News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Luckyshot13’s Eldar Harlequins  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
Luckyshot13’s Eldar Harlequins
« on: January 3, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
New year, new project, old concept.

I'm an Eldar fan; it was the army that I collected when I discovered the hobby in the late ’90s. The last days of the 2nd Edition rules were underway, I was super-gluing ’white metal’ guardians, painting without an undercoat and buying £3 blister packs. Times have changed, sadly in the case of the latter, but it's still the Eldar army that inspires me the most. One of the oldest models I have is an original harlequin and the concept of a Harlequin army is one that I've wanted to get my teeth into since buying it.

Lots of people have built armies around are the harlequins. But why wouldn't you? A troupe of hyper-nimble, neuro-shredder totting, webway stalking dancers who protect the knowledge of the Eldar and darkest secrets of the 40k universe. I've decided that this year I want in on the fun.

As with all prospective Harlequin army builds a choice has to be made about which codex to pick and which models to use as a base for any conversions. I ended up selecting the Eldar codex as it allows me to pick up and play the army more easily than the fandex. It also allows me to build a Wraithlord and a Farseer, both of which I have Harlequin conversion ideas for. 

With that choice made my basic army list is:

Eldrad
Harlequin Troupe
Pathfinders
2 Squads of Jetbikes
2 Wraithlords

All told, it comes to around 1500 points.

So, the blog. The aim is to post a weekly update as a means of giving myself an incentive and hopefully inspiring one or two others. The updates will be split in two parts, separating the modelling and painting. I'll also try to focus in on the particular conversions or painting techniques I've used, some of which may be useful. If there's something you spot and want a few more pictures or some explanation please let me know and I'll add it in.

Week 1

Modelling

I've started off with the Pathfinders.

Parts used: Harlequin legs, Dire Avenger arms and Shuriken Catapults, Dark Eldar Jetbike Rider torsos and heads, all with a little greenstuff to finish.

To give a nice smooth finish to the cloaks I followed the following steps.

• Take a ball of greenstuff and place between two sheets of baking/greaseproof paper. Then using the handle of a scalpel roll out the greenstuff as you would pastry until it reaches the desired thickness.
  • Using the tip of a sharp, wet scalpel cut the paper and greenstuff ’sandwich’ into the desired shape.
  • Peel away the top layer of paper and then place the greenstuff in the desired location, applying slight pressure where it joins the model.
  • Peel away the remaining paper and allow the greenstuff to harden over 30 minutes.
  • Make any final adjustments to the shape of the cape such as curls at the end, rips, holes, etc before allowing the greenstuff to cure fully.

Painting

As it's the first week of the build I haven't started painting (failed already!) but I have added magnets to the bases of the models to make them easier to spray-paint/transport later on. They're embedded in a thin layer of cork, which makes sure that magnet is as flush with the bottom of the base as possible.

Hopefully that was useful to somebody; I don't claim to be an expert by any means but the Internet is great for sharing ideas so hopefully it gave a few people some inspiration. It would be great to hear any feedback and ideas, or if you'd like to see any more pictures or/more explanation then please post away.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 03:56:27 PM by Luckyshot13 »
Fear not the death brothers, for she is old and slow, and will never catch the wildrider host

Translator's note: Saim-Hann is pronounced Sam Hine (not Same Han)
Inquisitor's Note: Translators should learn more respect for their masters.

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
Re: Luckyshot13’s Eldar Harlequins
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
Looks great so far; not sure whether I like the faces (or rather their facelessness), but looking at the Shadowseer I guess it's "fluffy" enough. ;-)
Also one thing about modelling part: you might have provided a shot of their backs to show off how those cloaks better, because you can't really see much from the front.
Oh, how did you make the bases? I mean all those tiny bits of plastic - peeled /cut off from a sprue with an exacto or something else?

Will you be making any Mimes? Mimes are awesome, but I can't recall ever seeing them done, so that might be an interesting idea.

Also I don't think Eldrad really fits in the Harlequin theme; I've always associated Harlequin leaders with some sort of themed Avatars/ High Troupe Masters, but not Farseers.

I've always wanted to make an Harlequin army, but then I always remember that my regular Craftworld one isn't quite ready yet. Well, food for thought and such, one day the children of Cegorach shall have a place in my army lists too...

Can't wait to see you paint those beauties!
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
Week 2

Also one thing about modelling part: you might have provided a shot of their backs to show off how those cloaks better, because you can't really see much from the front.
I'll take some pictures and post them up next week.

Oh, how did you make the bases? I mean all those tiny bits of plastic - peeled /cut off from a sprue with an exacto or something else?
Unfortunately they're not that creative; I've used the GW 40K basing kit, sand and some spare Eldar bits. I enjoy building bases though, as you'll probably see as I post more pictures; you can be less precise and they can really add an extra dimension to a model.

Modelling

I've been working on the Jetbikes this week. I've added magnets to both the bases and the Jetbikes so I can mix and match.

Parts used: Harlequin torsos, Guardian Jetbike canopy and Shuriken Catapults, Dark Eldar Jetbike arms, legs and engines.

