News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Death Guard Marine  (Read 1281 times)

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
Death Guard Marine
« on: May 2, 2020, 10:38:27 AM »
Hi all,

Something that I have long wanted to do is to create a Death Guard 40k army.  I really don't like the current plague marine models as they are too ostentatious, so I had a go at converting my own.

This model came from the Mark III power armour box.  I've added some minor sculpted details and painted it is a "corrupted" scheme that mirrors that of the legion.  I want to go for a less puss, horns, tentacles and miasma of the modern plague marine models and produce something close to how they looked back in the earlier editions.

Anyways, please give me feedback!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Death Guard Marine
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2020, 08:47:45 AM »
Something that I have long wanted to do is to create a Death Guard 40k army.  I really don't like the current plague marine models as they are too ostentatious, so I had a go at converting my own.

I am not sure I would call the new models ostentatious, but I get what you mean. Far too many teeth and tongues.

This model came from the Mark III power armour box.  I've added some minor sculpted details and painted it is a "corrupted" scheme that mirrors that of the legion.  I want to go for a less puss, horns, tentacles and miasma of the modern plague marine models and produce something close to how they looked back in the earlier editions.

Anyways, please give me feedback!

I don't know much about the Death Guard to be honest, but I really like the look of the Mk III armour that you have used.

I like the limited use of tentacles, but I think you should add some rust to your scheme just to finish it off.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2020, 07:14:20 PM »
The model looks great! Mk3 armour really suits them! (The current plastic models you can tell are heavily inspired by mk3).

It definitely looks like it stepped right out of the horus heresy. I do think that to suit the current aesthetic, it needs to look more bloated, it'll help make it look more like a plague marine, rather than a chaos space marine.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »
Thank you for replies.

Yes, this is only a model to test the idea, but I'm not really happy with it.  It looks like what a plague marine might look like at the Siege of Terra (i.e., recently corrupted), but I think it needs more...Nurgle.

Regarding the current models, I use the word ostentatious as whilst they are interesting models, I find them to be almost comical in the level of mutation and "bells and whistles".  I much preferred the metal plague marines of the 3.5 codex.  They looked sick, but they also looked damn sinister.

One thing that is bothering me is the colour of the power-cables on the back pack.  I painted them to match the plasma generator of the plasma gun, and the eyes are the same.  I intended this to be a spot colour to contrast the armour, but I think it looks almost too clean and bright.  What do you guys think?

I'm going to go back to the drawing board and see what I come up with.  This little guy, however, will instead be gracing my desk at work haha.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2020, 05:42:30 AM »
One thing that is bothering me is the colour of the power-cables on the back pack.  I painted them to match the plasma generator of the plasma gun, and the eyes are the same.  I intended this to be a spot colour to contrast the armour, but I think it looks almost too clean and bright.  What do you guys think?

I was actually going to comment on how good I thought the plasma gun looked, but didn't in the end.

Because of the low contrast of your photos I must admit that I didn't really notice the power cables. Now that you have pointed them out I can't really make my mind up about them. I think in theory they should work, but I think I agree with you and they look a bit too clean and bright.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2020, 01:53:32 PM »

I think the execution of the painting is excellent and that the scheme looks terrific overall. I get what you're saying about it being a bit too clean and not Nurgley enough...it's a tough balance to achieve. Maybe a touch of sponge weathering here and there might just add enough without making the model look messy.

The new sculpts, while brilliant...are definitely OTT in a few places. I found there to be too many cables and boils and things going on.

As for the spot colour? I think that it's a brilliant, clean finish...which is why it's maybe wrong. I did exactly the same with my plasma guy when I painted (check my thread Looshkin's Everything Thread - Garrek's Reavers/Crimson Fists/Goblins for the before and after shots) him...went blue first and later changed to purple, because blue was too clean.

So maybe look at the colour palette for the model and decide whether blue is the right way to go. Purple would work. I think that, without as much green as most Death Guard, a colour like orange might be quite interesting. Very interesting actually...I'd love to see orange plasma coils!

It's a great model though malicant. As always, you've really knocked it out of the park. Great work buddy.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2020, 05:20:28 AM »
Issue 451 of White Dwarf had a Nurgle painting guide. For pre-heresy Guard it suggested adding rust and oil streaks to the white armour as the way of indicating the marine had been infected.

I like the blue plasma gun a lot, but Looshkin definitely knows what he is on about when it comes to painting so maybe he is on to something with the orange.

I think you should try adding more green to the marine's armour, adding oil streaks to the blue cabling and then add rust in appropriate places.