News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57509 times)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar)
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 06:22:36 AM »
That greenstuff works wonders on the bike. It looks much smoother now.

Also congratulations on your victory over the Eldar!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »
Okay, here's the thirty boyz as promised and it took some serious determination to slug through it. Still have a detail here or there to do and the basing needs to be completed, but I wanted to give an update before too long. Well there's really 29 boyz less a nob that's still in the works. Thought a group shot would work the best, as they are all painted in the same scheme and if you've seen one boy, you've seen them all.

Going to get the whole nurgle army primed and ready for paint next. Might start knocking off some deffkoptas, as well. So many choices, so little time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:25:17 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »
Yeomens work my friend thats what painting 29 models is! lol They look great though. I love the pallet you've chosen and the execution is really nice and clean which is hard on those very detailed models. Nice modelling too ecclectic but cohesive. Keep it up man we want moar!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
Thought a group shot would work the best, as they are all painted in the same scheme and if you've seen one boy, you've seen them all.

Careful dog_of_war that reads like you are fed up with Boyz. Just like Santa, Skeetergod might be watching and adding your name to some sort of list.

Seriously though I agree with Cav. I like how smooth the green looks and I like how overall your paint scheme lends the group an air of murderous intent.

I notice your bases look clean in the pictures. Do you paint your models off of the base?

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the praise guys. I do enjoy painting boyz, but I should have tried to do only ten at a time instead of tackling all thirty, although it definitely adds to the cohesion. I'm thinking of repainting the skin tones of my other thirty boyz unit, as its just too light in comparison and I want the army to read as a unified force. I think I'll hold off, as the other models still don't have a lick of paint yet.

@Alienscar I actually paint all my models on their intended bases. I normally do get a little paint on the base when I do the boots, but I've kept the boots black like my other boyz unit, so its spared me from any retouches to the bases. I still need to base them with sand and flock and I always love painting the base rim in an army colour, but I'm going to wait until I get everyone done first before I pick my colours.

As I've included eldar in my title, I might as well show off some of my pointy ears. The majority of the army is complete, but I'll give you some little tid bits over time just to keep you nibbling and give me time to work on all my other armies.

The leaders of my warhost:

*edit* I've finally finished my first batch of deffkoptas. Wanted to keep the bloodaxe theme, but stay orky by keeping the paint jobs somewhat unique. The only one I had trouble with is the far left one in the picture that is supposed to suggest tau, but I may rework it into a more traditional camo pattern.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:22:31 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »
Looking really good man. Very nice clean application, bright vibrant colors. Love those Deffcoptas! Some of the best models GW's ever released for Orks. Just my preference but I think some basing would look really good on their flight stands. Not everyone does it but I think it looks sharp. Anyway man keep up the great work and make sure you keep us updated!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »
Completely agree that they are one of the best ork models released by GW. It's such a shame that they never released them outside of the boxed set. Fortunately eBay is swimming with them and I have plenty more to paint. I think I've got ten in total to date.

I never would have thought of painting the clear base, but I can envision it looking pretty sharp. I'll have to do a test or two on some spare bases I have kicking around before I come up with a theme. In fact, I'm holding off on all the bases for the ork and chaos army at the moment until I make my decision. The eldar I'm set on the lava and black rock, as it really sets off the models. I was thinking brown or black rock with dead grass for the orks, with a nod to Armageddon and for chaos I was thinking more black rock with snow. Once I finish painting 1500 points of either, I'll post some sample bases for feedback. If anyone has suggestions for basing, I'd love to hear them.

I recently had so many projects on the go, I'll have to get some photos up of all of the, soon. I've built a games table from scratch through December. It has an exact 4'x6' playing surface that can be removed and changed to insert a different landscape i.e. forest world, ice world, desolate world etc...

I've also found someone more local to have over and try out the table. He hasn't played since 4th edition, so I'm bringing him up to speed. He's currently running a Slannesh army full of noise marines. We had a primer game of 1000 points each, in which I used my nurgle army as a teacher, to keep the special rules to a minimum. For the next few games, we are going to escalate a few hundred points at a time and I'll keep my army chaos until he's comfortable to face a different race. No battle report for the first one, as it was full of mistakes and back-tracking on both our ends (it's been a while since I've had to teach someone the game), but I promise to report on our second meeting in two weeks.

As my chaos army has its marching orders, I better start getting it painted. The following photos are my two plague marine squads with champions that I was able to knock out over the past two weeks. The green was done based in Death World Forest, washed with Athonian Camoshade and then drybrushed with Ogryn Camo. The brown was based with Steel Legion Drab, drybrushed with Zamesi Desert, and finally washed with Agrax Earthshade. There's still some detailing left to do, mostly on the brown unit, but I wanted to give you guys something to look at.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:26:18 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 07:22:52 AM »
These are looking great! Love the use of the Raptor (Warp Talon?) legs for your Sergeants... the paint job and modeling is really really nice. The skull head guys are fantastic too. Congrats on finding another local player man is it tough when you've gotta search out players in your area.

