News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.  (Read 46285 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.
« Reply #60 on: April 2, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
Wow vonny this army really looks stunning !  together like this it stand out a lot !  i really think just having this on the tabletop make your opponents shiver. even more if they are tyranide ^^ really nice army!
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #61 on: April 2, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »
I agree with Grizzly your army looks brilliant and I really like the way the whole army has a dynamic look. What have you got planned next? Will we see a battle report?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #62 on: April 3, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »
@grizzlykin: Heh, a friend of mine said that as well - he said they look far more stunning in this group shot than they do all apart.
Funny you should say that about tyranids. While the eldar army here is about 1000 pts, only three shelves higher in the same cabinet stands my tyranid army - which has close to 3000 pts of painted models (If I deck them out with upgrades I'd probably be close to 3500). I'm so slow with my eldar at the moment because I'm painting a few tyranids instead! :)

@alienscar: Well, I'm taking them out for a spin tomorrow, but I'll be proxying part of my army (I need to paint faster) so I'd feel bad posting pictures. Even though it's likely my opponents will proxy far more :P

check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #63 on: April 3, 2015, 03:33:46 AM »
well this is an eldar painting blog but i would not mind seeing some tyranide just to know how they look :D ...  proxy or not proxy you can give us some pick i think, I don't care personally. good pictures are good pictures wether or not you proxy things ><

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #64 on: April 3, 2015, 04:25:57 AM »
Once again I agree with everything that Grizzly wrote, especially the bit about Tyranids. It's your blog but I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the Tyranids posted here. Personally pictures of proxies in a battle report wouldn't bother me as I generally just read the report without taking much notice of the pictures. After your battle on Saturday maybe you could write a mini battle report and let us know how you got on.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #65 on: April 4, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
ok, well, battle report.

I built a 1500 pts list, including:

Spiritseer,
in a unit of
5 wraithguard with wraithcannons
in a
Wave serpent with t-l scatter laser and shuriken cannon,
a
spiritseer,
in a unit of
5 wraithguard with D-scythes
in a
Wave serpent with t-l scatter laser and shuriken cannon
a unit of
5 wraithblades with axe/shield
two of the following:
Wraithlord with dual flamers, dual bright lance and a ghost glaive
and a
Wraithknight with dual heavy Wraithcannon.

Instead of the expected 2 1v1 games we've done the past few times, my friends decided they wanted to go 2v2 again, and I didn't mind. So, not knowing eachother's armies too well, and certainly not having made arrangements, we decided to count everyone as allies of convenience and roll off who would join who.
Unfortunately, this left me with very uncharacteristic allies (chaos daemons), so a narrative battle report would be out of the question.
The chaos daemon list had 2 units of pink horrors and a bunch of flying monstrous creatures which were mostly close combat oriented. The opposing force was a force of necrons with a destroyer cult and two doomscuthes and an iron hand list with 2 triple lascannon predators, 4 t-l assaultcannon razorbacks, 2 assault cannon dreadnoughts and a stormtalon.

we had the maelstorm mission where you fight over the length of the table instead of having the long table edge as your deployment zone. The enemy stole initiative too.
Having deployed quite far forward to allow the daemons their beloved close combat, we we were under heavy fire by the enemy from the get go. Despite that, we didn't suffer many losses. The wave serpent with my flamers in it took 2 hullpoints of damage, and in our first turn I decided to pull it back to use the superior range of its serpent shield wile staying relatively safe. One of my wraithlords knocked 2 hullpoints and the powerfist off a dreadnought and the other took another hullpoint and immobilized from the other dreadnought. Most of the rest of our army moved forward, spells were cast (mostly to keep the flying monstrous creatures safe), and nothing much of note happened.
2nd turn we got hit hard. All three airplanes got onto the field and with the closer range, 2 of the daemon MC's were instantly killed and my damaged wave serpent was forced to jink once more. The wraithknight took 3 wounds as well, despite being in cover.
In our turn 2 we managed to assault 2 different units. The bloodthirster took on some necron warriors alongside four nurgling swarms (who were bought 'because I had points to spare'), and the wraithknight shot 1 destroyer and then assaulted the rest of the unit. Unfortunately, the wraithknight wiped his opponents completely, allowing it to be shot in the following turn, while the bloodthirster stayed safely in melee. I disembarked my wraithguard and shot another destroyer, my wraithlord killed a heavy destroyer (and routed the unit, unfortunately they would later rally). Both my wave serpents managed to do really well here. Despite jinking, the one still holding the flamer wraithguard managed to glance one of the doomscythes, while the one that had just deployed its unit downed the other.

With two turns played and tactical objectives, we were already 6-0 behind. Ouch.

