News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.  (Read 46318 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.
« Reply #160 on: April 9, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
There are numerous Eldar Aspect shrines whose colours differ from the standard colour scheme of their Aspect.  There is a shrine of the Howling Banshees which incorporates a lot more fiery orange red onto the body instead of the bone.  An example can be found on page 20 of the Eldar & Dark Eldar Collectors Guide if you have it.  There are also variant colour schemes in White Dwarf 127.  If you don't have either of those, I turned up some interesting colour schemes for Howling Banshees on Google, but the best ones, in my opinion, involve red or red/orange colours.

I love how you've made use of the Sorcerer's Table from Heroquest :).  That's ideal for the Thousand Sons.  The other objectives look good too, but the Chaos one is my favourite.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #161 on: April 9, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
Dear lord Vonny the table from Hero Quest is sick! The marble effect is unbelievable. I really love it. BTW I'm working on a monster Thousand Sons commission well over a thousand points.

The Tyranid pit is awesome too. Did you make that or did you buy it? It looks great.

The archeo-tech objective looks awesome as well. Is it for your Lamenters (who I love)?

Anyway great to see you back Vonny you're one of my faves. Thanks for sharing!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2016, 03:15:58 AM »
@irisado: fiery orange on banshees? That's something I'd have never thought of. Thanks for the tip, I'll try and look it up (was thinking a bit purple-like myself)
And yes, the heroquest altar is perfect for the thousand sons.I made sure it's removable from that base so I can still use it in heroquest too.

@cav: Thank you for the compliments. the marble effect on the table was something I just had to try out to give the table a bit more gravitas, because while it looks large and ominous now, I was fearing it would look.... well, like a plastic table.

The tyranid pit is actually a piece from the battle for macragge starter set. Over the years I've managed to collect 3, just the right amount, so once I find my flat 60mm bases again, all my tyranid objectives will look like that. I've even thought of changing the number of tentacle areas on them to distinguish between objective #1, 2 and 3 without it looking out of place.

And yes, the archeotech will be for my lamenters. I modelled it a bit after a power building thing from danw of war 1. It will have more yellow on it, and I've modelled a flag on the ground which will have the lamenter symbol to tie the piece a bit more in to the army.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »
progress is being made...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »
Those are some sweet paint jobs on those tanks.  :)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
Looking very promising Vonny :).  As always, you've got the yellow and blue spot on.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
If you are still trying to think of a way to paint the Banshee, the 2nd edition codex has an example where they did the armour plating in bone, but went a dark colour for the suit. The effect still works well on the new models too.

If you are after purple, Coolminiornot has a mix of purple, bone and green. There was also an interesting scheme of purple and turquoise?

Nice job on the WaveS.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »
Hey Vonny looking killer as always. Love those soft yellows, very unique and very cool. The markings are excellent as well. Always nerve wracking throwing down those chevrons and whatnot but when you execute they look so great.

Also about the Banshees (I forgot to comment on this last time) you could always do them up in black armor. I think that would look killer, even give them yellow and blue hair to tie it into your Craftworld. Pretty sure there is a color plate for that scheme in the new Codex. But I've seen Banshees in black (and red usually) and they look killer. Anyway great stuff and keep us posted!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
The banshee is such a gorgeous model that painting it in any craftworld palette will still look good. I did mine as can alternative to Ibryasil using Aliatoc Blue for the body, white for the head and blond for the hair and it turned out wonderful. I could see you doing a the same, except maybe making the hair as your yellow accent. The mostly blue body suit would be a good contrast to your mostly yellow vehicles, which are superbly done by the way.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #169 on: May 9, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »
Hello everyone.

So first things first: The race to get everything ready for the tournament at the start of june has reached it's first milestone... well, probably second as building everything was the first, but... well, it's a milestone. The finished serpent!

This is my second serpent, and you can see it here, right next to the first one:

As some of the more astute may notice, it's not really ready yet. For example, it has no craftworld Iyanden symbol anywhere, and I plan to do that as soon as I have the time (read: after every other model I need for the tourney is 'tabletop ready'). I'm also slightly worried about the color balance, with a lot of blue in the front and little in the back. My original plan (see below) had a few panels on the back of the craft in blue as well, and I can add those later if I want. What do you guys think?