If you are gonna paint your bases my advice is just wrap some tape around the flight stand and prime the base with any kind of primer. Then you can put some sand down re-prime it and then dry brush it. Its really easy and really snazzy if you end up going down that route. Yet even the great Scorpion82 doesn't paint his flight stands so you are in no way obligated.

Anyway man really loving your various projects and all the fun details you put into your models. Keep up the great work I'm really enjoying it  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
The forces of Nurgle are looking very impressive and suitably decayed.  You've done a great job with both the painting and the modelling on those figures.  I hope that we get to see them in action soon.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #29 on: March 5, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
Just an update on my table that I built over December. Started from scratch using 2x6s and 2x4s to build a frame to house an exact 4x6 playing surface. The base surface is chip board and the playing surface is a removable particle board that can be flipped or replaced to allow different playing surfaces. I used fine aquarium sand and outdoor deck stain to base it. The legs are 4x4s that are attached with carriage bolts, so that the table can be broken down and moved. The whole build is very much overkill, as I could stand on this table without it budging, but with two small kids at home, I wanted it to be sturdy enough to withstand their abuse.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:59:45 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #30 on: March 7, 2016, 06:56:09 AM »
I love your board man! Thats exactly what me and my brother want to do. The storage space beneath, the height, the modular tabletop all brilliant. It really makes gaming at home so much easier when all you have to do is get out the terrain and play. Great job man and brilliantly executed. Gotta show this to my brother later today!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #31 on: March 8, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »
Thanks Cav, appreciate the love. It was a lot adjusting on the fly, as I wanted everything to be level and true, which is tough when your building it for a sloping basement floor, using construction materials that are never 100% straight. If I were to add to it, I would look into building in leg levelers.

Here's an update from what I've been working on the last week. Decided to paint some obliterators up. I had a set of three plastic and I founf a good deal on a fourth metal one on eBay that arrived just in time for the paint job. I started with a base of Steel Drab Legion and then dry brushed Zamesi Desert. I then used a heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade. For the living metal, I decided to move away from the standard skin tones and painted it as raw flesh, almost exposed muscle. I used the old Scab Red and washed with the old Flesh Wash that gives it a shine. The same could be accomlished if you don't shake your Agrax Earthshade for a long time and just take the top layer of cover with 'ardcoat. The metal was just a base black, drybrushed with Boltgun and then washed with Agrax again. Going to be adding some Typus Corrosion to some highlighted spots, once all the washes are dry.

Up next are either my Chaos Spawn or my bike squad with the sorcerer.

You can see the works in progress left to right.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:13:17 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »
With all that ork hype coming up this week, I thought I'd finish up another boyz mob to give me a total of two thirty model units. These were a repaint, so they only took a few days and was mostly focused on getting the skin tones to match my most recent models and to redo any key shading that was done poorly, as these guys were originally done pre-gw-wash era.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:09:46 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
Oh man both posts are sick DoW. The Obliterators look fantastic and so do the Orks. Your skin tone and gore are SUPER nice. Also I really like the colors on your Chaos stuff it has a very realistic "grit of a thousand battlefields" look to it which I always appreciate on anything Imperial or Chaos.

BTW are you going to have any games on your table soon? I want a bat-rep! lol

Anyway great stuff man keep it up!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 09:43:04 AM »
Thanks Cav. I normally prefer the effect of edge highlighting, as I do with my Eldar, rather than the drybrush highlighting I do with Orks and Chaos, but the models are just so busy with detail, it's almost impossible to make the edges not look messy after. The gore was after a lot of experimentation with different old inks and washes. I think it still needs a little Blood For The Blood God.

I actually have a game planned a week today with my brother's Nids. Photos and batrep will be forthcoming ASAP.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 11:03:03 PM »
So my brother decided to up the ante and plan on a 2000 point game. This will be the first time I'll be facing Nid's with their latest codex and in 7th core rules. He's insisted I play my Eldar, as he didn't get to face them much in, as I just starting playing the army the year before 6th dropped.

I've been frantically building scenery to accommodate 2000 point game, as we will use the full 4x6 table and want to ensure that there is adequate terrain, so the game doesn't become a simple shoot-out.

I've also dusted off the Howling Banshees, finished basing them and added an exarch finally. Hopefully they get to see some action and not just get blasted off the board, as they did all through 6th edition.

