News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 - Ult-Red Marines CAD - Tons of Pictures! [Update Apr 15, 2016]  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Hi Folks,

Master Lomandalis has informed me that there's a tournament in the Greater Ingersoll Area, so I'm planning on going. It's 1850 points, and because I hate painting and A: Bought models I thought were cool for Blood Angels and B: Don't have much painted units to choose from, I'll be bringing the following list.

[FYI: I'm not looking for criticism of my painting skills, modest as they are. I dislike painting, but I like the end result so painting is a job for me. I do a careful job to make sure the details are crisp. Base coat and wash, with a gloss sealer and it's good enough for the table, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and some of the bases need some flock. Need to go buy some.]

Also, given my recent battle report, I wanted to show that I am capable of painting... just not those models. :)

Ult-Red Marines - CAD

245 - Captain, Chapter Master, Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Bike, The Shield Eternal

140 - Bikes [5]: 2x Grav Gun, Melta Bombs

Just primed for now...Converted from Dark Vengeance Bikers. CM has had a shield added, new helmet, and a Termie PF [for extra impressiveness] with the shouder cut down so that a BA shoulder pad would fit. Also, I removed about 30 DA emblems. Seriously, we know you're DA's. Says the guy with Blood Drops everywhere.

75 - Scouts [5]: Camo Cloaks, Bolters, Combi-Plasma

Sniper Rifles cut down to Bolter Size. Converted a Combi-Plasma from SR and Plasma Pistol. Added a cloak to sarge, as the kit comes with 4 cloaked guys and one without. I mean, beslubbering retarded. I dislike these kits, but love the rules.

Sorry about the lighting, not much I can do with my available resources. Damned cloaks!

135 - Tactical [5]: Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma w/ Rhino: Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

Converted Combi-Plasma from Bolter and Plasma Pistol. Added BA shoulders to the Sarge and Special Weapon.

135 - Tactical [5]: Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma w/ Rhino: Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

Converted Combi-Plasma from Bolter and Plasma Pistol. Added BA shoulders to the Sarge and Special Weapon.

265 - Legion of the Damned [8]: Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Combi-Plasma, Power Fist

Converted Combi-Plasma from Bolter and Plasma Pistol. Converted Plasma Cannon from Death Company and PC Dev Kit. Added a Plasmagun to a DC for the last minor conversion. This was my first Combi-Plas, I was quite pleased with it.

225 - Assault Terminators [5]: 5x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield

Started out as Tactical Termies from the Deathstorm Box. Bitz ordered some DA Storm Shields before winning an Auction for BA Shields. Decided to use the DA shields anyway, keep the BA shields for Characters and maybe some Vanguard Vets in the Future.

230 - Dreadnought [2]: 2x Assault Cannons, 1x Heavy Flamer

"Furioso" is a conversion from an Assault on Blackreach Dread. Lots of little things, like the chest decorations, and a Wing on the PF arm. The original had wings on both arms... but Righty got subbed out for an Assault Cannon. No more wing bits to even things out. Had to mod the top to fit a set of now-useless Magna Grapples. The DC Dread had an Assault Cannon added.

115 - Stormtalon Gunship: Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher

[I still have to buy this. It's my reward for finishing painting everything else!]

164 - Assault Squad [7]: 7x Jump Pack, 2x Flamer, Veteran Sergeant, Eviscerator

Check out that Veteran Sergeant! He's a Death Company Thunder Hammerer with the head cut off and replaced by 1.5 chainswords. Hard to see, but there are blood drops running down the side that made sizing a slight bit tricky.

200 - Storm Raven: Twin-Linked Lascannon, Twin-Linked Multi Melta, 4x Storm Strike Missiles

Work in Progress, but almost done. I didn't want to piss around with painting the inner details. I dislike painting this model plenty as it is. I put two or three layers of blue wash on the INSIDE of the glass, then painted Ceramite White on top of the blue wash which winds up being the innermost layer of paint, once assembled.

Major conversion, in moving the wings forwards. I kind of botched the one wing join... but most people don't even notice that the wings are moved, so I guess that's that.

I have no real wiggle room, with the time frame. I just wanted to post some pictures and a list. I certainly don't expect to win with it, but it will be a chance to play a bunch of games in one day, and maybe meet some new people, so that's always fun!

The general strategy, and it's worked for me a couple times, is just to cluster objectives as best I can. Dump everything into that area, and then be tough enough to resist being smited. Anything gets close, I have quite a few options for punching it. Believe it or not, it has worked passably well when we've limited IK / WK to no more than one. Time to see the Tourney scene!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:01:02 PM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: 1850 - Ult-Red Marines CAD - Tons of Pictures! [Good to go now]
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:08 AM »
Looks good, and those are some shiny marines lol.

And just fyi, it's the Waterloo region, not greater Ingersoll.  I don't think anyone has ever called Ingersoll great lol :p
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
The GIA spreads from London to K/W, to Stratford to Tilsonburg. The term's been catching on. :)

Gloss varnish, all the way. Super easy highlights!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »
The GIA spreads from London to K/W, to Stratford to Tilsonburg. The term's been catching on. :)
Not 'round here it hasn't lol.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 1850 - Ult-Red Marines CAD - Tons of Pictures! [Update Apr 15, 2016]
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
Once you start hanging out with the Cool Kids, you'll hear it more often.

Posting an update, Storm Raven is complete. If anyone's interested, I did nothing to the red paint, except a coat of sealer. I think the gloss really makes the colours pop, and helps to create natural highlights along edges, which improves detail definition. If you look at the front thrusters, under the cockpit [Tee-hee! Pit.] and the hard edges beside the cockpit, you can see some gradual highlight effects that are created by the way glossy sealers work.

It takes basecoat, wash, drybrush, 2nd drybrush to a nice pop, without a lot of effort. I dislike painting vehicles more than infantry [need to put TWO extra steps into painting those large surfaces!] so I really like the "better" result without any extra effort.

Also, the bikes are now WIP. Yellow base coat and parchment base coats applied. If you look at the bike in the back right, you can see he's duller than the rest. I put a coat of Reikland Fleshshade on him, before I remembered that I put RFS on the yellow, and parchment, and gold details too... so I could save some time if I did that after I put the basecoats on the other parts.

That said, gloss sealer takes that dull red and transforms it into the reds you see on my other infantry models. :)