Painting

I've been painting a test miniature for the army this week. My original aim was to create a Blanch’esque’ harlequin but I don't think I'm there yet. I've used pigments on the base, which I'm happy with, and on the miniature, which has made it look a bit dirty so there's still more work to be done. I've got some highlighting to do, a spot colour to choose and some freehand to paint. But hey, at least it's progress.

Hopefully you found my ramblings a little bit interesting. It would be great to hear any feedback and ideas you have. I've bought the model I'm using as the basis of my Avatar; so expect some pictures of that next week.
Fear not the death brothers, for she is old and slow, and will never catch the wildrider host

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:05 AM »
Fantastic work. The jetbikes look particularly excellent. Looking forward to following this log. :)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:17:53 AM »
Week 3

Apologies for the lack of updates over the past two weeks. I’ve been busy setting up a new modelling/painting area. However I have managed to get some hobby done.

As promised here are some pictures of the back of the pathfinders.

Modelling

I’ve been working on my harlequin avatar model these past two weeks. I’m happy’ish’ with the finish but I may go back and rework the face. The original concept was to have the Avatar rune as a visual cue but I‘m not sure that it worked; it looks a bit clunky to me. I will probably go back and try my hand at sculpting the more traditional leering harlequin mask. What I am happy with is the pose and trailing cloth, both of which, as you can hopefully see, are nods to the Harlequin Troupe Leader model.

Parts used: Eldar Wraithlord, plastic-card and brass.

Painting

Move along, nothing to see here.

I have tried some spot colours on my test model but I’m still not happy with the scheme. I have a few more spare harlequin models to use so I’ll be starting afresh with another attempt soon.

Once again it would be great to hear any feedback and ideas you have.

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Week 4

Just some modelling to update you all with this week (once again).

Modelling

I’ve finished the first Wraithlord model. Just like my Avatar I may go back and rework the face but I’m happy with the pose.

Parts used: Eldar Wraithlord, pure and simple.

I’ve been working on a number of other models but none are completely finished yet, so I’ve posted a work in progress shot. The models you can see include my version of a Harlequin ’Eldrad’, 8 Harlequins with Harlequins’ kisses (in 2 parts) and 3 Jetbikes. Hopefully I’ll be able to post the completed models next week.

Parts used: Wood Elf Spellweaver, Eldar Harlequins and the Jetbikes are as before.

Once these models are complete I’ll be about half way through the modelling and converting process. After this I’ll have 6 Jetbikes, 5 Pathfinders, a Shadowseer, a Death Jester and a Wraithlord to go.

Still lots of painting to be getting on with!

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 03:57:41 PM »
Week 5

Modelling

I’ve finished the models that I posted work in progress shots for last week.

Now that I’m at the halfway point of the modelling stage I thought it would be a good time to reflect and think about what I want the final army list to look like. So I’ve posted a preliminary list on the Eldar Tactics, Strategies and Army Lists board for discussion. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:01:52 PM by Luckyshot13 »

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:02 AM »
nice work.
I especially like the modifications to the jetbikes, they look neither Harlequin nor CWE nor DE, very unique.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
Very nice conversions. And inventive use of harlequins torsos/legs!

The wraithlord with the brightlance and EML. Did you magnetise the arms or are they permanent?

I have some hybrid DE/CWE jetbikes like that too and they are great.

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
Week 6

The wraithlord with the brightlance and EML. Did you magnetise the arms or are they permanent?

They’re permanent, I’m pretty set on the Brightlance and EML combo so I’ve gone for the option of pinning them for strength instead.

Modelling

Nothing major to report this week, just a bit of a work in progress update.

I bought another Wraithlord and decided to have a go at sculpting the face. I was reasonably happy with the result so I’ve gone back and reworked the Avatars ’mask’. Next job will be to rework the first Wraithlord. I’ve started work on the next 5 pathfinders/rangers and finally finished off the construction of the first set by adding a death jester style blade to their weapons and filing away the untidy remnants of the conversion work.

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
Week 7

Modelling

I’ve completed the second Wraithlord and have gone back and reposed the first, although I still need to sculpt a new ’mask’. I guess having the ability to go back over and rework a model is one advantage of not having started the painting side of things yet. I think I’m going to buy a third Wraithlord in the coming weeks as well; I’ve really enjoyed converting them.

I’ve also made a little bit of progress with the next 5 pathfinders/rangers but not enough to warrant a picture.

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »
This really looks amazing. Very curious to see other models made into harlies.
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 08:34:11 AM »
Week 8

Modelling

I’ve not had the chance to post any updates recently but I have been making progress with the build. So much so in fact that I only have 2 jobs left: building the second unit of Jetbikes and some tidying up of my swooping hawks with some Greenstuff. Hopefully Ill have this done by the end of March and then, finally, get started on painting.

Swooping Hawks

Kits used – Harlequins, Dark Eldar Scourges, Brass Rod and Plastic Card.

The bases have been built using the GW 40K basing kit.

Support Weapon

Kits used – Harlequins, Eldar Support Weapon, Dark Eldar Jetbike and Greenstuff.