Below is the list I'm going with. No idea what he's bringing, but as all his models are at my house, I'm assuming it's tervigons, mawlocs, warriors, a hive tyrant, zoanthropes, hive guard, and lots and lots of gaunts

CAD [737]
Farseer singing spear
Farseer Skyrunner singing spear

Windriders with scatterlasers x 3
Wraithlord x2 flamers, Shuriken Cannon x2 ghostglaive

Avenger Shrine [390]
Dire Avengers x10
Dire Avengers x10
Dire Avengers x10

Aspect Host [484]
Howling Banshees x9 + exarch executioner
Scorpions x9 + exarch claw
Warp Spiders x5 + exarch

Aspect Host [385]
Warp Spiders x5 + exarch
Swooping Hawks x6 + exarch sunrifle
Dark Reapers x4 + exarch

Total 1996

I also made a sweet find at the local second hand shop that I can hopefully use to beef up some terrain.

Well, wish me luck on Saturday. I have yet to beat my brother's Nids, but I've come close in the past.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:07:43 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 05:51:18 AM »
The accessories boxed set looks promising.

The Howling Banshees look very impressive painted like that, so even if they do not perform well they'll look good on the table.  I'm not sure that Tyranids are the best army for them to go up against, but you've got plenty of fire power to soften up those hordes before the Banshees engage them.

Good luck :).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 07:07:44 AM »
Hey the Banshees look great DoW. I love your color choices they really pop and are super clean. I actually prefer the really bold vibrant way your armor looks to my own. For whatever reason (perhaps its the dark red) my guys always look more blended than I really want. Anyway love the Banshees man and I think they'll do well for you. Just keep them out of LOS as long as possible and hop between terrain pieces with their super awesome run moves and you'll be fine.

The list looks super fun too. I ran something similar against Tau a few months back and it was great fun. Not sure what your brother has (i'm assuming he's not spamming flying hive tyrants) but if its a more classic nids build you should do great and have a real nice bust-up.

Love the terrain kit too... I picked up some stuff from Tamiya (same company that made that kit you picked up) and its phenomenal. Their set with barrels and sandbags is brilliant.

Anyway have fun man and make sure you take lots of pics, good luck I'll be rooting for ya

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »
Well, I had my first game with my brother in a long time and after meeting up an hour later than expected and not having the proper programs on my computer to read his codex and army lists and having to start from scratch, we were finally able to have our long awaited game. We also trimmed the game to 1750, due to the lack of time and it was the easiest list he could build. We called it only after 3 turns, partially due to time, but it also ended up being a little bit of a blow-out by the eldar. Now a lot of the issues I believe stemmed from having a non-optimal list, having to redo his army on the flash and basing his typical list from 5th edition, as well as two tactical mistakes, which I'll cover after the report. I'd really appreciate some feedback for him on his list and strategy to help him out, as it was a little disheartening for him after years of consistently savaging my armies. All is models are not painted and can be easily converted to i.e. trygons to mawlocs.

Without further ado, here are the lists:

Eldar - "Nid Avengers"
CAD [477]
Farseer Skyrunner singing spear
   Rune of Fate - Doom, Executioner, Mind War, Guide
Avenger Shrine [390]
Dire Avengers x10
Dire Avengers x10
Dire Avengers x10
Aspect Host [484]
Howling Banshees x9 + exarch executioner
Scorpions x9 + exarch claw
Warp Spiders x5 + exarch
Aspect Host [385]
Swooping Hawks x6 + exarch sunrifle
Dark Reapers x4 + exarch
Warp Spiders x5 + exarch
Total [1736]

Tyranids
1 tervigon - paroxysm, dominion
1 tervigon - warp blast, dominion
1 tyranid prime- lash whip and bone sword, toxin sacks
5 tyranid warriors venomcannon,toxin sacks
27 termagants
20 gargoyles
5 hive guards
2 trygons, toxin sacks
3 zoanthropes warp blast, dominion, catalyst

We rolled for Purge The Alien, Hammer & Anvil setup. Tyranids setup first, and go first. I do not steal initiative.

Turn 1 - Nids
Everyone moves forward. Tervigons spawn 11 and 10. In the psychic, rolls a 2 for warp flux and tries paroxysm on my avengers and I deny. Shooting phase sees spawned gaunts run, hive guard fire into scorpions and they make all their saves, but lose three to the warriors that fire on them next. Terivgons fire stinger salvos, as well and I lose one more.

Turn 1- Eldar
Everything moves up the board. Roll 2 for the warp flux. I doom the far left tervigon. Shooting phase sees farseer's scatbikes fire into tervigon, causing 8 wounds, 2 saves fail with dark reapers stripping another 2 wounds. The other unit of scatbikes take a wound off the warriors. Scorpions fire on a gaunt squad and kill 5. Avenger formation bladestorms and fires 90 shots into his unwounded tervigon, causing 10 rending wounds, and fails he exactly 6 saves. Tervigon blows up, the lead squad that spawn all dies. Scorpions run. Assault phase sees banshees assault gaunts and wipe them out.

