News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Bad Blood" : GAME thread  (Read 3658 times)

Offline The Slann

• Are you sure?
Re: "Bad Blood" : GAME thread
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2004, 02:51:44 AM »
[ooc] Erm, just to say, if my result was that close, shouldn't it be a close, but not close enough result?

Offline Larandil

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2004, 07:56:26 AM »
Counterreasons for Wraith Dragon:

The thick undergrowth that made the jungle such a pain to the Guard Sentinels will affect the Marine Scouts, too - unless they stick to deer paths and clearings, where they will encounter Imperial Guard doing the same.

The Marine scouts' enhanced senses will have to deal with limited visual range due to the dense foliage, intense scents and all sorts of animal noises.

The Space Wolf Rhinos and Predators (painted in the chapters' grey colour scheme) will stand out against the lush green of the plains, making it that much easier for the Guard scouts to spot them.
Too much Mon-Keigh business
for me to be involved in!

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2004, 11:19:18 AM »
  Ok, the results are in...  And my god, it's exactly the same as Lomendil's.  The number was 65, once again, and I rolled 66.  And, like Lomendil's, it is a failure.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2004, 06:55:50 PM »
[ooc] Erm, just to say, if my result was that close, shouldn't it be a close, but not close enough result?

Nice try, bucko, but that ain't how it works. :P ;) It's outlined on the rules thread (link is in the first post of this thread), but I'll post the rules here again because I'm such a considerate chap.

1) Umpire considers the Intent, Reasons and Counters and comes up with an overall percentage chance for the task to succeed based on them.

2) Umpire rolls a D100. If the number is less or equal to the percentage chance that he decided then the Intent succeeds. If the number rolled is more than the percentage chance then it fails.

3) To work out what kind of success or faliure the D100 is rolled again. If it is 10 or lower, it gives an Abyssmal Faliure or Scrape Through Success depending on whether the Intent succeeded or failed in the previous step. If it is 11 to 89 then the result is just a normal Faliure or Success. If it is 90 to 100 then the result is an Outstanding Success or a Close, But Not Close Enough.

Offline The Slann

• Are you sure?
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2004, 03:01:33 AM »
OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Larandil

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2004, 02:56:40 AM »
Hmm ... while I could just start with Intent and Reasons for the next round, Wraith Dragon's post and the possibility of the Guards stumbling into Space Wolves (and living to tell the tale!) would certainly influence Spengler's take on things ...

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2004, 04:31:39 AM »
so should I post my Intent?
I am the Red Daemon, the spinner of tales and stories.  Come, sit, and hear of great heroes of old and of heroes to come.  If you like, I'll turn even you into a hero.  Just try not to get killed along the way, hehehe.

Offline Dark Flame

• Ancient
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2004, 04:25:35 PM »
  First, we need Wraith Dragon to type up the results of his intents failure.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2004, 07:40:29 PM »
He'd better hurry up, I get annoyed if it takes too long.

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2004, 02:55:37 AM »
*twiddles thumbs, taps foot, checks watch*..... :-\
I am the Red Daemon, the spinner of tales and stories.  Come, sit, and hear of great heroes of old and of heroes to come.  If you like, I'll turn even you into a hero.  Just try not to get killed along the way, hehehe.

Offline Dark Flame

• Ancient
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2004, 07:01:26 PM »
  You know, I'd say that if he doesn't do anything soon, his result should get worse, or someone else should take his place.  Does anyone know if he still checks EO?

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2004, 09:31:22 PM »
He hasn't been online for 11 days. Alright then, I'm booting him off and I'll take his place if no-one here objects. I haven't RPed in too long. I'll leave the Umpiring in DF's capable hands, it only really takes one person.

Offline Dark Flame

• Ancient
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2004, 09:35:40 PM »
  Ok then, I'm glad you trust me enough to do this alone.  Though Wargamer's supposed to be helping...

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2004, 07:08:29 PM »
Okay, since Wraith just posted, that means Larandil's turn is set to go, right?  Or did he want me to take the turn before him?

