News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gav Thorpe's Phoenix Lords <Potential Spoilers>  (Read 1754 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Gav Thorpe's Phoenix Lords <Potential Spoilers>
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:37 AM »
So Asurman and Jain Zar have been good reads, but I wondering what other fans are thinking on his take of the Phoenix Lords fluff.

(Trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can here).

I had always imagined that there was more of a direct devine intervention into their existance, the way Gav is approaching it appears to be tip toeing around dumb luck being interpreted as "signs".

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Gav Thorpe's Phoenix Lords <Potential Spoilers>
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
@Magenb- Hey bud we actually just did an interview with Gav Thorpe on Splintermind! It should be up really soon. To be honest I agree with you to a large extent. Not a fan of the PL's origin story... always imagined them as mighty warriors of the Aeldari empire who thought along lines of the Exodites and Craftworlders.... Stay tuned to Splintermind though... that interview should be up today or tomorrow!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »
@Magenb- Hey bud we actually just did an interview with Gav Thorpe on Splintermind! It should be up really soon. To be honest I agree with you to a large extent. Not a fan of the PL's origin story... always imagined them as mighty warriors of the Aeldari empire who thought along lines of the Exodites and Craftworlders.... Stay tuned to Splintermind though... that interview should be up today or tomorrow!

Yeah, I thought the same thing, warriors before the fall who were some how touched/blessed by their dead gods, perhaps even their armour being artificates from a time long before the fall, found in some long forgotten temple.

I hope he will bring more of a devine link back into it, he hasn't really touched on how the immortal part happened just yet, so maybe something might happen there.

There are some nice insights though, I did like the way he described their armour as growning on them in the final parts and the change in attitude the DE had towards the end. Although I would have thought PL's would have been a bit more hostile to DE since they are effectively still doing the same stupid stuff that gave rise to she who thirsts in the first place.

That's awesome you were able to get him on your show, I've been wondering when the next ep would go up :)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
Well, the immortality part is due to a mini-infinity circuit built into the armour, which fuses the souls of everyone who's worn the armour, albeit with the personality of the first warrior being dominant. That was the fluff back when I last read about it at least, I think.

I must admit I haven't looked into this series, and don't know too much about what you're talking about at the moment, but Gav Thorpe has written some great lore in the past, iirc, so hopefully he's got something figured out.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2017, 07:37:28 AM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2017, 05:10:03 AM »
Well, the immportality part is due to a mini-infinity circuit built into the armour, which fuses the souls of everyone who's worn the armour, albeit with the personality of the first warrior being dominant. That was the fluff back when I last read about it at least, I think.

That's effectively what happens at the end of Path of the Warrior and is consistent with the lore which was introduced in the second edition Eldar Codex.  I don't have any of my old sources with me to be able to check, but I cannot recall divinity playing a significant role in the immortality and re-birth of a Phoenix Lord,
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
hmm dug out the old 2nd edition codex, The Armour and weapons of the PL are picked up and put on, much like the way Gav explains the Exarch process, don't mind the way he is explaining how it happens now.

some of the PL were around before the fall and were heroes during the cataclysm, it does not specify if those listed in the book were from said times, so up to you which way you read it, but I thought they were.

The divinity thing was more about how they were being guided to the final battle, but turns out it is a bunch of seers held in a special infinity circuit that can read the skein all the way to the end.