News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Batman ***Potential Spoilers***  (Read 668 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
The Batman ***Potential Spoilers***
« on: March 6, 2022, 12:40:01 AM »
Alright, I need to get this off my chest!

This movie was beslubbering great!  I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but then the more I thought about it afterwards the more I came to realize just how good it was.

• Sound track does a fantastic job of building the right tension
  • For a movie called "The Batman," there is a refreshingly small amount of Bruce Wayne in it.  90% of the time, he is Batman
  • I liked some of the small details like how in previous movies we had always seen that they had put black make-up around Batman's eyes, but if he took the mask off then it was gone.  This time, not only do they show him still having the make-up on, but they also show him applying it.  Small, insignificant detail; but fantastic that it was included.
  • Collin Ferrell is unrecognizable as the Penguin, which is always a good thing
  • The Riddler is suitably terrifying and masterfully portrayed to the point that I think he actually rivals Heath Ledger's Joker as the best Batman villain.
  • I want that beslubbering Batmobile in my life!
  • They did an amazing job at making Batman intimidating with just the music; and the slow, heavy booted tread emerging from the shadows.
  • The cinematography was astonishingly good at just drawing you in.
  • Robert Pattison did a great job as Batman, but his Bruce Wayne felt a bit flat.  I'm alright with that, though, because it really comes across that his true persona is Batman, and that this is early enough in his career that he hasn't quite managed to disassociate the two identities yet.
  • "The World's Greatest Detective" is shown as being an actual detective.  Absolute win in my books.

I am definitely going to see this a second time in theatres, that's for sure.  I'm sure there is just more details that will get picked up on the second viewing. 

If I had a complaint, it's that the movie did seem to drag on.  There were a couple of times near the end where I thought they would roll the credits, but it just rolled into another scene.  That's really my only complaint. 
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: The Batman ***Potential Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2022, 07:19:29 AM »
Sounds good, it might be enough to drive me out into theaters. :D

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2022, 10:39:18 AM »
I keep hearing good things, but I'm just so tired of Batman in general that it's a tough sell. And 2.5 hours? Hmmmmm...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
I refuse to go to the theatre until they finally give me Top Gun 2.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2022, 08:09:36 PM »
would have been better without the political references...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
I keep hearing good things, but I'm just so tired of Batman in general that it's a tough sell. And 2.5 hours? Hmmmmm...

Yeah, that's been my attitude as well, and why I've not really gone out to see any of the other big movies this year or last (with the sole exception of Dune). I've just not felt excited for any of them. But this movie keeps getting high praises, so I might rethink things.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 08:33:44 PM »
I finally got around to actually see the movie during Easter, and I had a blast. I don't want to oversell it or anything, but basically it's a pretty good thriller.

The focus on actual investigation was a welcome focus. This is a major aspect of the comics that often get sorta glossed over in movies.

I couldn't help myself thinking about the worldbuilding they did in this movie. For example, it's made very clear that this is a version of Batman that is early in his career, stated to be in his second year of crimefighting, which brings me to the comics:

This movie is 100% inspired by the limited series "The Long Halloween", which has a loosely similar plot. The Long Halloween also inspired Nolan's Batman movies, so it's pretty influential.

Something the movie and tLH share is that they sorta show Batman slowly transitioning from fighting regular street crime and conventional organized crime, to fighting his rogues gallery of costumed weirdos. I won't go into too much detail, but it's a neat detail, and frankly I've always loved seeing Batman battle actual, non-costumed criminals like the mafia and such, or indeed serial killers and the like. Out of all the costumed superheroes out there, he is one of the more well-suited for it.

So yeah. It's a good 'un.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 01:47:59 AM »
FWIW, this gets a solid 5-6/10. There are some truly exceptional bits to it--some of the active, for example, is stellar--but overall I felt it to be underwhelming.

With that said, Sir_Godspeed seems to have a better grasp of the movie, so perhaps that's the better perspective to listen to. All I would add to it is that you might have a better experience if you don't expect too much.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 08:21:50 AM »
Yeah, as I touched on, it's more of an action/crime thriller moreso than a superhero spectacle, as it were.