Turn 2 - Nids
Gargoyles and trygon come in from reserve. Gargoyles deep strike behind the reapers. They deviate into terrain and lose three to dangerous terrain tests. Trygon comes in behind the reapers as well. Remaining tervigon spawns 10 and moves to the back field. Gaunts move to intercept banshees, second gaunt unit moves to intercept avatar, while the warriors set their sights on some avengers.

Roll 4 for the warp flux and paroxysm is denied on banshees. Gaunts kill 2 banshees in shooting. spawned gaunts shoot and kill two more. Central gaunts fire into avatar with no results. Warriors fire into closest avengers and I lose one wound on the avatar and an avenger due to deviation of his venom cannon, devorers kill another three avengers. The remaining tervigon stinger salvos into banshees, nothing. Hive guard fires into avatar and he takes six wounds, but makes all his saves. Trygon fires into reapers and lose 2. gargoyles fire into reapers with no results.

Gaunts charge into banshees, overwatch does nothing. They make their charge ramge by rolling a 7. Surprisingly the banshess only cause two wounds while the gaunts kill everyone, but the exarch. I fail morale and run. Luckily the gaunts, do not catch her. Central gaunts charge the avatar, he kills one overwatch and they fail their 8" charge and roll a 3. Warriors charge avengers and fail.

Turn 2 - Eldar
Banshee exarch fails to rally, runs 7. Only 1 spider comes in from reserve. Warp flux is a 6. I doom the warriors and cast executioner, but the latter was denied. Shooting sees scatbikes into warriors, 11 wounds, one unsaved which removes a model. Avengers fire into warriors and remove a model. Second avengers fire and cause a few more, as well as the avatars wailing doom. Warp spiders fire into hive guard and cause 3 wounds, losing a model. Reapers fire into last tervigon and remove him, but he only loses 2 or 3 gaunts when he blows. Last scatbikes fire into warriors and remove one wound to take out the prime. The last avengers unit wipe out the central gaunts.

Assault sees avatar charges remaining warriors and wipes them out. Scorpions charge a gaunt unit and wipes them out.

Turn 3 - Nids
No synapse creatures, so everyone takes instinctive behaviour. Gaunts run and hide, trygon is forced to charge without shooting, gargoyles end up hiding, but can still shoot as they are in a building. Last trygon and 3 zoanthropes come in from reserve. Zoans show up in front of spiders, trygon in front of scorpions.

Warp flux of 2 and he warp blasts the spiders, which don't deny and flickerjump doesn't save them. All die in a blaze of warp energy. Gargoyles fire at the fleeing banshee exarch and fail to wound her. Trygon charges reapers and wipe them out.

Turn 3 - Eldar
Banshees arrive from reserve and grenade pack the zoanthropes and gaunts removing a few wounds. Last spiders stay in reserve. Warp flux rolls a 3 and I try to mind war the trygon, perils but goes off and I accept the wound. We only tie in roll off. I then fire doom at the trygon with my last two dice and it goes off and he fails to deny even though he throws all 5 dice he has at it.

Scorpions, jetbikes and one avenger unit fires into the trygon and kill him with the help of the doom. Hawks fire into guard and cause 3 wounds and blind them. bikes fire into the same, but to no avail.

At this point we call the game is its after 2:00am and he still has an hour drive back to his place.

Nids x3 units, linebreaker (4)
Eldar x9 units, linebreaker, slay the warlord, first blood (12)

The biggest shock for him I think was that I was able to kill a tervigon first turn, which has never happened to him before. He usually plays very aggressively and he is usually facing orks and chaos. Having his tervigons front and center really allowed me to use my battle focus to get just enough range to unleash my fire power, but not close enough for him to charge me. He also placed way to much importance on my banshees and reapers, which only caused nominal damage. He did this so much so, that he dedicated several hundred points in the back field to deal with the reapers that left them isolated from the rest of the battle. I think if he had started more units on the board and less in reserve, I would have been tempted to concentrate my fire power on different target priorities, allowing him to overwhelm me. He also should have split up his warriors to provide more synapse.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:02:06 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the report :).

I know too little about Tyranids to be able to comment much about them, but I'm sure your analysis is correct.  Regarding the Eldar though, I think that your target priority was spot on and that you provided a great example on how well infantry Eldar can manoeuvre around the board these days.  It's so enjoyable to see Eldar armies no longer making use of so many transports in this edition.

Congratulations on your victory :).