Next up: Here's the banshee so far. I'm thinking turqoise mane, and perhaps do the shoulder guard in yellow as well. Then of course all the black parts and the blue parts (such as the belts). I'm thinking of making the power sword white and light blue instead of white and turqoise, to differentiate it from the ghostblades (and the mane) without deviating from existing colors even further. What do you guys think about that? Or about the mini as a whole so far, does the purple/bone work or does she dissappear into her base and/or the shuriken pistol into her?
« Last Edit: May 9, 2016, 12:47:10 PM by vonny »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: May 9, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
I think that the balance of yellow and blue is correct, but if you're looking to ensure that, I'd recommend extending it to the engines as you have with the Wave Serpent on the right of picture.  Those vehicles are looking very good to me :).

Regarding the Howling Banshee, she does not disappear into the base and I like the sound of the colour combinations you are proposing.  I'm forward to seeing how that model progresses.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »
Excellent stuff as always Vonny. The Serpents look absolutely incredible. I give you a lot of credit for going all out on the blue markings and executing it perfectly. I think the Serpent in the bottom pic could use a little blue on the "spoiler" or whatever its supposed to be. Though the color balance is really nice regardless.

The Banshee is also incredible! Wow so soft and ghostly. I absolutely love it. I don't think it disappears at all, its low contrast to be sure, but thats what I think makes it stand out! I wouldn't change anything. Can't wait to see her with blue hair too... fantastic!

Anyway great stuff as always Vonny can't wait to see the force you are putting together. Keep it up!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2016, 08:02:13 AM »
I really like the original paint scheme and I think the low contrast paint job really works. The only thing I may suggest is to have a high contrast paint job on the base to really make the model stand out. Doing a really bright, loud colour for the hair and sword would definitely help the model pop as well. I agree with adding a little more blue to the second serpent, just to balance it out. Overall, I'm loving your paint scheme and technique. Keep up the good work!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2016, 09:30:26 AM »
I think your Serpent looks briliant as it is and I prefer the way it looks now rather than how it looks in your original plan. In your original plan I think that the blocked out rear panels actually unbalances the look of the Serpent rather than balancing the colour scheme. If you want add more blue at the back then I think it would look better if you added diagonal markings.

I must be honest vonny I am not a huge fan of the Banshee's pastel look and in some way I agree with you that the model does seem to disappear. That said I can imagine that once you have finished it in the way that you have described it will look completely different and I will love it.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2016, 07:48:40 AM »
I am glad you guys are so honest with me!

I think that once I've painted up the rest of the model, and added the turqoise to the base, she'll be fine. You've given me the courage to push on.

Quick update:

Please ignore the pretty floral underground. We're using them to paint on specifically because we don't mind them getting covered in paint... anyway, this is the last bit I need to finish. I have, however, not yet chosen which Iyanden house they all hail from. So basically I still have a spiritseer, a warlock, and the guardian unit to pick (because I'll not put a house symbol on this banshee).
I'm open to suggestions!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »
Man Iyanden Guardians just look the best. You did a great job Vonny. I think you executed perfectly. Love the Warlock too, he was always one of my favorite sculpts.

Any idea on what your gonna run on the weapons platform?

Anyway the paint jobs look absolutely awesome. Love the low contrast look it makes them look really ghostly which is really cool considering how strong the colors are. Great stuff as always Vonny keep it up!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
They're not done yet, Cav, but thanks. The white helmets do work on them, but I'm really gonna make them blue.

The weapon platforms, as everything, are magnetized, but for the current round they'll be fielding starcannons

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #177 on: June 3, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
ah, small update. 

so... the hair looks a bit weird at the edge with the sword, but that's because the paint's still a bit wet, I think. And, of course, crappy phone camera.

I think I'll make the shoulder guard yellow too, but otherwise I think she's done. What do you think?

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: June 3, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »
I think that you could get away without adding the yellow to the shoulder guard, although it's not going to hurt if you do decide to add that.  It looks very good in my opinion.  You're just so precise that the finish looks great :).

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #179 on: June 3, 2016, 06:56:58 AM »
I love it Vonny. Came out truly, truly excellent. Definitely has that ethereal, alien vibe going to max effect. The paint job is just superb as are the color choices. I think you COULD add a yellow shoulder pad and it'd look great, if you didn't want to add it I don't think it would hurt the model one bit. But I tend to go understated sometimes to my detriment. Anyway fantastic stuff as always Vonny. Can't wait to see the whole squad!