News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New 2K list for an old Warboss  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
New 2K list for an old Warboss
« on: August 9, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
So thinking of knocking the rust off of the PK and picking this game back up after a 2 year hiatus.  Always been fond of tons of boys so what do you think?

HQ
WB - PK
Weirdboy - Da jump

Elites
Tankbustas X10 Nob (RL/BC)
Trukk - RL

Troops
3 Mobs of 30 Shootas (3X BS in each Mob, Nob Shoota/Choppa)

2 Mobs of 12 CH/SL Boyz (Trukk, Nob w/PK)

Fast
 2 Mobs of 3 Deffcoptas (rokkits)

HS
2 Mobs of 13 Lootas

By my math it comes out to 1992 points.  What I was unsure of is if the Nob in a mob is only 6 points or 6 points plus the 6 I paid for the boy he replaced.  I went with he was only 6 points total plus his PK. 

Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
Re: New 2K list for an old Warboss
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
Hi Ollieb, welcome back.

I'm a bit new here, about a year, but play with the greenskins.

You are right about the nob being only 6 points.  The upgrade to a boss nob is free this edition.  And fielding a bunch of boyz is a viable tactic again.  I haven't played a battle bigger than 1,500 points yet this edition, so what are you thinking for your tactics here?

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
A strong point in the center with the lootas.  One Shoota mob on each side of them.  Thinking it would be funny to blip a 30 boy strong shoota mob around the table with the weirdboy in support of a trukk mob.  The coptas are just to soften up light armor.  TBs will keep armor away from the static mobs.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
Seems like a reasonable set up to me but I would be wary of staying too static.  You definitely want to pressure your opponent and get into close combat with them.  It looks like the first wave is one squad of boyz and 2 trukks to tie up your opponent while the other 2 big squads march up the field with the warboss?

Da jumpin' a mob of 30 shoota boyz is supper fun.  Check out the battle reports posted by my friend Wyddr to see the fun I had with that.  Using Trukks to add pressure to your opponent is a good idea to go along with it.  I'd agree da jumpin' shoota boyz over slugga boyz.  You get 60 shots off instead of 30, which is better if you fail the charge afterward.  If you do charge, it's still a possible 61 attacks, which is pretty good too.

I would recommend a Big Mek on a Bike w/ a KFF if you can squeeze it in.  It helps protect the Tankbustas/Trukk from the shooting they will draw and the Big Mek can repair the trukk, which all helps keep you rolling longer.

I don't have any first hand experience with Koptas this edition but they look overpriced with rokkits because of their poor ballistic skill.  Don't forget, they have free bombs that can be used to inflcit mortal wounds on units they fly over.  I think that is where a lot of their increased points come from.  I think I might try them out with Twin Big Shootas, bombs, and a killsaw.  Use them to fly them over infantry for a bombing run and try to assault vehicles to tie them up and keep them from shooting my boyz.

I loved Lootas in the last edition and they are reasonably priced and versatile in this edition and can bring the dakka.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »
Is the Green Torpedo (WB/BIKE/PK/Attack squig)a viable model in 8th?  I used to use mine to cause tons of havok before he would get killed.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
Is the Green Torpedo (WB/BIKE/PK/Attack squig)a viable model in 8th?  I used to use mine to cause tons of havok before he would get killed.

Pick the right targets and he'll work even better these days! Character targeting rules are good for loner characters.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Looks like a good list, but I would add in two fast attack force orgs (called spearhead detachments) and make all those coptas squadrons of one. Thats right; six green barons going amok behind enemy lines.

As for the other two HQs go with meks with KFFs riding in the trucks. Sure you will have to drop a few boys for the points but is worth it.

Let us know how you fare with green tide in this edition, so go get stuck in.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »
A few things to consider.   A KFF mek is almost always a good source of a save but running large squads of boys it might be harder to keep the whole group in the bubble....

but some auto includes to consider is a Painboy...  He does not need the full unit to be within X inches so all your boys getting FNP is pretty much priceless.

Another new auto include for me is a Nob w/ Waaaagh banner.   for little cost you gain a lot making large squads on foot even better.

I would drop a unit of deffkoptas to get both as they weigh in just under 150 points and make your army that much stronger.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:45 AM »
This list is exactly the reason I started a Guard army.

When I thought about 180 Orks, my next thought was, I really want put a Guard army against it!

I hope it's successful for you.