News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New FAQs were posted  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
New FAQs were posted
« on: October 5, 2020, 02:11:36 PM »
GW posted a whole bunch of new and updated FAQs here.  Primarily they are to bring supplement Space Marine chapters in line with the new codex until they have their supplements published, but there are some changes for the Xenos as well (which apparently pisses a lot of them off).

As a Dark Angel player, I am really excited about the changes:
  • Inner Circle Infantry, effectively, all have the Transhuman stratagem
  • Deathwing Command Squads can legitimately protect characters
  • Apothecaries don't bring people back from the dead, but do give a FNP to units
  • The Nephilim Jetfighter is a legitimate Air Superiority Fighter now
  • Dark Talon Rift Cannon?  Yeah... I had to change my pants for that one.
  • Talonmasters are Lieutenants, and can share slots with other Lts

There are some glaring omissions that I think need to be addressed, though.  Sammael, for instance, has apparently lost his Land Speeder; and the Deathwing Ancient is no longer a thing... except for the Relic banner that says it can only be taken by a Deathwing Ancient...

Gotta love GW proofreading
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: New FAQs were posted
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2020, 05:45:53 PM »
From the Imperial Guard perspective, it's just Heavy Bolters everywhere, all the time now, ain't it?

On the Deathwatch front, I like how they differentiated the Kill Teams. But it also drives me nuts because now I have to rebuild my whole damned army.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2020, 05:52:57 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »
My space wolves got some pretty good buffs. Wulfin though lost their Feel no pain, but now always count as being in the assault doctraine, and always count as charging, so they are pretty mean! Thunderwolves being able to run and charge, and getting an extra wound is huge!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »
I just reread through the description at the top of the PDFs.  Apparently I missed the part where everything included was the extent of what was available for the Chapter until their supplement was released.

You know what was missed for the Dark Angels?  Weapons of the Dark Age.

GML is not a happy camper now...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 07:02:15 PM »
On the Deathwatch front, I like how they differentiated the Kill Teams. But it also drives me nuts because now I have to rebuild my whole damned army.

I'm super happy I can finally legally use all those Phobos models I previously bought.  Conversely, losing special issue ammo on so many units & options hurts a lot.  With Veterans going to 2 wounds and Intercessors not getting special issue ammo anymore I'm honestly not sure it's worth fielding Fortis Kill Teams.  And no SIA on Storm Bolters, Bikes, and Terminators is rough.  Hopefully the list of weapons & models that get SIA will be expanded when the actual codex supplement drops in a couple of weeks.

Similarly, the change to Hellfire rounds feels like a pretty big nerf.  Going from a flat 2+ to wound to just a +1 on the wound roll definitely makes the choice of what ammo to use harder.  Need to update my app with the new rules to figure out what the best option is under different circumstances.

On the up-side, DW getting a 300% increase in the number of named characters is nice.  It always bugged me that Cassius and Natorian never had rules in any of the previous codices.

And finally, the biggest improvement to Deathwatch as far as I can tell, is the simple ability to take almost everything in the SM codex.  The only thing they flat-out can't take are Scouts.  Everything else has a pretty obvious replacement data sheet:

- DW Veterans <--> Tac Squad, Sternguard, Devastators
- Vanguard Vets and/or DW Veterans <--> Assault Squad (depending on if you want jump packs or not)
- Veteran Bikes <--> Bikes & Attack Bikes

No more weird restrictions like only being able to take 2 of the Land Raider varients, having access to Primaris Apothecaries but not normal ones, can take Lieutenants now, can take Landspeeders & Predators, etc...  Generally getting a huge boost in variety & options, especially on the vehicle front.

I'm hoping Special Issue Ammo will be more widely available in the final codex version as opposed to the supplement, but generally I think these changes are in the right direction.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
Yeah, the loss of SIA is a huge deal. Changes my whole entire list.

On the bright side, I really always liked Veterans and wanted them to be better.

The amount of modelling I'd have to do to fix the list is such that I'm probably just not playing Deathwatch until something changes.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
I have less of an army and more of just a collection of models with various options.  Probably overloaded on Primaris models, so I really hope they get SIA again in a couple of weeks.  Damage-3 Stalker Bolt Rifles sounds pretty sweet, after all.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting my collectors edition space wolf codex. :)

I have not bought the space marine codex yet, been too busy with playing ynnari and watching over my puppy.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »
I'm interested to see what they do with the Space Wolves in their supplement and how it compares to the PDF.  I know I've been really enjoying my games with the Dark Angels.  It feels so good to get the Deathwing on the table again!
I knew I had fans!!!

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
I hope there are changes. Wulfin really took a hit, and I hope to see sagas return. We'll see this week at some point in the previews.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria