News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: restarting Necrons  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
restarting Necrons
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
Hi all!

I haven't played necrons at all since the new dex has come out and am totally lost. I've gotten in a few games with my nids, so 6th isn;t my issue, it's the changes to the army and the dex.

here's what I have for models:

2x destroyer lords
2x walking lords
6x old metal Destroyers
35x scarabs
60x warriors
5x 'immortals' (converted warriors dual wielding flayers)
6x metal wraiths (3 unassembled)
6x tomb spyders

my old lists consisted of a either:
 2x bug zapper lords or 1 bug zapper and a walking orb lord
lots of warriors
maxed Sacarabs (with attached lords if they're in the list)
max Spyders (would do the lord + spyder+scarab wound trick)

Basically plod forward with warriors, spyders providing cover/interceptions, CC protection. Scarabs would fly forward and tarpit or try to tank hunt (yay disruption fields!). a pretty basic playstyle, but it worked for me. A very non marine area, mostly daemons/dark eldar/tau/orks/one marine guy.

Aside from the butchering of the fluff and feel of Necrons (I won;t go into it), is my style of play viable still?

Just getting a copy of the 'dex as we speak, so I'll be looking at it for the first time.

Thanks!

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
Re: restarting Necrons
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
you defo have enough to get a decent ish starting list for a few games take 2 d lords with wraith unit 2 scarab units and your spiders  then add troops and more normal lords to help the warrior squads out play a few games and see what u like and what your missing

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »
Well, its a nice fund but based on the old codex. Here is what I would do:

HQ
2x destroyer lords

Troops
3x 10 Warriors in Night Scythes
10 Immortals

FA
6 Wraiths
5 Destroyers
10 Scarabs

HS
2x3 tomb spyders
1x Doom Scythe

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
why flyers?

Will a footbased force work still? I'm thinking:

Overlord

12x Warriors
12x Warriors

9x Scarabs
9x Scarabs

3x Spyders
3x Spyders

use the Scarabs and Spyders as CC protection and shislds and just haul forwards.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2013, 04:06:10 AM »
Well, a foot based force is hard to pull off. There are enemy units like beasts which move fast, 12'', ignore difficult terrain and so will be in your end zone in turn 2.

Flyers are amazing, in particular, Night and Doom Scythes. With Night Scythes, you can drop the units where you want them, and Doom Scythes make serious damage to tanks and TEQ.

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
True, but I can use the scarabs and spyders to sheild my warriors from anything quick like Beasts, drop pods, etc

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
While I think a foot list could work, I think what you've posed isn't practical. Any sort of flyer will just run you out of town because you'd only have the two short/medium range Warrior units to shoot at them. Then you have to magically hit them, and then whittle away hull points to send them careening into the ground.

That being said I don't think there are enough guns in the first place. Some Heavy Destroyers might fill the void but still if you end up having trouble with fliers you'll need to think about vehicles to get the job done.

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
I guess I'm still in 5th Ed mode. I've never played a game vs flyers and my local meta isn't really marine heavy (we have 1, the rest is DE, Nids, Caron's and Daemons)

Offline syth773

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
One thing I will say is that necrons have some of the better vehicles in game.  Almost all our vehicles got 3 structure points (including our transports) and the monolith is probably the most durable vehicle in the game currently (gotta love the jink rule  ;D ).

I would honestly recommend trying to get a vehicle or two, necrons have a very good selection, it's hard to go wrong with any of them.  I would recommend starting with either a monolith, ghost ark or annihalation barge.  Fliers are great as well they just don't really have much synergy with the rest of your force, just use them as extra firepower to knock out important enemy units.

also, USE TOMB SPYDERS!  I consider them to be the most cost efficient unit in the game.  Take at least 1 unit of scarabs and 3 tomb spyders.  turn 1 you get 3 free scarabs added to your existing swarm.  that gives you 3 nasty close combat beasts to deal with any fast moving assault troops that might try and hit your guys early as well as a fast moving tarpit/vehicle killer with your scarabs.

a lot depends on what kinds of opponents you go up against.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
syth, first and foremost the rulebook FAQ clearly states that Heavy Skimmers do not get a Jink save, sad indeed for our increasingly less sturdy Monolith. Secondly it was a lot of our vehicles have more then the "standard" number of structure points and pretty good armor to boot.

Otherwise I agree with your points :)

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:38 AM »
my mate plays necrons and so do some peeps at the LGS. the ones that play footslogging have atleast one stalker in the list. i find them really annoying and effective. high armour and helps make your shooting more effective! so i would consider playtesting them out and maybe keep a spyder near by just in case it needs repairs or something to help it out in combat.
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »
also, USE TOMB SPYDERS!  I consider them to be the most cost efficient unit in the game.  Take at least 1 unit of scarabs and 3 tomb spyders.  turn 1 you get 3 free scarabs added to your existing swarm.  that gives you 3 nasty close combat beasts to deal with any fast moving assault troops that might try and hit your guys early as well as a fast moving tarpit/vehicle killer with your scarabs.
Well, I ordered 3 Spiders which I will try next time by dropping one of the Annihilation Barges.

