blue would be dead simple and add a lot of definition :) glad you've found something you like better though :)

Silver would work really nicely with the blue as well, I just picked gold as you'd already used it on the knee armour :)

I like the idea of sonic grenades as fluff for the Banshee Mask rules :) I always like it when people put extra fluff effort into explaining counts-as units' rules :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
well currently replacing the faces with Harliquin face masks to get the kabuki feel. I think I need to shave some of the head back so the mask doesn't sit so far forward.

I'm thinking the gold should be toned down a bit with the bronze layer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:05:22 PM by magenb »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:13 PM »
Looking really cool there magenb. Love the behind the back hold for that glaive. He looks ready to just flip it around to lop some poor marines head clean off. Adding some bronze and then just highlighting with gold can help, but you could easily just get a better effect adding Agrax Earthshade. You can keep adding layers if you want an even more dark contrast.

Keep it up, it's looking great.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »
Oh yeah, such great conversions. The dynamics look great, colors bring out a lot for that. Keep it up.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2017, 07:13:33 AM »
Continuing to look really good Mage. I can't tell from the photo... but the mask looks really good to me. Doesn't look awkward at least from this angle. I've got a huge bag of those masks in my bits box... can't wait to use them myself. Great stuff... keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
Looking great! The metallic really helps to break up the bulk of the blue, and the kabuki mask looks excellent too :)

If you'd feel happier shaving off some more of the head to get the face further back then go with your gut instinct on it :) always served me right, and in the rare times it doesn't you can easily space it forwards again with some of the material you've just shaved off :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »
G@#$@#$@#$%@#$#@

Found some cheap seeker mounts, I wanted to use the legs from the sisters of the thorn, but they dont fit very well.. I've never really had to try it, but does GW plastics bend like FW resin when soaked in hot water?

So if anyone else is thinking of using them, normal guardian legs fit OK, but its basically a straight leg. Reaver jet bike legs (with the bodies) so I would imagine windrider body+legs would fit OK as well, just didn't have one lose to check. Looks like more parts hunting while I finish the others off.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »
Hmmm, not sure about bending (although I do just straight bend my plastics on occasion and then pop a bit of glue over them to harden them up again). Never tried it with a bit of warmth but I'd expect it to help.

The other option would be to cut the leg off with a sharp knife, file or cut back one of the sides so it changes the angle and then glue it back in place.

Which is the bit that doesn't fit right?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2017, 09:38:17 PM »
The issue is the flowing chain mail, it bumps into the mount legs and saddle.

The legs fit together in the middle of the hip as a straight "|" join. If you break the glue on the bottom, so the top works like a hinge, you can expand it to fit reasonably well, but then it makes it a very weak join. Some putty/green stuff should fix that and if its not perfect it should be hidden by the saddle any way. Doing that changes the shape of the join between rider legs and body, giving it a slight "V" shape.

I'm thinking this is a better option than more straight legged riders, but I'm diving through bits still. All part of the fun of going off script  :D

Tinkering with the smoke effect.. need to find some grey cotton I think, or a way of colouring the cotton with out destroying it's fluffness

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:04:51 PM by magenb »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:11 AM »
Yeah those modifications to the Rider legs would work nicely. You can cut off the sides of the torsos to match the V of the legs too so that should work ok :)

I'm liking the smoke effects :) looks like they're leaping through mist. Alas I don't know of any sources of grey cotton wool. Perhaps craft shops?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
That smoke effect is really good as it adds a real sense of motion to your model. I especially like the little bit that you have used on the end of the weapon.

As for grey cotton wool I am not sure that it is actually available. The only thing I could think of is if you were to soak your cotton wool in a water based paint that it might colour it and then when totally dry it might retain its fluffiness.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »
soo some one's been distracting me from the exodites...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2017, 11:33:00 PM »
Brilliant colors! Just love the effect. Only critique from me is the sword, maybe a strong white highlight on the tip and edges, but that's just me.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2017, 05:12:02 AM »
Ooh i like that! The really rich blue is very nice, and the scroll lines on his armour being picked out lighter looks really good too :)