In their third turn they poored almost everything they had on my wraithknight. It was deep in their deployment, out of combat, and about the only good target. Having cover, the wraithknight pulled fire from two destroyer units, a heavy destroyer unit, 2 predators, a dreadnought, and 3 razorbacks, it finally went down. The remaining two flyers finally managed to knock the last hullpoint off of the wave serpent hiding in the backfield, and fire was poured into the keeper of secrets, my wraithblades and my wraithlords, mostly to no avail (although the keeper of secrets did get down to its final wound). The destroyer lord and its retinue of 3+ invulnerable save melee necrons used some wargear thing to teleport into our backfield. The space marine's warlord, a librarian, fled from his unit near the bloodthirster to sit in a nearby razorback on his own. The combat between the bloodthirster and the necron warriors ended in our favor.
in our third turn the keeper of secrets retaliated by cracking its whip and downing the 2nd doomscythe. My spiritseer weakened the necron lord's unit's weapon skill, which was then assaulted by tzeentch fire spell twice and then assaulted by a unit of horrors with the intention of tarpitting them. In the end this worked out quite well, with the unit being stuck and whittled down until only the destroyer lord made it out of combat with 1 wound remaining at the end of our turn 5. Seizing the initiative, the bloodthirster moved on to take on the space marine unit the librarian had just vacated. After having killed a destoyer in the previous turn, my wraithguard killed a razorback and proceeded to assault its contents. In hindsight, they couldn't have assaulted me yet in the following turn so I should've just waited. One of my wraithlords finished off the immobilized dreadnought. Knowing he still had some of the necron snipers deepstriking in later, I moved my flamer wraithguard over to the objective the now tarpitting horrors had been guarding. My remaining serpent, having been positioned to take out the necron flier downed by the keeper of secrets, had little else to do and took some potshots at some destroyers across the field, alas rather ineffectually. My wraithblades moved up to keep area denial in the middle around two objectives and perhaps draw some fire. And that they did, because
In their turn 4, they took out the wraithblades with the now arriving necron snipers and some more space marine shooting. The keeper of secrets was taken out by lascannon fire, the fight between my wraithguard and the space marines ground to a standstill, and my wraithlords were soaking up fire as if it was a refreshing shower. The bloodthirster once again had impeccable timing and removed the last of his opponents in his melee combat. Importantly, he popped smoke on the razorback containing the librarian.
In our turn 4, the bloodthirster moved up behind the razorback with the enemy warlord. We had just drawn a mission to eliminate an enemy character (or 3), and we were hoping to get to him. I think we put too much effort into this and I should've had my wraithlord move in and support the wraithguard in combat close by, but I shot and failed to kill the razorback. In the end the bloodthirster charged it and destroyed it, having the librarian walk out of the wreckage unscathed.
In their turn 5, the scared librarian climed out of the wreckage and tried to create as much distance between him and the bloodthirster. this proved unnecessary as they finally had a good shot at the bloodthirster, and took him out. a unit of necron warriors charged into my wraithguard in support of the marines they were fighting. Unfortunately my spiritseer killed the space marine sergeant in this turn - we would've gotten a victory point for it had it happened in our own turn. Other than that, the combat was still at a standstill. The stormtalon went into hover mode and tried to shoot my flamer wraithguard off of the objective, but only managed to kill 2.
In our turn 5 my remaining wave serpent turbo-boosted onto an objective, I shot, assaulted and destroyed the stormtalon with one wraithlord and the witchstaff of my spiritseer, and the other wraithlord joined the other wraithguard in their melee with the marines and necrons. While I had a resounding win in this combat round, neither opponent lost his wits and they stayed in the fight. The enemy destroyer lord finally broke free of his combat, and consolidated.
The roll for next turn came up as a 2, and so we ended it here. Primary objectives: 9 for them, 7 for us, but they also had slain both our warlords, so the final score was 11-7.

Wow, this was an exciting game to play with lots of laughs. The necrons were a pain to play against as they had a large volume of high strength low AP shooting with reroll to hit and to wound which more often than not made a mockery of the wraith construct's strengths. Despite that, the match was really tense and a few rolls or objective card draws different could have seen a different ending to the game.
With still having 6 wraithguard, both wraithlords (though 1 with only 1 wound) and both spirtseers and a wave serpent still standing, I think I did ok though.
Points to note: as I had and used the army now, it probably would've been better if one of the spiritseers would have been my warlord instead of the wraithknight. This was my original idea as well, so no idea why I decided to go for the wraithknight in the end anyway. Also it might be a good idea to equip the wraithlords with scatter laser/bright lance instead, but I'm not sure on that yet.
All in all I think I did good with few tactical mistakes, and most importantly all four of us had a very good time.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #66 on: April 5, 2015, 05:44:41 AM »
Your picture of that section of your army shows how truly impressive those units look with that paint job.  You've got a really great looking force there.

Regarding the battle report, Necrons are very annoying, I agree.  I can't see a reason to tinker with your list though, apart from not making the Wraithknight the warlord, as you say.  I would avoid changing the weapons on the Wraithlords for the simple reason that the Scatter Laser and Brightlance are suited to destroying different targets, so don't make for a good pairing.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #67 on: April 5, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »
Oh man I love that shot of your army! As I said before... very ethereal which I love. Great bat-rep too. Necrons are VERY tough probably one of the toughest match-ups for Eldar and definitely our equal (if not superior) in raw power. Sounds like you played a good game, using terrain and manueverability to get those fire lanes and taking full advantage of the "range game".