Pathfinders

Kits used – Harlequins, Dark Eldar Jetbikes, Dire Avengers, and Greenstuff.

Wraithlords

Kits used – Eldar Wraithlord, Brass Sheet, and Greenstuff.

Harlequin Jetbikes

Kits used – Harlequins, Dark Eldar Jetbikes, Eldar Jetbikes, and Greenstuff.

Harlequins

Kits used – Harlequin Shadowseer, Harlequin Death Jester, and Liquid Greenstuff.

I added the tip of a Harlequins’ Kiss to the Shadowseer’s staff for WYSIWYG purposes. I felt that it would look more streamlined and less ’bolted on’ than adding a Harlequins’ Kiss to the Shadowseer’s sleeve

I’m torn between the Jetbikes and the Swooping Hawks for my favourite unit so far but let me know what you think, all feedback is appreciated.

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
Week 9

It's been a long time (a month!) since I last posted an update, I haven't been resting on my laurels though.

I've finally finished off the build and have made a start on undercoating the army.

Modelling

Harlequin Jetbikes

The final unit I needed to finish off was the second unit of six jetbikes. I used the same parts as with my previous unit but this time a converted a couple of the harlequin torsos to create a bit of variety between the two units.

Troupe Leader

I've been able to include all of the currently available stock harlequin models (bring on the rumoured new Solitaire model) in the army so far, bar one.

I've put together a spare Harlequin Troupe Leader as a bit of a treat. You'll have probably noticed that I've used a spare metal sword rather than the Finecast one; the logic behind this being that it allowed me to easily file down the edge and make the sword blade sharper. I always find that on a 'showcase' model this sort of detail adds that extra bit of quality.

Painting

I've started undercoating the army. So far I've finished the Farseer, Avatar, 10 Harlequins, 6 Rangers and 2 Wraithlords.

I have the luxury of an airbrush so I've undercoated the models in a zenithal lighting style, using three shades of grey.

Here's an example of how they've turned out:

And finally, as a parting shot, I've included a picture of the army as a whole.

I'm still not completely decided on how I'm going to tackle the paint scheme. At the moment I'm leaning towards a range of warm colours, avoiding blue but tomorrow I be leaning the other way; at some point I'll just have to commit.

As always please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has any advice on how I can go about committing to a paint scheme please let me know!

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
Update 10

Painting

The undercoating continues; I still have to finish the 5 swooping hawks but the rest of the army is complete.

Harlequin Jetbikes

I've finished off the undercoating the bikes and completed the bases. For the bases I base coated with greys, greens and creams before using the Forgeworld pigments to create the dusty rust effect.

As you can see I've gone for a rusted, Martian junkyard style colour scheme. I'm hoping the dusty and drab feel the bases will contrast and complement the vibrant colours of the harlequins. I do have to admit though, I'm still not certain of which way to go with the harlequins, I've yet to make a definitive choice of whether I want cool colours such as blues and greens (which will contrast the base) or whether I want to continue with the warm colour scheme and choose yellows, reds and oranges.

As always please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has any advice, please let me know!

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
I base coated with greys, greens and creams before using the Forgeworld pigments to create the dusty rust effect.
You might elaborate a bit on that part, especially since I don't know how the rest of the community here, but I for one have no idea what exactly you did to achieve that brilliant Martian colour (or where exactly did the green basecoat go, since I can't see the barest traces of it.)

As far as painting goes I think that you ought to try it out on test models - do one in blues and greens and another one in yellows and oranges. Even if you decide for one scheme you won't waste a model, cause noone will really notice anything odd colour-wise in a Harlequin army ;-)
Personally I think that the bases are rich enough in warm colours that you should use some cooler tones; GW actually did a quite nice job on their Harlequins, so you might look there for inspirations.
Or, alternatively, instead of going for either a warm or cool scheme, you might vary it across units - for examples paint Swooping Hawks and Jetbikes in cooler tones while going for warmer ones on the basic infantry.

Whichever way you go I'm sure it will look at least as awesome as the stuff already posted, so just keep up the good work and show those Mon'Keighs that Cegorach's chosen are not to be trifled with! :D
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Big Bad Wolf

• nomnomnomnom
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Eldar, Dark Angels, Daemons
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
I absolutely love the conversion work you've done!

As far as a paint scheme, I think with harlequins you shouldn't peg yourself into one color scheme (warm or cool) and just go for an eclectic color palette.  Think about their background, history, and role within the Eldar realms and it's pretty easy to see why there would be a lack of cohesion among their colors.  They each have different roles to play in their performances depicting both 'good' and chaos characters. 

If I had to do a scheme for the army, I would break it down into each unit per scheme and identify them as traveling troupes that stick together that way. And then if I absolutely had to stick to warm or cool, I'd probably go with cool just because it seems more vibrant and exciting and suited to harlies :)
Sunrise Village Games Workshop ~ Puyallup, WA
Home of the SunrisV Gaming Club
"Forever on the Dawn of War!"

Rule #2 - Double Tap