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2004, 07:31:23 PM »
I'm not sure. Larandil has to take his turn before yours, though he can 'skip' the turn and do nothing if he wants - the assumption is that whatever events occured from his last Intent are still happening. He can't take his turn after yours though, no swapping places.

Offline Larandil

« Reply #55 on: July 1, 2004, 02:44:32 PM »
Intent:
Spengler intends to split up his group. One party will enter the underground section and try to make its way into the bowels of the structure, while the other half will search for another entrance above the ground and maintain contact with the Guards.

Reasons:
If the underground passages lead to a dead end, another way in can be used.

If the Guard regiment encounters stray elements of the Warfleet's forces, Spengler's group can still throw his Inquisitorial authority into the balance - once they learn about it.

Some members of Spengler's party are perfectly suited for crypts and tunnels while others are not. Splitting up allows both groups to use their strengths to the best.

P.S.:
I'll be leaving soon for a weekend with friends, fun and very limited access to the web. So don't grow worried if I don't reply to counterreasons and arbiter decisions before Sunday evening or later - I'm probably having a ball.

P.P.S.:
It was almost all the fun I could handle, and then some. I'm tired, there's way too much caffeine in my system, I need a shower and my bed ... and I'd do it all again. 8)
And then I'll be back to take apart the Empire. Promise! ;)
« Last Edit: July 4, 2004, 12:38:15 PM by Larandil »

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #56 on: July 3, 2004, 06:31:13 PM »
Wraith Dragon is also occupied - his comp broke and he only has access every two weeks now. So, I'm taking over for all his off-days, he'll come back once he gets his comp fixed. This means DF will have to do all the Umpiring after all.

Right, Counters:

- Splitting the group will weaken the splinter-parties which could be dangerous if either get into combat situations alone.

- Communications between the two groups - particularly with one of them being underground - could be difficult

- The Space Marines may not accept the absolute authority of the Inquisitor unless he presents it in person, along with the relevant security codes, etc etc. This may encourage him to remain above the surface, perhaps with larger numbers as protection, with only a tiny party venturing underground.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2004, 09:56:41 PM »
OK, with Dark Flame away and me being unable to drum up another Umpire I'll just have to do that too, you can trust me to be even-handed. ;)

Result for Larandil's Intent:

- Scrape Through Success

2 counters and 3 Reasons, or 1 counter and 2 Reasons.

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2004, 04:32:35 PM »
Intent: My forces in the southern jungle, the island to the east, and those in the ruins just behind the jungle will attempt to spot the Space Marine battlegroups.

Reasons:
1. There are TWO space marine battle groups sitting now on the edge of the jungle I'm occupying; that's a lot of big power armored bodies!

2. All those space marines are mounted in noisy bikes, speeders, and rhinos.

3. By this time all of my forces have finished deploying and our now busy scanning the area with range finder scopes, scanners and sentinel walkers

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2004, 11:48:26 PM »
OK, counter-reasons. I'd wait for Tomb-Lord to post, but I wanna build up some speed here to get this back on track.

Counters:

1 - Space Marines may spot the oncoming Imperial Guard first, and so be able to hide in time

2 - The Jungle is dense and hot and full of noisy lifeforms, all of which makes scouting difficult.

3 - The Imperial Guard have already been having problems with their communication equipment so even if they do spot the Space Marines they won't necessarily be able to communicate that fact to their command staff.

Umpiring:

For honesty and transparency I'll show the whole process here this time

I gave a base chance for the Intent to succeed of 50%
Reason 1 gives +10%
Reason 2 gives +10%
Reason 3 gives +15%
Counter 1 gives - 5%
Counter 2 gives - 7.5%
Counter 3 gives - 7.5%

Final chance to succeed is 65%

Result

A 58 was rolled on the D100, so that means the Intent succeeds.

A 31 was rolled to work out what kind of success it was, so that means that the Intent is a plain SUCCESS. 3 Reasons and 1 Counter or 2 Reasons and no Counters for the write-up.

Tomb Lord's turn next.