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
I could always go with the pure Warrior horde like I did in the old days:

Overlord
- Orb

Lord 1
- Orb

Lord 2
- Orb

19x Warriors
19x Warriors
19x Warriors

total: 991

then each Warrior squad gets a lord, a split them up (since I don't have to be within 6" of a like model anymore) and march across the field :)

As I noted before "my local meta isn't really marine heavy (we have 1, the rest is DE, Nids, Cron's and Daemons)" there aren't any flyers, maybe the odd Flying MC, but that's different.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
There isn't a whole lot of flexibility in an all-Warrior list.  Even if you're opponents aren't fielding the new nasty 6th ed stuff, Gauss Flayers will only take you so far, even in previous editions.  You would want to include a Monolith at least to give you some teleportation/mobility options, not to mention a weapon that can handle bigger threats than standard bolter fire.

One of my favorite things about the new codex is that we aren't directly rewarded for taking loads of redundant units any more, ie Reanimation Protocols only take models from the same unit into account not nearby models of the same type, so there is a lot of flexibility in what to field even at low points (the cheaper unit costs helps too).  I fully understand the desire to make a functional army with your old models: I'm sitting on over 3000 points of old Necrons and somewhat bitter about how all the best stuff is going to cost me an arm and a leg.  Still, you'd be hard-pressed to meet with much success, I think, if you don't take advantage of any of the new toys and insist on limiting yourself to old ideas.

You have loads of good melee models that have just gotten better with the new book; if you want to make a go of it with just old models, why not run a melee-centric army using your Wraiths, Tomb Spyders, Scarabs (you could start with a reasonable unit and use your extras to bulk it up when the Spyders start spewing them out), and Destroyer Lord/s?  Take Warriors on the cheap for claiming objectives and providing supporting fire, and run amok with a high-speed melee battery.  Looking around, the Wraiths/D-Lord combo is working very well right now, and could be a good way to be effective without dumping all of your money into transports and other flashy new models.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:28:05 PM by Foxfire »

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
So the Wraithwing Tactic survived in some form through the codex shift? I used to run my 3 wraiths with a D-long now and then. The new versions look pretty cool.

It's hard to break out of the "is it a Necron? What's my Orb Coverage? Do I have the redundancy to allow WBB?" mindset. Such basic thoughts for building a Necron list are invalid now.

hmm, a CC based force could be viable? I know RP isn't as strong as WBB, and Warriors did drop to a 4+ sv (very weird). What would you say the minimum squad size should be? I assume 5 man squads are just silly and die fast. Is 10 still generally a good squad size?

CC Concept List

D-lord - 125
Overlord - 105
- Semptineral Weave

10x Warriors - 130
10x Warriors - 130

6x Wraiths - 210
10x Scarabs 150

1x Spyder - 50
1x Spyder - 50
1x Spyder - 50

Stick the D-lord with the Wraiths, use the Spyders as CC buffers, and to boost the Scarabs before haul forward as forward armour killers while Wraiths go for tough units.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Mindshackle Scarabs are your friend, especially in a close combat oriented list. Perhaps the Weave on the Overlord (or even the Overlord himself) isn't necessary. Then you'll have points for Mindshackle Scarabs on the Destroyer Lord and then some points for upgrades elsewhere in the list. If you run into annoying psychic powers, the Gloom Prism on the Spyder isn't a terrible option, and the Wraiths could always use some nice Whip Coils.

Also I'd consider splitting up the unit of Scarabs into two. With the benefit of Spyders making baby Scarabs, a unit of 5 will become 8+ in no time. Plus this will give the enemy more to worry about with which direction Scarabs and Wraiths will be coming from.

I still think you'd want some form of longer range shooting, especially if those Dark Eldar boats float around just out of reach all game.

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
CC Concept List Take 2

D-lord - 140
- Septernial Weave

10x Warriors - 130
10x Warriors - 130

6x Wraiths - 240
- 3x Whip Coils
7x Scarabs - 105
7x Scarabs - 105

1x Spyder - 50
1x Spyder - 50
1x Spyder - 50

Total: 1,000 on the dot :)

Think 20 warriors is enough? I'm debating dropping a Spyder and a Scarab from each group and adding 3 more warriors to each group.

Offline syth773

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
Thanks for the correction Kaiju Senso.  I've been selling off my guard and eldar armies so I played with them a bunch before selling them off and have been a little out of date on the necrons since the 6th FAQ came out (damn you GW for making my monoliths less broken).

@Blindmage:

I think you could easily drop 4 scarabs and add 4 more warriors.  Your spyders could replace 3 of those on turn 1 and add 3 more on turn 2 if they are close enough.

I think it's a workable army.  Bulk up the scarabs with your tomb spyders and send them in tie up the enemy.  Then send in the wraiths, D-lord and spyders to finish off the enemy in close combat.  Use your warriors to keep any vehicles disabled if possible.  If you're up against a close combat army then thin them out with your warriors first and counter attack with your other forces.

The only issues I could see you having is if your opponent brings some long ranged artillery or other large template weapons.  Those would put a lot of hurt on your scarabs and wraiths.

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
that list could defo work but instead of a 7 + 7 scarab split i would take a 5 and 9 that way you can send the larger unit running forward with the wraiths while growing the smaller unit marching up with the spiders

just my oppinion