News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: HeroQuest - OOC (one slot open)  (Read 14990 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: HeroQuest - recruitment - one last slot open!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 07:01:44 AM »
Right. So we are looking as follows as recruiting closes.

Runecaster for Wiggus.

Combat-miner for Lonewolf.

Halfling thief for skoops6.

Elven archer for TheBigTree

Human warrior for faitherun

and awaiting the final mystery-hero.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: HeroQuest - recruitment - one last slot open!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
Right. So we are looking as follows as recruiting closes.

Human warrior Barbarian for faitherun

Fixed it
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
Re: HeroQuest - recruitment - all slots filled - herocreation coming!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
Well to be fair, the difference between "warrior" and "barbarian" is the tendency to use shield and ranged weapons for the former and two-handed weapons for the other. While still a human warrior, yours would want to specialize into the swinging of the very heavy, not the hiding behind a portable door. :)

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Well to be fair, the difference between "warrior" and "barbarian" is the tendency to use shield and ranged weapons for the former and two-handed weapons for the other. While still a human warrior, yours would want to specialize into the swinging of the very heavy, not the hiding behind a portable door. :)

That sounds good to me. No portable doors please!

Besides, who doesn't want a giant sword bigger then most people?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:13 AM »
Our last contestant is opting for a human warrior as well, but he is having problems logging in.

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 05:35:40 AM »
Our last contestant is opting for a human warrior as well, but he is having problems logging in.

Aaaaaand, I'm in! Human Warrior it is!

Now, point me to the nearest orc....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:15:35 AM by Stitch »

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »
Good to have you on board Stitch :D .
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
Player: Stitch
Name: [tbd by player]         
Short bio: [tbd by player]         
Race: Human
Wizard?: No

Stats:         
WS 8
BS 7 (-2)
S 5
T 6 (+2)
Sp 7 (-1)
Br 6
Int    7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Sword, Shield, Leather armour
Gold: 20

Player: Wiggus
Race: Dwarf
Wizard?: Yes

Stats:   
WS 8
BS 7 (-1)
S 4
T 5 (+1)
Sp 7
Br 7
Int    8
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Warhammer, Shield
Spell components:3
Gold: 5
Other abilities: +2 to spot traps, +2 to disarm traps
Known spells: Flames of the Phoenix, Flames of Death

Player:    Lonewolf

Stats:   
WS 9
BS 8 (-1)
S 5
T 6 (+1)
Sp 5 (-1)
Br 8
Int 7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Axe, Shield, Leather armour   

Player:    Skoops6
Race: Halfling

Stats:   
WS 7
BS 7
S 4
T 5 (+1)
Sp 7 (-1)
Br 7
Int 7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Sword, Leather armour, Short bow + 6 arrows   
Gold: 10
Other abilities: Can Sneak

Player:    Faitherun

Stats:   
WS 7
BS 6 (-1)
S 6
T 5 (+1)
Sp 8 (-1)
Br 7
Int 6
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment:    2-handed sword, Leather armour

Player:    TheBigTree
Race: Elf

Stats:   
WS 7
BS 9 (-1)
S 5
T 4 (+1)
Sp 9 (-1)
Br 7
Int 7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Bow, 6 arrows, Sword, Leather armour   
Other abilities: +1 to surprise rolls

So here are our heroes. You need to name and give them a bit of background, and then we can go through some basic rules of play and get started!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:49:40 PM by Rasmus »

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
Player: Wiggus
Name: Lori Orepacer
Short bio: Due to an unfortunate accident involving a great cannon a fire spell and the thanes vault door (the soon to follow looting was nothing to do with him) Lori has been 'advised' (not that he waited around long enough to actually be told) that it was best to vacate the thanehold. Now the only realistic prospect of returning is with either a suitable amount of gold (at least enough to replace the engineered masterpiece that was the vault door or at least priceless treasures worthy of being stored within.
Wizard?: Yes

Stats:   
WS 8
BS 7 (-1)
S 4
T 5 (+1)
Sp 7
Br 7
Int    8
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Warhammer, Shield
Spell components:3
Known spells: Flames of the Phoenix, Flames of Death
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Player: Stitch
Name: Rudolf von Heinz a.k.a. "The Nose"
Short bio: Rudolf's nose never healed properly after he was hit in the face with that floorboard. Well... It wasn't so much that he was hit in the face with the floorboard, it was more a case of him slamming his face against the floor of the inn containing the floorboard when he tripped over the innkeeper's cat. He had always expected a few scars, of course. That came with adventuring. But he had hoped for a rather more thrilling tale to tell people about his first major injury. So, whenever someone asked about his crooked nose, he told them he had been hit in the face with a floorboard swung by "a huge frickin' guy!" He wanders the land, looking for fortune and glory, hoping to one day return home to his sweetheart and prove to his would-be father-in-law that he is indeed a real man, deserving of her hand in marriage.

