News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: MacGyvork's Workshop: Space Marines ~ Update- Thunderhawk gunship  (Read 1702 times)

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
Greetings and welcome to my Space Marines Blog  ;D

My History:

I have recently just gotten back into the hobby again after selling all my models and going on a university exchange to Taiwan. A lot has changed during my time away and i recently acquired a Space Marines army to paint up and sell. At any time, if you like a model that you see and wish to purchase it, please let me know via a PM. 

I decided that i would start up a thread about the painting steps i take to:

a) Derive a colour scheme
b) Experiment with the new techniques and colour theory
c) Help out beginner painters with my modest skill and hopefully shake off all the rust before i reach my character models so i can do a decent job !

Hopefully this project will inspire others to do so, as well.

I have changed my choice of paints from Citadel to Vallejo as I find that Vallejo colours can come in quite a variety of gamuts.

Aim:

1) To paint an army to the best of my ability with the goal to improve on technique with every brushstroke
2) To learn more about colour theory and to get more into the technical side
3) To have a painted army achieved in the least amount of time.
4) To give a step by step account for what i do when i paint special characters.
5) To have fun ! Painting should be an exciting and enjoyable aspect of the hobby – not a menial task.

Weapons of Choice:

Airbrush
An ever increasing array of Vallejo paints
Weathering powders
Oil paints
Plastic medical gloves
Blu-tac
Corks
Hobby knives
Files
Windsor & Newton Series 7 brushes in 000x2, 00, 0, 1 & 2
Digital Camera  - For all those updates
6.25" curved sharp tweezer
5pc single ended dental pick set
Dremel 421 polishing compound
3/4" brass wheel brushes
32pc needle file set
1/4" x 9/16" cone rubber polisher

Last but not least my 'Palette o' Doom'

A standard artists palette as pictured here:

The Task Ahead:

Marines ! Although mainly a Xenos enthusiast and not much of a Marine player ( I would feel outstandingly dirty ), I am very excited to have the chance to try some painting techniques on the Marines that would feel somewhat out of place on Orks. Unlike my personal projects, this will be a straight forward painting project and nothing more.

Here are some pictures of what I will be working on:

I am really excited to paint the following groups of models. I believe I can really do a stellar job  ;D

I do understand that there is a bit of a mismatch of models in there, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists and Ultramarines but fear not ! This is not an army that I will play with, but an army that I will practice my techniques on and sell. So at any point that you are interested in any models that I have painted in this blog, please PM me  ;)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:54:49 PM by ΦMacGyvorkΦ »

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
Re: MacGyvork's Workshop: Space Marines ~{Update- Thunderhawk gunship}
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Pictures speak louder than words I guess:

Both bags. That is a lot of resin !

Bag 1

Bag 2

Approximate size of the gunship. I put the pilot there for size reference

Stay tuned as I post more WIP pictures of this bad boy while I juggle all my projects.