News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Formations  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Formations
« on: March 5, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
It pains me to have to ask this but here it goes. Since 7th has come out, the formation/detachments has really confused me. Now, today I finally got the new dex and for most parts am pretty tickled with it. What I don't get, if I take the royal court as primary I can then take the other units I want in a combined arms detachment, correct? Or do I have to use the ones the put in this really pretty tome?

For instance:
Royal court (full kit)

3 units of 15 warriors
2 units of immortals
2units of praetorians
6 wraiths
5 scarabs
unit of 3 spiders

This is a for instance, no points value just example.

Also, if you take the court, do they have to stay together or can they be attached individually to other units?

Thanks from this old dog trying to learn new tricks.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2015, 06:08:12 PM by Dread »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
Re: Formations
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
Individual Formations will have assorted "Restrictions" on their assorted usage. For example, "Each unit in this formation must have a minimum number of models", or "the units in this formation may not take Dedicated Transports", etc. If you're running a Battle Forged army, then you can combine a CAD and a Formation (or multiple Formations, gaming circle permitting) without issue.

If you play a Decurion, then any formations you take in the Decurion get both their individual benefits as well as the benefits of the Decurion itself. Any of the Formations can be taken independently of a Decurion.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »
If I did understand your question yes you can. The combined arms detachement is a fall back detachements that any armi can fall back to. you can either chose the one you have in the dex, therefore gaining the adavantage it procurs, hammer of wrath and waagh every turn for ork as an example, or get the combined arms that GWS give in the rules book giving you obective secured. giving this if you decide to pick one part as you spec detachement if I may say, you can have alllies (same race no problem) with the conbined detachement rules. just think about marking what squad are with what detachement some how a paint touch there or there, a marker on the socle, so that you can know who have what bonus.
Be carefull as you cannot overlap both. meaning you can"t have objective secure on the same unit as the ork charge (yeah it's the only one i know sry about that ;) )

did that answerd the quetion or did i completly fired on the side?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful, both of you. I see how this works now, whew.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
It pains me to have to ask this but here it goes. Since 7th has come out, the formation/detachments has really confused me. Now, today I finally got the new dex and for most parts am pretty tickled with it. What I don't get, if I take the royal court as primary I can then take the other units I want in a combined arms detachment, correct? Or do I have to use the ones the put in this really pretty tome?

For instance:
Royal court (full kit)

3 units of 15 warriors
2 units of immortals
2units of praetorians
6 wraiths
5 scarabs
unit of 3 spiders

This is a for instance, no points value just example.

Also, if you take the court, do they have to stay together or can they be attached individually to other units?

Thanks from this old dog trying to learn new tricks.

They can be split apart since they are ICs, and the formation has no restrictions. However, your list is illegal (or technically unbound). The royal court does not count as your HQ choice, so taking a Combined Arms Detachment (your normal force org chart) you are missing your HQ choice.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:58:25 AM »
AHHH! Thanks for that. That helps out bunches.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:37 AM »
Should also mention this applies to all formations and detachments. Units from formations do not count towards the FOC of CADs, detachments, or formations (or any combination of).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
Got it and made adjustments.