Stats:         
WS 8
BS 7 (-2)
S 5
T 6 (+2)
Sp 7 (-1)
Br 6
Int    7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Sword, Shield, Leather armour

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Player:    GreatBigTree
Name:  Althion Griffoneer   
Short bio:  Althion's early life was spent plying his trade as a sailor on the high seas. More often than not, his adventures would lead to conflict with pirates. During one such exchange, his ship was set aflame. Seeing that the battle was lost, and knowing that his dark kin would show no mercy to any prisoners, he grabbed a mostly empty barrel of rye, and leapt overboard. After drifting for several days, and ensuring that his buoy would stay afloat by emptying it into his mouth, he washed ashore. With precious little in way of resources, he took to the life of an adventurer out of necessity. He hopes to someday buy a ship, and to hire a crew and return to the seas he feels are his true home...
Race: Elf

Stats:   
WS 7
BS 9 (-1)
S 5
T 4 (+1)
Sp 9 (-1)
Br 7
Int 7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Bow, 6 arrows, Sword, Leather armour   
Other abilities: +1 to surprise rolls

Request: Could I switch out to a spear, instead of a sword, and buy another handful of arrows? Assuming that spears allow someone to attack on a diagonal. I'm happy to poke someone in the side, while someone else is being punched in the face...

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
Request: Could I switch out to a spear, instead of a sword, and buy another handful of arrows? Assuming that spears allow someone to attack on a diagonal. I'm happy to poke someone in the side, while someone else is being punched in the face...

Nope. You only have 5 gold left. There is no wiggle-room in that sort of budget for that. However, once you are done with an adventure or two you can easily sell your sword and "upgrade" to a spear. More arrows are something you will have to get, even though there is a chance to retrieve lost arrows post-combat.
You could drop your armour to get a spear, but that would be a gamble. I would advice against it.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Ok, I'll stick with sword and bow... and armour. :)

So quick question... are the +/- bonuses already included in our profiles?

So I have BS 6(-1). Is it really 6 or is it 5?

Player:    Faitherun
Name: Thod 
Short bio: Thod always wanted to be the best tree cutter, just like his dad and his dad before him. He worked very hard to strengthen his body to be able and swing the large axes and fell the mighty trees. On his Felling day, when he was to cut down his first tree, bandits attacked the village. His father faced off against three men and, killing two, was slain by the third. Picking up one of the bandits large two-handed swords, Thod charged the bandits and helped drive them off.

Since that fateful day, Thod has rejected the peaceful woodcutter ways, and now travels around seeking to protect other innocents from the evils of the world.

Stats:   
WS 7
BS 6 (-1)
S 6
T 5 (+1)
Sp 8 (-1)
Br 7
Int 6
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment:    2-handed sword, Leather armour
Flawless logic.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
shouldnt his name be druss  ;) one of my favs kudos
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
They all want to be Druss, but Sieben was the guy who actually always got laid. Typical bard really  :P

Damn i miss David Gemmell. His last triology about the Trojan War is nothing short of brilliant.

Anyway let me introduce to you Gimli, son of Groin!

Player:    Lonewolf
Name: Gimli, son of Groin
Short bio: Gimli grew up, like most dwarfs, working and living in a mining settlement. When he came of age (with around 50 years) his father gave him, as it is tradition, his first own axe, a usefull tool in many situations, often employed for diplomatic purposes. And little Gimli might have stayed in his village, happily mining for ore for the rest of his life (which is a very decent dwarfish profession, after all the worth of a dwarf is often measured according to the size of his pickaxe and his ability to wield it), if not for a foreign visitor in Gimlis mine shaft. While Gimli didn't speak foreign, he could just make out that that big, loud and smelling green foreigner wanted Gimli to part with his gold (and possibly eat him, you never know with foreigners). Since Gimli wanted to keep his gold, he showed the foreigner some of the legendary dwarfish diplomacy, which is specially reserved for things trying to take away a dwarfs gold. A compromise was quickly found ( the foreigner lost both legs at knee height and his head while Gimli kept his gold).

Realizing, that he is naturally gifted in the art of dwarfish diplomacy, and that its application is even more fun than mining (if such a thing is even possible), Gimli decided to move out of his families home, to explore the world and to use his amazing diplomacy skills to earn some gold in the process.

Stats:   
WS 9
BS 8 (-2)
S 5
T 6 (+2)
Sp 5 (-1)
Br 8
Int 7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Axe, Shield, Leather armour   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:50:55 AM by Lonewolf »

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
So quick question... are the +/- bonuses already included in our profiles?

So I have BS 6(-1). Is it really 6 or is it 5?

You have 6 in your basic stat and -1 for your equipment, netting an end result of 5.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
We are missing Skoops6 but as we wait I might as well give a basic outline of how the rules work.

So there are two kinds of turns.