My only question is why did you rush the Wraithknight into CC so early on? My question is pure curiosity and by no means a criticism as I'm guessing it was the presence of all the fliers firepower and Necron firepower and your were just trying to "hide" him in CC for awhile? I actually think the Wraithknight is not always the easiest unit to use. He's so expensive, everyones gunning for him and the 36" range requires him to be pretty dang close. I'd be interested to know what the situation is. Its funny I think you guys are my only Eldar buddies I can't talk tactics with anyone at my store!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #68 on: April 6, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »
Well, there were 2 considerations. One: their whole army, save one unit, were ranged units, so going into melee I would be very tough to kill and hopefully safe from enemy shooting which was much more dangerous (although I killed the enemy unit too quickly and couldn't hide in the combat).
The second reason is that my ally had 3 flying monstrous creatures which were almost completely melee oriented, and one more relatively fast monstrous creature also focused on getting in melee combat. I thought the best thing to do is put pressure on the enemy as much as possible and not let my teammate run the gauntlet on his own.

In the end we had a lot of zone control: Apart from the flyers, the necron lord who deepstruck and the deepstriking necron snipers, none of their units even left their deployment zone. Unfortunately, the objectives that got drawn prevented us taking a lot of adventage of that.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #69 on: April 7, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
I thought the best thing to do is put pressure on the enemy as much as possible and not let my teammate run the gauntlet on his own.

I totally feel you on this one. In my double game the other week I definitely felt the need to throw my units into the fire as his guys were getting grinded up by Thunderwolves.

Also your explanation makes total sense. By no means was it a criticism. I've had to do the same thing many times with my Wraithknight. Its one of the reasons I'm gravitating towards Harlies. I feel the Eldar are increasingly in need of an interceptor unit that can go out and halt enemy units ready to rampage into the core of your army.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #70 on: April 7, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
I didn't feel critisized. You even made me think a bit more and articulate my reasons, and made me even more convinced I did the right thing :)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »
well, I did a little side project.

Now, you might be wondering why I'm showing off a rather mediocre piece of custom eldar terrain, like so

That's because, when you turn it around, you get this:

And inside, it has this:

My own personal magnetized bits-container. All in style :)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
That's very clever, I really like that idea.  I also rather like it as a piece of terrain.  It looks a bit like a mini landing pad or shrine made out of wraithbone.  My only suggestion might be to make it a bit richer in terms of its whiteness, if that's possible.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
it probably is, but a little bit overexposed on the camera

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »
That is a pretty clever terrain piece.  Good job!  :)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
that make for a pretty clever move there :D the terrain isn't so bad either :D sweet things to see^^

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:12 AM »
I'm currently considering my wraithknight build/conversion/magnetisation. I was planning to build a little fountain like structure on the base to make it visually interesting and to have the knight something to pose off of.
so, here's the sketch I made (wait 5 seconds, it switches between the various main weapon options)

What do you guys think of it? Anything I can do better, or different?

edit: I now realize I should've probably added a bit of shadows to the sketch to make it clearer to see. If you guys need it, let me know and I'll put some more work in it)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:59:15 AM by vonny »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »
Wow not sure how I missed that piece of Eldar terrain. I love it!It reminds of the piece inside the Iyanden Codex with Prince Y'riel and his Storm Guardians. Gotta make some myself.

Love your idea for the Wraithknight. Magnetizing the big man is super easy. There are magnets which fit right inside his arm sockets. I'll post some pix this weekend. Only thing you gotta be careful of is taking the arms on and off. The little nub which holds the shoulder pad in place is SUPER shallow and pops out quite easily. I've had to glue mine back in a number of times. I'd drill it out and green stuff it to save yourself the hassle.

Anyway awesome stuff as always Vonny.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »
hey cavalier :)

I'm glad you like the terrain piece. I will likely have to build a second (different) one, as I don't expect the wraithknight's arm with the sword to fit in here. Suggestions for that are welcome!

Glad you like the knight's pose. It's the second time I make a quick sketch of a pose to try something out for my eldar, and it really helps me visualize how I want it to look. Thanks for the tips on the shoulder plates. As for magnetizing: I was planning to use 4 of my 4mm magnets in a cross/square pattern, as that would help keep the arm in place without swiveling. Before I work on that though I need to build the rest of the body so I can place them correctly, and before I build the rest of the body I would really need to build the base, and before I build the base I need to figure out the pose so I know where (and if) to place the fountain. Hence the sketch and me posting it here :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:06:27 AM by vonny »

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
hey there vonny well as far as i can tell the pose you show us are really nice, they look dynamic and the idea to put the feet on something make for a great impact i love that.  you have my vote casted: go for it.

regarding the box :/  i'm sorry but i have no idea in my head right know :/