News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Starting Tau - What to Buy Next?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Starting Tau - What to Buy Next?
« on: March 29, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
Hey. So coming back and starting a new list, and I went with Tau. It looks like you can get good mileage out of fire warriors in this edition which super-excited me, as I always like them a lot but not-so-much the look of suits everywhere.

Anyhow...

I picked up the getting started set (ethereal, 3 crisis, 1 fire warrior squad) and a second box of fire warriors.

I'm not looking for a full list just yet, as I want to keep my collection relatively modest until I actually paint it all up. What would make a good next three or four purchases though? Besides a commander, of course.

I was thinking maybe two devil fish, a squad of path finders, and a third squad of fire warriors?

Any thoughts on ideal squad loadouts (or, perhaps more importantly, are there any weapon options that are simply complete lemons to be avoided?)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Starting Tau - What to Buy Next?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »
With squad load-outs, you don't have that many options, really. Whether you go rifles or carbines is dependent on what you want them to do (and your Sept, to a lesser extent), but you can't go wrong with pulse rifles, overall.

As for what to get next, a Cadre Fireblade is a required purchase for FWs in a Devilfish. The Ethereal is very meh, imho.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
The Ethereal is going to be left on the shelf for the majority if not all games. Just not worth it. A commander will do a far better and more versatile job.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
Any thoughts about what to put on the support turrets and/or drones? Or are neither really worth worrying about much?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:53:18 PM »
Keep the drones to a minimum unless you're after limited screening units. Support turrets depend more on whom you're usually fighting. A good SMS is wonderful for cover saves but a missile pod in time is better for smacking a vehicle when it comes about. For Gun/Marker Drones and the likes you need someone around with a Drone Controller to make them more useful.

There are stratagems that help with this but they're very situational.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:58:02 AM »
Support Turrets are for Strike Teams that are holding still. If they're in a Dfish, skip them. Drones w/Strike Teams I've never found worth it.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
With the right stratagem you're able to use them twice so there is potential for moving on/off objectives while still maintaining utility.
Drink
Knights Tippler