- Exploration
- Combat

These are governed by different sets of rules.

Exploration.

You can more up to 12 spaces.
You cannot move diagonally.
You can move "through" other heroes without penalty.
If you open a door or  round a corner your exploration turn ends if you spot any monsters.
If you end your movement in a new corridor you will automatically try to Spot any traps in the newly discovered space. You cannot search for traps, treasures or hidden doors in corridors.
If you are in a room with no creatures you can either search for traps, hidden doors or treasures.
Only one search for treasures can be performed per room, not once per hero.
Searching for treasures can result in nothing, treasure or something nasty. Be aware.
You can also retrieve lost thrown weapons and arrows, but the chances are not fantastically high. Things break when you shoot them at stuff.
If you enter a space where creatures are present and placed on the board I will roll for surprise and if you win (and you get a bonus for having an elf in your group) you get an advantage in placement. If you lose the monsters gain that advantage.

Combat
You can move up to your current Speed spaces.
You cannot move diagonally.
You cannot move "through" other heroes.
You may still open and close doors, explore new spaces, and so on, but you cannot search for anything while in combat.
If you come within 1 space of a creature that could attack you (that is, not in on its diagonal axis, but before, behind, or to the side) then you have entered its Death-zone and must stop. You cannot proceed passed it. The creature and you are Locked. Others can now pass the creature if there is space, as it is focused on you.
You may move and attack, or attack and move, but not move, attack, move.
You may not move and shoot, unless your weapon specifically permits it (like thrown weapons). Some weapons also require a turn of standing still and reloading, like crossbows. You can, however, shoot and then move.
You can only shoot things you can see, but you can shoot passed your friends, but with a risk of shooting them if your aim is not true. The closer you are to the target (but you need to be at least one space away) the easier you will hit your target.
You can move and use magic. Some magic requires you to be in the death zone of the target (healing, for instance, works like this). Many spells also require that the target is not in the deathzone of another at the time (you cannot heal a person still locked in combat, for example).
As GM I will handle the dicerolls to hit, fumble, critical, and wound, either way.
I will use your Fate-points to save your character's life if you have any left. You can also choose to enter combat saying "I will use a Fate-point in this combat to maximise my damage/minimize any damage I take". I will then spend a Fate-point if possible during the combat to do just that. Fate is restored once the adventure is over. getting additional Fate (above your starting 2) is hard.

Magic
Flames of the Phoenix - restores a target you can touch (and which is not engaged in combat) to its starting wounds.
Flames of Destruction - Target a space within your line of sight. All adjacent spaces (up to 3x3 squares) are engulfed in flame. Anything in these, creatures and heroes alike, suffer horrific damage.
Using magic uses a spell component. These are not super-costly, but cost about as much as a sword. Use only when needed.
A dwarf magician needs test against his/her Intelligence to cast spells and it is more expensive for him/her to learn new spells. This is countered by the fact that a dwarf magician can use some additional weapons and armour as opposed to the others, who can only use dagger and staff (and the runesword, but chances of finding one of those is about 0.00008333% per given room.

Sneak
A halfling (and some monsters) can use a Speed-test to sneak through the deathzone of a creature, passing through it as if the creature was already locked in combat. If the test fails the halfling is spotted and engaged in combat. A halfling can pass "through" heroes in combat without tests.

Did I miss anything in this initial briefing?

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
Sorry guys, I reached my download cap, and couldn't get on. I'll be more careful from now on.

Player:    Skoops6
Name:  Knee-High Nellin
Short bio:  Nellin is short, even by Halfling standards. He is so short, in fact, that it would probably be more accurate to call him a Quarterling. Being so vertically challenged came with its advantages, however. One day, Nellin's wheat farm was attacked by Uglies, seeking to steal the grain stores Nellin had harvested for winter. Nellin didn't particularly enjoy being hungry, and therefore could not oblige the uglies his grain. If there is one thing uglies are not known for, it is being observant. Therefore, none of the Invaders noticed Nellin when he approached them. He hamstrung them with his sickle and informed them that the grain was not theirs. Nellin took their gold, sold their weapons and bought himself a sword to replace his sickle. ever since then he has been repossessing items from travellers, leaving them with nothing but tales of a 3 foot thief when they make it back to town.
Race: Halfling

Stats:   
WS 7
BS 7
S 4
T 5 (+1)
Sp 7 (-1)
Br 7
Int 7
W 3
Fate 2

Equipment: Sword, Leather armour, Short bow + 6 arrows   
Gold: 10
Other abilities: Can Sneak
Would having another sword or dagger grant me another attack? if so, I would like to purchase one, if I have the money.
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
Would having another sword or dagger grant me another attack? if so, I would like to purchase one, if I have the money.

1. You have the money for an extra dagger.
2. You do not have the money for the skill for dual-wielding. You could still get an extra dagger to throw at people, but you still have a bow so that might be a bit redundant.