News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Confusion about Gretchin  (Read 468 times)

Offline JimmyHatfield

• Ork Boy
  • It looks like that guy fell on a can of red paint
Confusion about Gretchin
« on: February 4, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
Upon reading the Errata for the Orks on the official GW website, it appears I should remove the 'mob rule' special rule for Gretchin.  This means the LD of the squad is a base 7(runtherd)  How do you guys get your gretchin to not break at their first casualties?  Runtherders cannot take boss poles so that means that after taking 25% casualties they have a great chance at fleeing the table.  I know the Runtherders also have squighounds to keep the Gretchin in line, I'm just wondering if they are worth plopping down on an objective if all the opponent has to do is look at them to make the gretchin break. 

Some tactical ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: Confusion about Gretchin
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
RUntherders can reroll failed LD via squighounds. Joining an IC to the unit increases their leadership. Placing them in cover makes them somewhat resilient. Those would be the first things to consider when thinking about how you'd like to use them.

Offline OldCrow

• Mekboy
Re: Confusion about Gretchin
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
Hey Jimmy

When placing your objective put it out of LOS and preferably in a building of some type.  Make the gretchin go to ground every time someone looks at them.  This will usually give them a 3+ cover save which is pretty good.  It will be hard to remove them.  That being said if your finding they are still getting beaten up give them a squighound.

They are not fighters.  They are there so you don't really have to worry about your home objective.  Ork mobs tend to be importent for killing stuff and are usually a significant investment pointswise.  They are not suitable for holding the home objective.  Grots in cover are pretty good at taking a battering from shooting but in CC they will get walloped, if you take grots for that purpose you need to make sure your army hits the enemy hard enough that they don't have anything spare to contest yours.  Taking grotz can be argued to change how objective games for orks are played.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!
OldCrow